Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Mar 4, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #7,231 of 11,833
BTW: My father recently visited me and called the tubes "lamps"...he was like: "Oh, you are taking this hobby pretty serious, hm? You even bought this thing with lamps on it....what are these for? Do they actually produce sound....like bells???" 
deadhorse.gif
blink.gif
biggrin.gif
  He is a concertmaster in a major orchestra, I must add...I guess everyone has other priorities in life, right?! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #7,232 of 11,833

Hehe, thank you! Well... since I´ve been chasing the "white rabbit" my whole life, I guess I´m in the right place here! 
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

These beautiful....BEAUTIFUL grown man´s toys arrived over the last couple of days:

As I mentioned a few times before....I´ll probably face an acid test waiting on these darn adapters to arrive, let´s hope Mrs.Adapter lives up to the praise she receives here
wink_face.gif
 But I´m confident that I am going to be able to post my impressions on these "lamps" over the next few weeks...that is....if someone is interested in reading a newcomer´s opinion after all
redface.gif

Maybe I can manage to give the Valvo 6080s a listen this weekend at least...
popcorn.gif
o2smile.gif

NICE collection HPL...you have indeed fallen down this bottomless hole lol!!
wink_face.gif
. And be assured, there'll be many eager to hear what you have to say!...
tongue.gif
...(but be warned...you'll find there simply aren't enough hours in the day LOL!!...so, GOOD LUCK!
biggrin.gif
...).

BTW: My father recently visited me and called the tubes "lamps"...he was like: "Oh, you are taking this hobby pretty serious, hm? You even bought this thing with lamps on it....what are these for? Do they actually produce sound....like bells???" 
deadhorse.gif
blink.gif
biggrin.gif
  He is a concertmaster in a major orchestra, I must add...I guess everyone has other priorities in life, right?! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Concertmaster?...this could prove VERY interesting indeed when you slap those cans over his ears lol!!
darthsmile.gif
...but NOT until the amp and tubes have had good, long burn-in!
wink.gif
...(and he too will probably need "burning in" to get used to such a different sound from what he has lived with, of course!!).

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #7,233 of 11,833
Morning everyone. The secret to the British Throne is back again. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Guess what? My EL12N and EL12 is silence of the lamb again. Zip, no noise at all. After I threaten to smash it, it's silent now. Talking stern to your tubes helps sometimes. Oh boy, these tubes does sound good when you're not listening for hum.

@Frederick Rea ,  Tung Sol 6f8g black round plates and GEC 6as7g may sound good but mint condition pairs of those will set you back more than Elise. Besides much as I love 6sn7 and 6as7 tone, I much prefer EL tubes tone. It's the secret to the British Throne or Thrown however Pct puts it. Lawyers never get their words right. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #7,234 of 11,833
@hypnos1 ,  Feliks Audio Elise is being sold by this audio shop in Malaysia, Petaling Jaya, Selangor. 

https://shop.amplifiedhead.com/products/Feliks-Audio-Elise/1085

.... and your photo is featured there. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #7,235 of 11,833
It's being distributed in Bangkok, Thailand too. They are really going worldwide.

Euforia is available there too. B70,900 !!!

Wow 70,900 baht is US$2026. Guys you got your Euforia cheap. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Boy, Lukasz either have to expand or work 24/7 forever.

http://www.bkkaudio.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1430

What happened to the guy who wanted to be a distributor in the US?

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #7,236 of 11,833
  @hypnos1 ,  Feliks Audio Elise is being sold by this audio shop in Malaysia, Petaling Jaya, Selangor. 

https://shop.amplifiedhead.com/products/Feliks-Audio-Elise/1085

.... and your photo is featured there. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Well well, UT...fame at last lol!!...thanks for the nod
biggrin.gif
...WELL SPOTTED!..

But oh my...that photo of mine belongs in a museum now!!!
wink_face.gif
  Ah well, can't have it all!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Nice to see the Feliks-Audio name spreading further afield - they certainly deserve it...
darthsmile.gif

Better go keep my good lady company for a few minutes, I suppose!  BFN...

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #7,237 of 11,833

Concertmaster?...this could prove VERY interesting indeed when you slap those cans over his ears lol!!
darthsmile.gif
...but NOT until the amp and tubes have had good, long burn-in!
wink.gif
...(and he too will probably need "burning in" to get used to such a different sound from what he has lived with, of course!!).

Yes, he has been working as a concertmaster for over 25 years now...of course I couldn´t resist letting him listen to my setup....
rolleyes.gif
he certainly also did ask for it...

I don´t intent to go too much off-topic here, but I should mention that he takes the view that no sound and/or recording system in this world could possibly reproduce the truth of actual music being played...by far... At home he only listens to some ancient LPs on his Harman Kardon stereo that is probably 30 years old... and that´s it...

