Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Feb 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #182 of 552
I have both the VC and the Echo on the way. How are you liking the pairing?

I loved this pairing. It was very punchy and fun sounding. I listen to a lot of rock, and the echo complimented that genre very well.

Also, for any Echo owners, I have a pair of NOS Russian power tubes that I used in my echo. I don’t have the echo anymore and don’t have a need for the tubes. I had them listed FS on here but it’s such an obscure tube size that I didn’t get any bites. The first person in the US that wants them can have them. Maybe just PayPal methe shipping costs?

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #183 of 552
I've been anxious to settle the tone of the stock tubes hooked to 650's, and before diving into the tube rolling void, I wanted to give a hardware EQ a try. The Behringer FBQ800 might not be the most elegant solution but it does the job. A touch of extra sub bass and just a slight 2-4khz attenuation really put the Echo & HD650's response where I like it to be for mix decisions. Being able to rely on defined bass and not needing to compensate for the treble spike is a huge relief. It's very easy to overdo, I went for a pretty wild curve at first and had to gradually reduce the changes day by day. The tubes tend to relax in the treble further when on for long periods so it can be a bit finicky...

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #184 of 552
Any of you who have tried the Schiit Valhalla 2 compared to the echo?

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #185 of 552
Any of you who have tried the Schiit Valhalla 2 compared to the echo?
Actually .. i made some comparison between the two . i was hesitant to leave some impressions here since i was so unsure of what to say and there is probably some people waiting for it and expecting some good things .

First of all , i gotta say ... there was a difference but it was smaller than i expected it to be .

First thing i did : took the stock output and input tubes of my valhalla 2 and i used them for a bit in the feliks echo . It was really similar and im not sure if the difference i heard was a placebo or not , i felt it had a bigger presentation , sounds further away left and right , more depth and sounds were fuller . but i was questioning myself everytime i was thinking those .. it was the most difficult comparison i did ever to be honest .

Now .. comparing valhalla 2 stock tubes vs feliks echo stock tubes . clear difference between the two ! feliks echo being clearly fuller , especially in the mids and low end . bigger stage , sweeter tone overall , more weight in the sounds . high are a bit recessed compared to valhalla , valhalla having more air on top and clearer . sounded different but i cant say it was better ?... feliks echo stock tubes are more * tubey and romantic * sounding for sure .

I value a lot of the small things in the audio chain even when its a small small improvement in sound ( cables and others ... ) but that was not the move for me . could be worth it for some people . that was my perception of the comparison , other people could have a totally different view of those 2 amps if they tried but that was mine .

apart from that , really beautiful amp , i still love it . I probably just expected to much from the upgrade .

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #186 of 552
I am (or was) interested in an echo MK2, but I found it impossible to get an answer from Feliks on some pretty basic questions. I emailed them about one week ago, and I recently tried Facebook. This is not the kind of customer support that I want in that price range. Now, to be honest, Schiit is not much better, but at least they answer your emails.

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #187 of 552
Thanks Minkypou. Was about to buy a used one for another room, had the Echo since the launch of the unit. Still on stock tubes, have not bothered with tube rolling.

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #188 of 552
Thanks Minkypou. Was about to buy a used one for another room, had the Echo since the launch of the unit. Still on stock tubes, have not bothered with tube rolling.
i received some NOS sylvania 6922 gold pins around 2 weeks ago and i only use them since , i swapped to the stock tubes from time to time but i always end up on the sylvanias , there is a nice improvement across the board , cleaner sounding :) good improvement for my atticus . stock tubes are welcomed when i want to relax late at night . a bit dark for my atticus but i still like them :)

( note that im using the holoaudio cyan r2r dac ) so i guess i need clear sounding tubes to balance my chain . i can see the stock tubes really do well with brighter setup than mine .

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #189 of 552
Is there a Feliks balanced amp in the works?

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #190 of 552
Is there a Feliks balanced amp in the works?
I keep hearing rumours about it, and I think I read an interview a while ago where they said they had plans for a balanced amp.

But I've seen nothing concrete yet. It wouldn't even have to be a true balanced amp for me, I just want the 4-pin XLR connector to plug my headphones into.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #191 of 552
Yeah agree, I also see an Echo MKII has been released.
1613935284130.png

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #192 of 552
Yeah agree, I also see an Echo MKII has been released.
According to Feliks, the first batch should arrive in March to Upscale Audio (their exclusive distributor in the US)

Feb 21, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #193 of 552
gotta mention ... my impressions of valhalla 2 vs feliks echo was ...Hmmm.. altered ? i have a humming problem in my chain that ive been trying to fix for months .. valhalla was actually filtering that humming and was dead silent but the echo was not and i can hear a hum at moderate to high listening volumes and is more or less present depending on how much the stage is filled with sounds , more noticable on relaxed songs or things like videos with talking .

that hum is probably bloating up that beautiful low end the feliks is trying to give me and and it lead me to believe that the upgrade was not so big? i still kept the echo with that in mind and one day ill get rid of the humming but for now its there ..

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #195 of 552
WiFi router near your echo?
if i disconnected the rcas from the amp the humming is gone , its coming from my dac or my pc , i would say my dac since when i disconnected the usb cable from the dac ( rcas still connected to the echo ) i still hear humming . but also... if i connect directly into the headphone jack of my pc , i can hear humming , looks like both my pc and my dac are producing humming.... directly in the pc being the worst with humming + weird noise on top of it .

you can call me : NOISEMAN * intro music start (((((big super villain music)))))) ................. *

my savior jotunheim 2 is coming home right now .. surely ill buy some xlr for it so i can at least have a small noise break . will be a nice addition to had some authority in my atticus :) have a good taste of both tube and SS sound .

ill dive into the humming problem slowly but surely , i will succeed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back