Features we would love to see in portable amps
Nov 26, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #16 of 56
Small, inexpensive, great sounding amp with good battery life is all I'm looking for
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by markh78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Small, inexpensive, great sounding amp with good battery life is all I'm looking for
biggrin.gif

mark, there are loads of these. McCoy is a great place to start, or you can purchase Fiio, Nuforce or many others.

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mark, there are loads of these. McCoy is a great place to start, or you can purchase Fiio, Nuforce or many others.

Yeah, I understand there's quite decent amps available cheaply, but I'm talking about SR71/Pico/iQube quality in smaller than T4-size package with 60 hours battery life at around 100 bucks.
Now I'm not asking much, am I?
icon10.gif

(although, iBasso got it pretty close with their new T3, so maybe one day...)

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never really cared for Pez, even as a kid. I would like a cigar dispenser.

Xin had an amp that had both 1/4 and 1/8 but sadly he isn't making amps now. It worked fine and the amp was small and sounded great.

I never really liked Pez either, but some of those dispensers go for big money as collectibles. Think how collectible a Pez amp would be!

I never knew that a 1/4" & 1/8" beast existed. Shame Xin isn't making more then. Just seems like such an obvious thing to do given the the availibiltiy of either size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckWang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vibrates?

I don't even want to know why you want this!
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't even want to know why you want this!
wink.gif

Pfft, says you. Pics or it didn't happen!

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #21 of 56
Some suggestions:

1. Multi-gain switch (low, medium, high)
2. Digital volume and battery indicator (simple LCD display is enough)
3. Impedance compatibility switches (32 ohm, 70 ohm, etc.)
4. Gradual mute button (where silence is needed at a moment)
5. Replaceable batteries (3rd party support is cool too)
6. Bass and treble setting (multiple stages)
7. Changeable faceplates (for both longevity and style)

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesterqw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
titanium casing.
about time :/
why aluminium and plastic!!
titanium ftw.

Meh, titanium is overrated. Aluminum has a good strength to weight ratio and is significantly cheaper than titanium and easier to machine. Plastic likewise has a good strength/weight ratio, good formability, is non-conductive, and can be more scratch and dent resistant than metal.

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 56
I want the form factor to exactly match the PMP. The iQube is an exact match to the classic iPod, and that makes it a joy to use.

No one makes a match to the Nano, either current or 3G. One that matched the Nano 3G squat FF would be superb, or one that matched the Fuse.

Plus, align the inputs and outputs so that the LOD and HP cabling makes sense ... the current crop always makes you compromise, twisting the interconnect one way or the other. While we're on it, think thru a soft case to go with it ... access to the volume controls on the amp plus the forward/back controls on the PMP.

Yea, it means picking particular iPod or Sansa or Cowon models, maybe even supplying the cable, or the perfect rubber band (iQube does that) or velcro ... but now you have a premo product:

amp, cable, case, band/velcro

that really work together!

While were at it, make the charging connector match the PMP it's mated with.

Now we have something that makes sense.

Nov 27, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh, titanium is overrated. Aluminum has a good strength to weight ratio and is significantly cheaper than titanium and easier to machine. Plastic likewise has a good strength/weight ratio, good formability, is non-conductive, and can be more scratch and dent resistant than metal.

Maybe he wants something that could withstand a nuclear holocaust lol.
darthsmile.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe he wants something that could withstand a nuclear holocaust lol.
darthsmile.gif

Naw, you need to keep your amp in an old fridge for that
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #28 of 56
Something like this:
* Form factor to match the current iPod nano.
* Built in dock for the said iPod nano, with a mechanism to lock them both together.
* 1/4" and 1/8" output jack.
* Battery life comparable to the RSA Tomahawk (3-400 hours).
* Battery level indicator.
* Digital volume control with locking mechanism.

Then I would seriously consider going portable amplifier again.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want the form factor to exactly match the PMP. The iQube is an exact match to the classic iPod, and that makes it a joy to use.

No one makes a match to the Nano, either current or 3G. One that matched the Nano 3G squat FF would be superb, or one that matched the Fuse.

Plus, align the inputs and outputs so that the LOD and HP cabling makes sense ... the current crop always makes you compromise, twisting the interconnect one way or the other. While we're on it, think thru a soft case to go with it ... access to the volume controls on the amp plus the forward/back controls on the PMP.

Yea, it means picking particular iPod or Sansa or Cowon models, maybe even supplying the cable, or the perfect rubber band (iQube does that) or velcro ... but now you have a premo product:

amp, cable, case, band/velcro

that really work together!

While were at it, make the charging connector match the PMP it's mated with.

Now we have something that makes sense.

Mustang and tomahawk are pretty darned close to the layout of a 3g nano

Users who are viewing this thread

Back