[Feedback] Regarding the new changes made to Head-fi (Dec 2015)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #31 of 47
An overdue update: I have pointed Wikia staff towards this thread and the posts suggesting modifications to the navbar, so they are aware of this.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #32 of 47
  An overdue update: I have pointed Wikia staff towards this thread and the posts suggesting modifications to the navbar, so they are aware of this.

Thank you Currawong. I hope they will consider the changes.

In the meanwhile, I've posted a thread in the lounge with "easy as pie" instructions (including feature list)
[

To everyone in this thread: Try the theme. If you do not like the changes and have any suggestions, let me know 
smile.gif

Edit: Link correction

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #33 of 47
getclikinagas suggested I post some of the things I mentioned previously in the [Unofficial Theme] thread, for the staff at Wikia monitoring. I'll reframe some of it to the context of issues having to do with the new default theme.

- With the default nav bar, sans the user style, my avatar and notification counters disappear completely. I haven't noticed anyone else mention this issue, so it might just be me, but it seems to happen even when using a fresh new guest browser profile (Firefox 44, Linux). I can find the elements with Firefox's Page Inspector, but they just aren't visible. The new user style fixes this.

- The default nav bar also does not stretch to fill the width of the screen. The empty space to the left and right look out of place. As well, since the nav bar was replaced anyways, it would have been nice to make the contents disappear into a toggle menu below a certain width, either altogether, or element by element. See this.

- The default drop-down search does not look good. Even the current solution used by the user style is not perfect; it puts the search bar on the nav bar by default, which leads to a lot of ugly overlap when resizing. Even if some people prefer the nav bar following them at the top, I doubt they would be in constant need of a site-wide search (perhaps a thread search). I would leave the search at the top of the page, off the nav bar.

- I have to second all of what @getclikinagas said about the new login process. No autofill, the speed (I could go directly to www.head-fi.org/login, and have the login autofill with a password manager, faster than the current lightbox could load).

I would suggest that the Wikia team take a look at this user style as well as the original OCN Classic theme on Overclock, to get an idea of the little inconsistencies that people are bothered by, if they haven't already. Moreover, the OCN Classic has a lot of optional enhancements ready for installation, that could work well as default options for users to toggle (color of notification bubbles, alignment, etc). For current users, it should be a trivial matter of editing the user style in order to add these things. I've currently edited my own to remove the search bar, as well as some of the buttons on the nav bar (Head Gear, Wiki, Galleries) in order to save space and prevent overlap. I've also hidden the sidebar, and the containers for posts made by blocked users (those are just personal tweaks).

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #34 of 47
Thanks Guys. I was about to blow a gaset with the damn search bar disappearing everytime I tried to mouse down to "paste".

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #35 of 47
Has anyone noticed how the avatar picture on the nav bar seems to "twitch" up and down when scrolling? I think I've seen it flicker sometimes even without scrolling.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #36 of 47
  Has anyone noticed how the avatar picture on the nav bar seems to "twitch" up and down when scrolling? I think I've seen it flicker sometimes even without scrolling.

I dont get the twitch but I do get a phantom of it right next to it on the left.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #38 of 47
  I was able to catch the movement in this gfy (although it took forever to upload). It must be some sort of repositioning.

Yup I actually saw it today. If you mouse over the avatar so you get the drop down you will see a shadow around the entire avatar a few pixels wide. I suspect it is this allocated space that has it moving for reasons and in circumstances as yet unknown.

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #39 of 47

Funny, I don't see this with my own avatar picture. Maybe it's because yours isn't a perfect square? Try this resized 100x100px version and see if the efffect persists:

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #40 of 47
I had just noticed that my original avatar was 8px less in width than in height . However, I don't think that's what has it behaving this way. Having just tried the 100x100 resized version you posted, the "twitch" is still there. Specifically, on the profile page, the area occupying the drop shadow Hutnicks had mentioned is now darker as if it were constantly in focus, and I've noticed that it resizes along with the movement.

