Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Feb 1, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #48 of 552
Oh, Beyerdynamic Amiron should make a sweet pairing with it as well then :)

You know, I kinda like how Audeze and Signature DXP sound with it, although now that you mention it, I was thinking what it pairs best with.

Do you think it would be worth to attach it to a speaker setup as a pre-amp to give them a little more tube in their sound? :)
Really interested to hear your thoughts, with a high impedance can. I am interested in this amp, for my ZMF Aeolus, and DT1770.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #49 of 552
Really interested to hear your thoughts, with a high impedance can. I am interested in this amp, for my ZMF Aeolus, and DT1770.

Feliks Echo should sound sublime with those two :)

This is what it was made for, high-impedance cans that do not require a lot of power, but which require good voltage :)

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #52 of 552
IMG_20190311_175342.jpg
New toy in house, its very clean sounding. Only listened to some hybrid tube amps before, and to a darkvoice with stock tubes. This is clearly a higher level from memory.
When swapping back and forth from a Questyle CMA400i I notice that the music is smoother sounding while not loosing details. The instruction says it should need 30-50 hours of burn in for the tubes to be optimal, not sure what can change as it sounds really good after 5 hours now.

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #53 of 552

New toy in house, its very clean sounding. Only listened to some hybrid tube amps before, and to a darkvoice with stock tubes. This is clearly a higher level from memory.
When swapping back and forth from a Questyle CMA400i I notice that the music is smoother sounding while not loosing details. The instruction says it should need 30-50 hours of burn in for the tubes to be optimal, not sure what can change as it sounds really good after 5 hours now.

Really happy you're having so much fun!

I had a Darkvoice Tube AMP in my hands, and I agree, Echo is better on an overall level, although, from memory, Darkvoice is also quite a bit les expensive, half the price or so, so Feliks Echo being much better was expected :)

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #54 of 552
Really happy you're having so much fun!

I had a Darkvoice Tube AMP in my hands, and I agree, Echo is better on an overall level, although, from memory, Darkvoice is also quite a bit les expensive, half the price or so, so Feliks Echo being much better was expected :)
I got mine without having to pay customs, so I cant complain. Ended with the same price as an imported darkvoice since I bought the Echo before xmas.
Had some more days with it now, had a problem with ground loop in my system so I had some noise. Specially while doing GPU heavy work on the PC, solved it with iFi Audio iDefender 3.0. Now its completely silent under 12 on the knob, and I already have to turn down my audio playes on the PC to 50%. Cant get above 10 on the dial, even with classical music

Cant recommend this amp enough, its bloody brilliant. Makes the biggest difference for me with my DT880 600ohm and DT1990, while also my LCD2 gets more smooth sounding.

One dangerous thing is that since the sound gets more smooth sounding, I have a tendency to turn up the volume :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #55 of 552
I got mine without having to pay customs, so I cant complain. Ended with the same price as an imported darkvoice since I bought the Echo before xmas.
Had some more days with it now, had a problem with ground loop in my system so I had some noise. Specially while doing GPU heavy work on the PC, solved it with iFi Audio iDefender 3.0. Now its completely silent under 12 on the knob, and I already have to turn down my audio playes on the PC to 50%. Cant get above 10 on the dial, even with classical music

Cant recommend this amp enough, its bloody brilliant. Makes the biggest difference for me with my DT880 600ohm and DT1990, while also my LCD2 gets more smooth sounding.

One dangerous thing is that since the sound gets more smooth sounding, I have a tendency to turn up the volume :L3000:

Bring that volume up then!!

I had this happening to me, it isn't the smoothness, it is the clarity and detail, the lower the distortions, the louder you tend to go, I had this tendency as well when I first heard it, as well as some other products that are very clear and detailed.

Feliks Echo surely is suuuper awesome! :)

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #56 of 552
Bring that volume up then!!

I had this happening to me, it isn't the smoothness, it is the clarity and detail, the lower the distortions, the louder you tend to go, I had this tendency as well when I first heard it, as well as some other products that are very clear and detailed.

Feliks Echo surely is suuuper awesome! :)
Hi since it has the same tubes I guess it is interesting to compare it to the Schiit Valhall 2 which is less expensive. People like the Valhalla 2 as an inexpensive way to enjoy the T1s. Is there a benefit of the Echo extra money?

Mar 16, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #57 of 552
Hi since it has the same tubes I guess it is interesting to compare it to the Schiit Valhall 2 which is less expensive. People like the Valhalla 2 as an inexpensive way to enjoy the T1s. Is there a benefit of the Echo extra money?

Echo has much better power delivery, much better control, and lower noise, at least checking other reviews, and checking the design.

It is inherent to Feliks Echo's design for it to be cleaner and have less noise, since it has a much larger and stronger power delivery, just look at the design, Valhalla 2 has the power stage very undersized. I'm always happy to see people making affordable devices, but with Feliks, they really design things to last and make it well, and still very affordable for what you're getting. Echo is a heavy device, just the build costs a LOT, where Valhalla is a micro-sized thingy that just happens to use the same tubes, pretty much almost like two AMP designs that use the same OP-AMPs. The capacitor quality is very important, and Feliks doesn't screw around when it comes to their caps

On a not so related note, everyone I know has been quite disappointed with Schiit items, at least in Romania, and in my own tests, all of them performed sub-par. I heard both their really entry-level stuff, and some high-end and not I'd go with Mytek, Feliks and other companies any day of the week.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #59 of 552
How about comparing the feliks va some of the woo audio offerings ( wa7, wa6 , wa6 Se , or wa2) ?

Woo Audio , for some reason, has a really dark and lush sound that lacks treble sparkle. Which seems to be their house signature, because now I have a few Tube devices, and that kind of sound is only characteristic to Woo Audio, not to all Tube AMPs (?)

I don't have the entry-level Woo stuff to compare, only some of the more expensive ones, and even there, if driving HD800 or HD600, Feliks Echo tends to be cleaner and more dynamic overall, Woo Audio high-end AMPs are the choice if you really want a dark and lush experience that is smooth in the treble.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #60 of 552
Thanks for the quick response. Is there a section on your web page comparing your own amps side by side? I couldn’t find it

Also, for USA customers is upscale our only option ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back