I let him listen to Bruckner´s Third Symphony with Celibidache and the Munich Philharmonics...not even a particularly special recording quality-wise...but a deeply moving one IMHO... he listened almost through the entire first movement before saying something...I was sitting there on a sofa two meters behind him, trying not to breathe too loudly...he showed absolutely no reaction other than listening very concentrated with his eyes closed the whole time....my heart was really pounding ..LOL
biggrin.gif

So he stopped, put the headphones down and at first actually just said these words: "Yes, I see now...!" He stated that he had never ever heard an orchestral recording that real before. That took a load of my mind actually
normal_smile .gif
 He was emphatic about the dynamics and the micro-details, conveying the atmosphere and ultimately the emotion...

He then asked for something with better quality and I played my DSD/MFSL - recording of Patricia Barber´s Cafe Blue and after a few minutes he was like..... yeah, I never heard something like this my whole life 
cool.gif

Before he left he implored me at least three times to ONLY feed the Mojo/Elise/HD800-combo with high quality recordings, everything else wouldn´t do it justice 
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif

Next time he visits, I´m going to be even better prepared ...
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #7,239 of 11,833
This is the claim of an 'audiophile' that his 1 inch wonder fuse has done to his system.

"Anyway the black fuse has put beautiful timbre in my tone, see through in my sound stage, vibrato in the voices, swinging pace with the bass, openness in the air, tension in the fret-tion of the viola, tam tam in the tom tom.  It has hidden my speakers and I can't find them."  

... I'm wondering what kind of fuse did he have before the wonder fuse? A plastic fuse?

hidden his speakers and can't find them... ho ho ho 
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #7,240 of 11,833

Next time he visit, you must have the Euforia ready. 
wink_face.gif
   ..... and give him your Elise. 
tongue_smile.gif

Good job Lobster in convincing the concertmaster. That's a great endorsement.

Hehe, upgraditis/tube-amp-frenzy or not, this exchange is not going to happen any time soon.... I´m going to enjoy my new delicious acquisition now for a while and successfully ignore the Euforia 
cool.gif

Remember that I was (officially confirmed) the last buyer of the Elise before the Euforia was announced, the same day @connieflyer and @pctazhp reached their HS-status btw 
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #7,242 of 11,833

Hehe, upgraditis/tube-amp-frenzy or not, this exchange is not going to happen any time soon.... I´m going to enjoy my new delicious acquisition now for a while and successfully ignore the Euforia 
cool.gif

Remember that I was (officially confirmed) the last buyer of the Elise before the Euforia was announced, the same day @connieflyer and @pctazhp reached their HS-status btw 
biggrin.gif

Last of the Mohicans. If you know the story, it's quite tragic and full of adventures. Well, being the last means that you bought Elise at $699 instead of $849 now but with better noise cancellation and extended warranty. Enjoy your Elise ! I did with mine for 1.5 years before I went for the Euforia and in that time, Elise has repaid me countless hours of musical bliss. It's still an absolute gem as far as I'm concern and I got it for $649.

The Valvo 6080s are gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. I´m speechless right now...

Ha... if they are Mullard 6080 equivalent, you have reasons to be very happy with them. 

For a long while, these were my go to power tubes:-

Tung Sol 5998
Tung Sol 7236
Chatham 6AS7G
Mullard 6080

I've said in the past that these are all you need as power tubes.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #7,244 of 11,833

Last of the Mohicans. If you know the story, it's quite tragic and full of adventures. Well, being the last means that you bought Elise at $699 instead of $849 now but with better noise cancellation and extended warranty. Enjoy your Elise ! I did with mine for 1.5 years before I went for the Euforia and in that time, Elise has repaid me countless hours of musical bliss. It's still an absolute gem as far as I'm concern and I got it for $649.

Ha... if they are Mullard 6080 equivalent, you have reasons to be very happy with them. 

For a long while, these were my go to power tubes:-

Tung Sol 5998
Tung Sol 7236
Chatham 6AS7G
Mullard 6080

I've said in the past that these are all you need as power tubes.

This guy lists the Mullard and Valvo 6080s as equivalents in his thread (see "tier IId)"), I based my ebay-venture on him in this case.

http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

The stock-Svetlanas are out the window forever.
Right now I´m throwing as much as I can at these tubes, because I still cannot believe what I´m hearing. In terms of clarity, wonderful timbre, dynamics, layering, separation, smoothness
gs1000.gif

I am overwhelmed. I am now a believer. I can only imagine what the other tubes you all cherish are going to accomplish.

This is what my expectations towards the Elise were at best....my HD 800 really sings now. I still almost find it hard to believe that just a "simple" pair of different power tubes could achieve that much in such a complex chain of technology, but what can I say, I´m listening to it right now 
bigsmile_face.gif

My wife and my daughter are asleep...it´s all calm and quiet...I´m pouring myself a glass of Lagavulin and enjoy life for now... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #7,245 of 11,833

I am overwhelmed. I am now a believer. I can only imagine what the other tubes you all cherish are going to accomplish.

...and what drivers were you using with the Valvo 6080 to experience epiphany? 
k701smile.gif

When you try the EL11, EL12 spez, you will witness the parting of the Red Sea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back