Feedback on Questile CMA600i vs Audio-GD 28 [HELP]
Sep 1, 2017 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Rex Aevum

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I have just joined the community and I am new to the high-end audio scene, I only started getting into it about 2 years ago, in this time span I have acquired some gear, while not high-end way better than the gaming headsets and regular speakers I had.
I currently have:
  • Schiit Modi 2 Uber & Magni 2 Uber
  • Philips Fidelio X2 & SHP9500 & Audeze iSine 20 & Audio Technica AD1000x
  • Vanatoo T1 powered monitors
  • A pair of B&W 863 (i think that was the model) for my tv
  • SVS SB-2000 sub
To get started, I was looking into upgrading my DAC/AMP, so that I can get more connections, power and maybe a cleaner sound. I started considering upgrade because currently, I have an opportunity to get Audeze LCD-3 for $700 or LCD-x for $500 and I want a better AMP and DAC. The ones I have considered:
  • Questyle CMA600i
  • Oppo HA-1
  • Audio-GD NFB-28.38
Could I ask you guys for some inputs on how the given devices are, which one do you think would be the better buy? If there are better units in that price range I would welcome suggestions (even if a little more expensive).

And the last question - is there a noticeable sound difference and, in your opinion, is it a worth while upgrade or should I save up more and get something even more high-end?

I welcome any and all feedback you can provide and thank you!

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 22
I really like the idea of the HA-1, after that price I'd imagine diminishing returns kicks in hard

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 22
Every demoed the Multibit DACs from Schiit?
I have not, but I have read up on them a bit and from what I understand they do something with the sound, like make it warmer or more musical but I personally have never listened to them.
I was considering Mjolir 2 and Gungnir/multibit, but that would be too expensive so I gave up on that.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 22
I have an opportunity to get Audeze LCD-3 for $700 or LCD-x for $500 and I want a better AMP and DAC. T

Helluva deal on those Audeze HPs....Grab those ASAP,worry about the DAC/amp afterwards.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 22
Does have a nice interface and remote.
Yes! And the volume knob is on a servo and physically spins when you adjust it using the remote. Just a cool feature!

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 22
Hello everyone,
I have just joined the community and I am new to the high-end audio scene, I only started getting into it about 2 years ago, in this time span I have acquired some gear, while not high-end way better than the gaming headsets and regular speakers I had.
I currently have:
  • Schiit Modi 2 Uber & Magni 2 Uber
  • Philips Fidelio X2 & SHP9500 & Audeze iSine 20 & Audio Technica AD1000x
  • Vanatoo T1 powered monitors
  • A pair of B&W 863 (i think that was the model) for my tv
  • SVS SB-2000 sub
To get started, I was looking into upgrading my DAC/AMP, so that I can get more connections, power and maybe a cleaner sound. I started considering upgrade because currently, I have an opportunity to get Audeze LCD-3 for $700 or LCD-x for $500 and I want a better AMP and DAC. The ones I have considered:
  • Questyle CMA600i
  • Oppo HA-1
  • Audio-GD NFB-28.38
Could I ask you guys for some inputs on how the given devices are, which one do you think would be the better buy? If there are better units in that price range I would welcome suggestions (even if a little more expensive).

And the last question - is there a noticeable sound difference and, in your opinion, is it a worth while upgrade or should I save up more and get something even more high-end?

I welcome any and all feedback you can provide and thank you!
Honestly, buy both and sell me the LCDX haha

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 22
I have not, but I have read up on them a bit and from what I understand they do something with the sound, like make it warmer or more musical but I personally have never listened to them.
I was considering Mjolir 2 and Gungnir/multibit, but that would be too expensive so I gave up on that.

I see. Then again, you can't go wrong with all three DACs you mentioned. However, if you want more flexibility in the future, you can get a separate DAC, preamp and headphone amp instead of a DAC/preamp combo.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 22
I see. Then again, you can't go wrong with all three DACs you mentioned. However, if you want more flexibility in the future, you can get a separate DAC, preamp and headphone amp instead of a DAC/preamp combo.
I have considered that, but whenever i decided to go that route I would always end up with a total of about $2000, like the aforementioned combo from Schiit. And I was considering using the pre out if i wanted to get a separate amp, maybe some tubes later on.

Anything you could recommend?

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 22
I haven't ventured to balanced systems yet so mine is limited to single ended unfortunately. IMO, I'd get the DAC first then if you feel you want tubes, you can add the Freya as your preamp later on

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 22
I haven't ventured to balanced systems yet so mine is limited to single ended unfortunately. IMO, I'd get the DAC first then if you feel you want tubes, you can add the Freya as your preamp later on
With my Jotunheim, going balanced was noticeable but not breathtaking. I definitely appreciate the extra power and channel separation, but it's definitely not one of those things that is "better" than SE to everybody. Just because it's noticeable to some doesn't mean it's noticeable to all, and it's really just a 5-7% difference. That being said, I'm still glad I tried it and I know I made the right choice with the Jot

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 22
With my Jotunheim, going balanced was noticeable but not breathtaking. I definitely appreciate the extra power and channel separation, but it's definitely not one of those things that is "better" than SE to everybody. Just because it's noticeable to some doesn't mean it's noticeable to all, and it's really just a 5-7% difference. That being said, I'm still glad I tried it and I know I made the right choice with the Jot
Yeah, I do want to have balanced and also one of the reasons i wanna upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back