Fed up with AT&T and the iPhone..need info please
Mar 23, 2009 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sachu

Headphoneus Supremus
okay,

I have just about had it with AT&T and their stupid Iphone contract.

Their billing practices, the customer service , the iphone experiecnce has all been a huge let down.

A simple question,

Say I call and cancel my AT&T account tomorrow, also pay the Early Termination fee. Can I then sell the Iphone ? If so..what might I expect for it on say ebay? enough atleast to recoup my ETF fees? It is not unlocked or jail broken. 2 month old and in mint condition.

I am not any mac forum so posting it here..

Look forward to your inputs..

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 15
well, given that everyone will be selling the iphone, you probably won't get much, especially since its not unlocked, and you don't have a big red banner to put in the picture with it, and engrish grammar

iphone, Cell Phones PDAs, Electronics items on eBay.com

compete with 80,000 people

oh, and this assumes AT&T doesn't take the phone back, its been my experience, that they will (as you don't own the phone, you're renting/leasing it as part of your ~2 year service agreement)

basically they screw you with the ETF fees (love how they can treat you however they like, and charge you for it, don't ya?), and you're left with nothing

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 15
meh..I'll call them tomorrow, go through the whole process and see if they ask me to return the phone or not. If they say I pay the ETF and keep the phone...I think I will be out of about 100$ at most (depending on how much the iphone would sell for)..I don't think I can take it anymore. The experience has left me feeling like I don't need a cell phone now.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meh..I'll call them tomorrow, go through the whole process and see if they ask me to return the phone or not. If they say I pay the ETF and keep the phone...I think I will be out of about 100$ at most (depending on how much the iphone would sell for)..I don't think I can take it anymore. The experience has left me feeling like I don't need a cell phone now.

oh I'm not saying keep it, I'm just telling you that they're gonna "get theirs" financially, and could care less about your user experience
frown.gif

sorry to hear honestly, because I realize you're probably at the end of a nightmare, and theres no light to wake up to...
redface.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 15
I did sell my first generation not-jailbroken iPhone for more than the cost of the new 3G phone. You probably won't get enough to cover that early termination fee, but you should get enough to take some of the sting out of your little adventure. Also, you own the phone. They will try their best to get you to not cancel but if they tell you they want the phone back, tell them no.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 15
ok..I called just now...I got the data plan off the iphone..got my account switched over to a new phone without any data plan.

I was told I don't need to return the iphone and the iphone is not tethered to any contract but still is with AT & T of course.

I am still on a 2 year contract but no ETF.

I jumped on the chance and got things done..Now to head over to the AT&T store to switch SIMs...and hawk the Iphone 3G on ebay and recover my investment in the iphone.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 15
You don't have to go to the store to switch the sims, just stick a paper clip in the hole at the top of the phone and pull it out.

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 15
I went around and around for 6 months with AT&T years ago.
Ill NEVER have a phone through them again.

I had an AT&T cellphone, and so did my mom and sister, plus my dad has home long distance service through them.
AT&T decided to "bundle" all our "separate" bills together, being we all have the same last name and address.
OMG what a PITA every month separating whos bill was whos!!!!!
So, i called and told them they didnt have a right to bundle our bills and to separate it.
I called every month to have this done, and every month they said it was done.....AND IT WASNT!!!

So i told them where to stick their cellphone service and went with T-Mobile. Im still with T-Mobile and im happy.

And they ruined my credit. Whatever, i dont care. I wont give them one cent of my money.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 15
Just to clarify, you own your phone once you enter into the contract.
All you have to pay is the early termination fee, not return the phone or continue in the contract. It is also your right to have the iPhone unlocked from the At&t network at will (after a Google, it seems At&t is getting around this, but there are programs available).

If you want to leave, have the phone unlocked, cancel your contract (pay the fees), and move to another gsm service.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 15
meh...I didn't cancel my account..only got the data plan removed..couldn't justify having it..The browsing speed was slow, 3G dropped calls, short battery life..still am on a 2 year contract..already put the iphone up for sale on ebay.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meh...I didn't cancel my account..only got the data plan removed..couldn't justify having it..The browsing speed was slow, 3G dropped calls, short battery life..still am on a 2 year contract..already put the iphone up for sale on ebay.

Heh, my roommate has suffered the battery and dropped calls issues so many times. He needed to borrow my Verizon BlackBerry a few times (which can last around two days without a charge
cool.gif
).

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 15
yeah 3g on atnt seems to be notorious for dropping calls if you are on the move. If you sit in one place it seems the manage, but man, the call quality just keeps going from really good, to noisy static if you are on the move. To add to that is how weak and location specific 3g is in the bay area. You would think otherwise since the population is high, the signal strength would be better, but no, I usually never get 3g inside most of the stores in the bay area, and if I do, I have to stand in one particular location in the store to get it.

The only reason I stick to ATnT is cos a lot of ppl I know are on ATnT and it helps that those calls don't count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back