Favorite Word
May 16, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #106 of 165
let me just chime in and say that there are few words I hate more than zeitgeist. I guess it could be my innate hatred for Germans and their ilk (Austrians and Swiss). Just kidding. Ilk is a great word...much better than Elk, which is in turn far superior to caribou. I have to agree that rhubarb is wonderful, if only as a word and not as a jam. My mom makes rhubarb jam, and the smell is sickly sweet. Corn-hole is not as nice as cornpone, and bung is superior to bunghole (both Shakepearian terms...I **** you not: "You filthy bung, away!" That is a direct quote. But I like Hamlet better when he says: "To what base uses we may return, Horatio! Why may not imagination trace the noble dust of Alexander, till he find it stopping a bung-hole?" But enough about bung's and their holes.)
"Ya know" is probably worse when used as a filler like "uh, ummm" and so forth. There is a guy I know who uses it so much that it is almost theatrical. During a four minute speech, I counted that he said "ya know" over 27 times. I just stopped counting.

May 16, 2003 at 7:44 PM Post #107 of 165
Nice post, StuartR. I think a bung hole was actually the drainage hole at the bottom of a barrel, which would need some kind of corky thing as a stopper. I suppose that no matter what was in a barrel back in Shakespeare's time, the stuff at the bottom was not very nice. (cf. "scraping the bottom of the barrel") It is easy to see how the term evolved into its Beavis/Butthead useage!

Anyway, I still like 'semprini'. (No Monty Python fans here?)
cool.gif

May 20, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #108 of 165
Just discovered this word:

[size=medium]callipygian[/size]

Definition: Having beautifully proportioned buttocks.

biggrin.gif

Bruce

May 20, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #109 of 165
supercalifagilisticexpialidotious

Thers a song about this word and all and I just like the ring of it

super-cali-fagilistic-expiali-dotious!!
eek.gif

D

May 20, 2003 at 11:43 PM Post #110 of 165
Quote:

Originally posted by dudlew
supercalifagilisticexpialidotious

Thers a song about this word and all and I just like the ring of it

super-cali-fagilistic-expiali-dotious!!
eek.gif

D

F[size=medium]R[/size]agilistic, c'mon, get it right!
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #111 of 165
fellatio

(As in Shakespeare: "Fellatio, I knew him well." Just trying to get a little head, I guess.)

May 21, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #112 of 165
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
fellatio

(As in Shakespeare: "Fellatio, I knew him well." Just trying to get a little head, I guess.)

lol!

Bung is a great word because people look at you oddly when you use it. (Try it! No one knows what to think of it when you say it out of context.)

I used to dislike zietgeist too... but lately it's been growing on me. Sort of like a mental fungus.

Jun 9, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #117 of 165
How dare you people interrupt me with constant notifications. There I and my crepuscular countenance sat, bung situated firmly in scoliosis brace-strap, when I heard a distinct *you've got mail* bong that promised something of importance (my scatologist claims the sound of tuned gongs is good for the semi-colon). Shame on you. I shan't be distracted from the latest issue of Laptop Nudist.

Jun 9, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #118 of 165
Pedunculated

Jun 9, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #119 of 165
Annihilate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back