Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Mar 5, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #7,276 of 11,833
Nope he is on the other thread!

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #7,278 of 11,833
Depends on how much you charge and what liability I would face by doing such a bold action!

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #7,279 of 11,833
  Depends on how much you charge and what liability I would face by doing such a bold action!

I have three hungry mouths to feed, not to mention an insatiable tube addiction that demands to always be fed first. So it's a lot
eek.gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #7,280 of 11,833
Hi FR,

Thanks for the updated table. However, I could not find the amplification factor for EL11, EL12, EL12N and EL12 Spezial. Maybe we have to ask Oskari for the German word for amplification/gain factor on the spec sheets?

Edit: Here are a number of spec sheets but I don't know the name of what I am looking for:

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheetsE1.html

Actually, the name is Farsterkungsfaktor but I can't find it listed for the EL11-12 tubes.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #7,281 of 11,833
What about Siemens EL12? Are they in any way inferior?

Siemens are definitely not inferior to any EL12 or EL12N I've heard, including Telefunken, Valvo, RFT and RWN.

I know it's tempting to try and define their differences but in all honesty I can't say they differ much, if at all.

At one time I thought Telefunken and Valvo were a bit warmer and RFT and RWM a bit clearer and dynamic, but the more I listen and move the tubes around the more they all sound similar.

All excellent sounding as UT has posted above. I just mix and match without looking any more at the manufacturer. I couldn't afford a full set of 4 or 6 of each anyway.
biggrin.gif

The only one which may be a bit different is the spez of any manufacturer which may be a little more neutral ie a little less bright at the top end-but it's all relative because all these EL11/12 tubes are only slightly bright of neutral anyway-nothing fatiguing, just enough to give vitality and energy to the music.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #7,282 of 11,833
  Hi FR,

Thanks for the updated table. However, I could not find the amplification factor for EL11, EL12, EL12N and EL12 Spezial. Maybe we have to ask Oskari for the German word for amplification/gain factor on the spec sheets?

Edit: Here are a number of spec sheets but I don't know the name of what I am looking for:

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheetsE1.html

I posted these some time ago but it took me ages to find the answer and I've no idea where the post is now.
By memory the EL12/12N/spez was, I think about 16, and EL11 was 25, or thereabouts.

NB. I have a poor memory.
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #7,283 of 11,833

I have Siemens EL12 ST.which I usually use for power Someone said they are made by someone else, but don't remember who said it or who they are made by.

They are totally hum free in my system, and combined with EL11 drivers (round plate), are the best I have achieved with Elise. But no one ever listens to me, so probably you shouldn't either
jecklinsmile.gif

HAHA... 
bigsmile_face.gif
 ! Of course I listen to you, you´ve already helped me a lot! 

Siemens are definitely not inferior to any EL12 or EL12N I've heard, including Telefunken, Valvo, RFT and RWN.

I know it's tempting to try and define their differences but in all honesty I can't say they differ much, if at all.

At one time I thought Telefunken and Valvo were a bit warmer and RFT and RWM a bit clearer and dynamic, but the more I listen and move the tubes around the more they all sound similar.

All excellent sounding as UT has posted above. I just mix and match without looking any more at the manufacturer. I couldn't afford a full set of 4 or 6 of each anyway.
biggrin.gif

The only one which may be a bit different is the spez of any manufacturer which may be a little more neutral ie a little less bright at the top end-but it's all relative because all these EL11/12 tubes are only slightly bright of neutral anyway-nothing fatiguing, just enough to give vitality and energy to the music.

These feedbacks are exactly what I´ve been hoping for.
I´ve already decided not to buy "hastily" this time but to wait for the right opportunity on the EL12s, therefore it helps if I can spread the array more widely...especially since the Siemens EL12 are sold a little less expensive than the other ones.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #7,286 of 11,833
  Hi Oskari,

I am afraid that I do not understand what to look for in the charts - could you explain it clearer? Thanks

Just looked on Philips datasheets for the amplificaton, following Oskari's information about the units to look for.

EL11-  25

EL12-  18 ( ? I presume all iterations of EL12 are the same ?)

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #7,287 of 11,833
  Just the good old Psvane 6SN7s...so still plenty of room for further gains 
beerchug.gif

Hi HPL, I love the Mullard 6080, it's the power tube I've come back to more than any other so far. It has oodles of depth and while sounding warm at the same time. It also seems to get on really well with whatever driver tube you throw at it. Pleased that there's some love for it out there, because I think it's not been shown enough!

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #7,290 of 11,833
Slightly differing info there.
Looks like it.

Here's a photo of an interesting RFT box, within which was a tube dated 1955, with a stated current of 1.1A, instead of the expected 1.2A.

Even RFT's own data sheet states 1.2A, so maybe it's a misprint, and not a big deal unless it's critical for determining the maximum tube current for Elise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back