I wish I had more time to look into the actual behaviour behind this (maybe after the holidays). I don't have any CSS-breaking plugins enabled. Actually, it persists even when I disable most of my plugins. It could also be a Firefox thing.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #41 of 47
  I had just noticed that my original avatar was 8px less in width than in height . However, I don't think that's what has it behaving this way. Having just tried the 100x100 resized version you posted, the "twitch" is still there. Specifically, on the profile page, the area occupying the drop shadow Hutnicks had mentioned is now darker as if it were constantly in focus, and I've noticed that it resizes along with the movement.

I wish I had more time to look into the actual behaviour behind this (maybe after the holidays). I don't have any CSS-breaking plugins enabled. Actually, it persists even when I disable most of my plugins. It could also be a Firefox thing.

Code:
 .fixed-scroll-breakpoint .ui-header-fixed ul#main-nav li.profile .user-avatar { margin-top: 2px !important;

Try changing the above value to -2px or 0px(or a value around this range that works for you).

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #42 of 47
Unfortunately nothing there. I also played around with removing the 1px border around .user-avatar, as well as other margins relating to the avatar image. At first I thought it made it less prone to trigger, until it occurred again. This is now on a fresh profile in Firefox, nothing adjusted apart from the user style. I will continue to play around to see if anything can be done.

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #43 of 47
Ha, I just saw the repositioning with my own avatar!
eek.gif

@getclikinagas: maybe these hints can help you find the cause:
  1. Using the Modern Classic Theme, the effect only occurs on top of the page, right after switching between the wide and narrow bar. I never see it while scrolling further down the page.
  2. Using your HF-Beta Theme, I don't see it at all.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #44 of 47
Actually, the Beta version has the nav bar transparent after scrolling, which renders the issue moot! I would consider this to be fixed since the nav bar is no longer visible when the movement occurs. When I last checked, the Beta version had been identical to the main release, so I didn't think to check the changes getclikinagas had been making.

I've also just noticed that this issue had been previously documented in the stylesheet.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #45 of 47
  Ha, I just saw the repositioning with my own avatar!
eek.gif

@getclikinagas: maybe these hints can help you find the cause:
  1. Using the Modern Classic Theme, the effect only occurs on top of the page, right after switching between the wide and narrow bar. I never see it while scrolling further down the page.
  2. Using your HF-Beta Theme, I don't see it at all.

There seems to be a avatar repositioning sequence built into the website when the nav bar becomes the floating/sticky nav bar. But the transition times on this sequence is zero, and therefore, not seen.
One feature of the theme is preventing the profile menu from collapsing immediately (similar to the way the forum menu behaves). This requires a transition. For consistency sake, I applied the same effect to the profile menu button. Thus the transition time also applies to the built in repositioning sequence which is why one sees the twitch. Since the twitch happens at
Using the short code I pasted above fixes it for me. But, different avatars seem to behave differently. I will try to come up with a workaround that applies universally. (Or disable the profile button behavior)
If possible, could you show me what the twitch looks like in your case?  I only have my avatar behavior as reference.
Note: Could you check if you see this behavior with the theme disabled? If this is theme specific, let us port the discussion to the theme thread. That way, this will not be confused as a native Head-fi issue (although it's a side-effect of the changes)

Quote:
  Actually, the Beta version has the nav bar transparent after scrolling

The Beta theme has an "Auto-hide nav bar" that will reappear when the cursor is in the area.
Also, there is a translucent nav bar(upon scroll down) effect. It's greyed out atm in the beta code, but you can enable it if you'd like to try that.

Unfortunately nothing there. I also played around with removing the 1px border around .user-avatar, as well as other margins relating to the avatar image. At first I thought it made it less prone to trigger, until it occurred again. This is now on a fresh profile in Firefox, nothing adjusted apart from the user style. I will continue to play around to see if anything can be done.

I do not have the constant repositioning problem upon every scroll action like you do. Could you check if this happens with the theme disabled? I'd like to rule that out first.
Also, could you let me know what you've used to screencorder you've used to generate the gfy. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back