Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Nov 27, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #406 of 547
Just to double check: people talk about bad "input tubes". Are input tubes == driver tubes? Also what would be the best currently produced option for a replace? I generally tend to prefer current production over NOS (firstly I don't want to fall in love with something that may be hard to get in future and secondly I want to support tube producers).

EDIT: Confident enough to proceed, will try these as my first tube roll ever :)

https://www.jjtubes.eu/e88cc-6922-gold

It got quite good reviews here: https://www.thetubestore.com/jj-e88cc-6922-gold
That is correct. Driver tubes is what I was referring to. I was tube rolling nos so I don't have much advice to provide regarding current production tubes. All I can say is the difference from 6N1P tubes was very significant when it came to clarity (resolution?).

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #407 of 547
Just to double check: people talk about bad "input tubes". Are input tubes == driver tubes? Also what would be the best currently produced option for a replace? I generally tend to prefer current production over NOS (firstly I don't want to fall in love with something that may be hard to get in future and secondly I want to support tube producers).

EDIT: Confident enough to proceed, will try these as my first tube roll ever :)

https://www.jjtubes.eu/e88cc-6922-gold

It got quite good reviews here: https://www.thetubestore.com/jj-e88cc-6922-gold
Did you get the JJ's? I need to upgrade the stock tubes, and these are an attractive option.

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #408 of 547
Did you get the JJ's? I need to upgrade the stock tubes, and these are an attractive option.
They are on the way. Will get those probably next week.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #410 of 547
I had a dilemma the last year I've had the Beyerdynamic A 20. High output impedance and sounding in the middle of a tube amp like Echo and a typical solid state amp. Due to this I haven't bothered with using the Echo as much as I want.

Sold it off now, and flipped it selling it for the doable.

What's people's favorite or recommended Tubes for Echo? Under 200-300$ a pair.

Prefer smooth sound that is not thin sounding.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #411 of 547
What's people's favorite or recommended Tubes for Echo? Under 200-300$ a pair.
Just as a side comment: for me at least one of the reasons behind my purchase decision on Echo was that tubes are not super expensive. 200-300$ sounds like a lot for Echo's tubes. I'd understand if we were talking about 300B amp :)

I just bought pair of brand new gold pinned JJ E88CCs for 60€ a pair and based on what I've read, those should already be quite good. Personally my intuition says that I would spend my money better on more expensive amp vs. unicorn tubes for Echo. Some well seasoned Echo owners feel free to correct me if I'm underestimating the capabilities of Echo.

Dec 4, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #412 of 547
Tried two different pairs under 100, both were worse than the stock tubes. One had imbalance, the other was thin sounding.

Reason I bought the Echo was due to some inside info that it was going to be a big hit. Entry price were 340euro with shipping, except for having tried the Crack, WA2 and a littledot this is my first real tube amp. Loving it to bits, still now and then thinking about upgrading. The wood on the side is classy, but don't really fit the esthetics of my listening station.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #413 of 547
I just bought pair of brand new gold pinned JJ E88CCs for 60€ a pair and based on what I've read, those should already be quite good.
I might give them a shot, don't need it to be expensive 200-300 is max limit of what I want to pay.

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #414 of 547
Just received them, they are heating up for the first time right now :)

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #416 of 547
Did hold of buying JJ E88CC until your impression appeared 👍 Waiting in anticipation

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #417 of 547
Amazing sound confirmed. I wish it was easier to A/B, but initial impressions based on my latest memory trace to days ago: clearly better soundstage and more... magical or maybe musical? Also this "hardness" that I experienced and very much disliked with Utopia seems to be gone. I almost sold this amp because of that and I'm very pleased to see that the problem could be solved with these tubes. To me this is definitely an upgrade over the stock.

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #418 of 547
Did hold of buying JJ E88CC until your impression appeared 👍 Waiting in anticipation
Oh, and remember, these are the gold pins! These sould be "better" :)

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #419 of 547
Seems like many has used this in single tube amps like LYR, seems from reviews that its a gem. Specially for the money.

I have the original Echo and tubes, only headphones I have not liked has been Planars. Actually had quite fun with some dynamic driver IEMs, while BA IEMs is horrible.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #420 of 547
Yes, value is definitely there. And to me it's a bonus to support tube producers that produce high quality stuff at decent prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back