Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
May 6, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #8,071 of 11,833
I find a lot of tube combinations sound very good on Elise / Euforia.

The Mullards with Psvane sounds good but so does Tung Sol 6sn7gtb (60's black base) with Bendix 6080wb slotted plates. Pct were singing their praises and I agree with his ears.

Good luck with selling the EL tubes but I'm going through an interesting phase now. Shopping for a new DAC.... :o2smile:

Now if you excuse me, I need to read more about multibit dacs and Gumby in particular.
You are excused—I kinda envy you! Looking forward to yours and @hypnos1 impressions on the impact these new DACs bring into the mix.
TungSol and Bendix don't look like a prohibitive sum of $ to try out; if I get any money out of the EL tubes I'll probably give them a try, thanks!

May 6, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #8,072 of 11,833
Pct, you are not alone in the universe. JT has a Bimby too with his Elise. Pretty sure @HOWIE13 has a Mimby too but he doesn't talk about it much now. I think he's using a Audiolab M-DAC now.

I don't really care about DSD and hirez. I don't have much of those files. I do have a lot of good quality CDs, Chesky included. I find Tidal HiFi good enough for me. So I'm looking for a DAC that does 16/44 or Redbook very well. That is where I understand multibit or the ladder dacs do well. Ladder is important. Helps me to get to the lower part of the garden... ok I'm thinking of a different deck now.

Maybe you can think of multibit as:

My apologies to Led Zeppelin for choosing Neil Sedaka over them.

PS. Glad to learn I'm don't have to be the Lone Ranger here. Maybe JT, Howie and I can be the Three Amigoes

May 8, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #8,073 of 11,833
go for it!

May 8, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #8,075 of 11,833
Per your quote "
PS. Glad to learn I'm don't have to be the Lone Ranger here. Maybe JT, Howie and I can be the Three Amigoes"
Coffee is done for today, ripping cd's to Sony Hap s1 using multi-pass (very slow) but no errors. Ripping to Wav files for these and find them as good if not better than ripping to flac, mp3. Have plenty of room for collection now, so don't need to compress. As always ymmv

May 9, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #8,076 of 11,833
Hi all, anyone tried to EQ their headphones as per this guide? I'm enticed to try it out for myself, so I wonder whether there's any prior experience in this respect.

May 9, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #8,077 of 11,833
If you are using Jriver or any software that uses VST plugins this is an excellent file. You can try for 21 days free gives a list of headphones that they have already eq'd
http://www.sonarworks.com/

May 9, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #8,078 of 11,833
Just got my Elise and I'm loving it.

For those who had the pleasure of trying different tubes on the Elise, which tubes provides the warmest tone?

I'm pairing it with the HD800 and I want to try and achieve the warm tubey sound.

The stock tubes sounds amazing with my El-8

May 9, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #8,079 of 11,833
May 10, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #8,081 of 11,833
Just got my Elise and I'm loving it.

For those who had the pleasure of trying different tubes on the Elise, which tubes provides the warmest tone?

I'm pairing it with the HD800 and I want to try and achieve the warm tubey sound.

The stock tubes sounds amazing with my El-8

Good to hear you are loving Elise with your HD800. For a really warm tone, try RCA 6SN7gt vt231 smoke glass and RCA 6as7g. Might be too warm. :o2smile:

May 11, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #8,083 of 11,833
Hi All,

Many thanks for your DAC suggestions, lots to read about. Can someone please translate a Bimby/Mimby? are these Schiit DAC's too & if so which ones?

My Mullard 6080's arrived today, going to try them with the Psvanes first:)

Mimby=Schiit Modi Multibit
Bimby=Schiit Bifrost Multibit.

Strictly speaking they should have had an i at the end not a y

You can read all about them on Schiit's very good website.

I am using Mimby at present and it sounds very good to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back