favorite Opeth album?
Oct 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #16 of 73
1. MAYH
2. Deliverance
3. BWP

I personally think MAYH has two of the best Opeth tracks ever, April Ethereal and Demon of the Fall. Its a much shorter album, but really knocks you out.

For me Deliverance does not have any weak track. I think it has some really awesome tunes. Masters Apprentices is a killer track.

Am I the only one who thinks that the title track of BWP is just awesome. People talk about The Leper Affinity and The Drapery Falls. Frankly the title song manages to knock my socks off all the time and is a great album closer.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #17 of 73
Opeth were living legends till Akerfeldt started hanging out with that guy from Porcupine Tree...........
very_evil_smiley.gif

One more thing........
RTN has it exactly right Opeth's magnum opus is MAYH

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #18 of 73
1. Orchid
2. Morningrise
3. Deliverance

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #19 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen Deliverance get some bad beef in several of the recent Opeth threads. What is that all about?

I don't know why Deliverance gets a bad rep either. I quite enjoy it myself. But I do pretty much like every Opeth album. I'm not too fond of Orchid or Watershed. Orchid is ok but it's a little bland compared to Morningrise IMO. I just haven't listened to Watershed enough for it to click yet. I should listen to it more...

Ryan

Oct 6, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #20 of 73
Like I said before Deliverance pretty much only has 1 good song, A Fair Judgement. I hate the title track and worse of they play it very often in their live shows when there's tons of tracks more worthy of being included in the setlist. The whole of Deliverance is full of 10min songs like Morningrise, but unlike Morningrise the songs are directionless, draggy and sound half-hearten. It's obvious that after BWP Mikael and co were struggling to find a new sound, that struggle extended to GR and only with Watershed had they managed to find a new sound to latch on to. Both GR and Deliverance are full of songs that sound like ideas pasted together with cheap glue than the songs they have done in the past that's long but never draggy or boring.

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #21 of 73
1. MAYH
2. Everything else. I really like every single album they've done, and Watershed was no let down in any way.

I agree with what others have written, MAYH is their masterpiece.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #22 of 73
I don't like the newer albums very much,not that they are bad, , but they're inevitably the repetition of the same formula ( a damn good formula for sure ). My favoutire one is Morningrise, yes it's pretentious, songs are overlong, but never repetitive IMO... that's the Opeth i like most... MAYH is a close second, When is no doubt my favoutire song by Opeth
wink.gif
However Opeth is one of the few bands that managed to mantain a high quality standard for their entire career so far, all their albums are great, even if i fear that having signed for Roadrunner they will sooner or later go quite commercial ...but i hope i'm wrong...

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #23 of 73
I have to say Still Life. This album has great balance between the "easier" tracks and death-metal tracks.

When I first got into Opeth, it was Damnation only. I hated the growling which is there on all of their other albums. Well after some time I had to check some of their other albums. I started out from the newest and then one by one went for the older albums. It gets rougher and harder when you go to older albums. I still don't like growling but these guys just make so freaking good music that I have to live with the growling. Most of their tracks are masterpieces.

Now I'm at Still Life and suddenly this album is my favorite. After so many people mentioning My Arms, Your Hears, I have to check this one out too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #24 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Masters Apprentices is a killer track.

Thank you.
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who thinks that the title track of BWP is just awesome.[snip

Not at all! I love that track, and that it has progression in the beginning, and in the middle as well, and the 2nd half being even harder than the first. It's like one track with two movements that work well together and progress properly. My favorite part, besides the build-up and subsequent awesomeness of the beginning of the "second movement", is his last line in the song. "The son sets for-ev-er, in the, blackwater pppaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrk." Okay that looks really dumb in text, but the way he screams and enunciates the word "Park" is I think one of the best screams/growls/vocal moments by Akerfield. I would analogy it to Maynard's scream in Ticks & Leeches -- perfect for the song, sets the tone for the song, and is all-around just badass
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why Deliverance gets a bad rep either. I quite enjoy it myself. But I do pretty much like every Opeth album.

lol. Fanboy! <points at you and scowls.>

Actually I can see that. I like every Opeth album i've heard, just like some of my other fave bands - My Dying Bride, Rage Against The Machine, a few other handfuls. Some people just find a band that really works perfectly for what they want. It's pretty awesome when you find that, actually.

Quote:

I just haven't listened to Watershed enough for it to click yet. I should listen to it more...

Yes; do so. I really didn't like Ghost Reveries when I first heard it... most of the tracks made me go, "Eh." However, I now enjoy listening to the album from start to finish, and I love Harlequin Forest and Baying Of The Hounds. I also enjoy how the first three tracks link together in sound and lyrical content.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It gets rougher and harder when you go to older albums.

Seriously? OMGWTFBBQ. No wonder people keep telling me to go get Morningrise. I will have to get MAYH, Morningrise, and Still Life too. I love their harder stuff like BWP and Deliverance, but I didn't know it was even harder before. Sweeeeeeeet
L3000.gif

Quote:

Most of their tracks are masterpieces.

I have to concur.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said before Deliverance pretty much only has 1 good song, A Fair Judgement. I hate the title track and worse of they play it very often in their live shows when there's tons of tracks more worthy of being included in the setlist. The whole of Deliverance is full of 10min songs like Morningrise, but unlike Morningrise the songs are directionless, draggy and sound half-hearten.

? I don't find them to be directionless. I agree that they don't "go places" as much as other songs, in that they are more of a droning, throbbing type of badass Metal-ness, however there's definitely a place for that sound in Metal in general. Maybe it's just not your thing? I hope my terms i'm using above make sense... for example on the title track, it's almost structured like Hip Hop or something in a way (hold your horses, don't flip out yet. Hear me out.) in the sense that the background drums/guitars/etc stays pretty much the same, as does his vocal timing and such. Does that make sense? I can see, when compared to their other works, how this could feel or sound boring and repetitive, but I think it works pretty well. That being said, I am not one to be bothered by repetitive things in general, and very much enjoy some types of music (such as Hip Hop) that are directly linked with and in some ways revolve around repeating musical themes or aspects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[snip] that struggle extended to GR and only with Watershed had they managed to find a new sound to latch on to. Both GR and Deliverance are full of songs that sound like ideas pasted together with cheap glue than the songs they have done in the past that's long but never draggy or boring.

Completely disagree with this, sorry. I didn't like GR when I started listening to it as I said above, but at the time and after giving it a chance it was my favorite Opeth album for a while and essentially on repeat. Yes, I always end up going back to Deliverance and BWP because they are such awesome albums, but I very much like GR as well. I actually would say what you said more about Watershed -- someone mentioned in this or another thread that on this album they are "Trying too hard to be Progressive" which I agree with. They are experimenting with a new sound signature for sure, but i'm not really sure if it's a "good" sound signature for them. I'm sure this was said by others as DarkAngel has said, when they moved from their harder, darker stuff in older albums to the "Porcupine-Tree-infused" sound of the last several albums. Maybe the sound on/of Watershed was influenced by Dream Theater or another close musician friend/group of theirs? That being said I do not dislike Watershed at all. As with GR, it took a well for me to warm up to it, but I don't really gravitate to the "Progressive" endings on songs that don't have much in them musically (backwords vocals, background noise, etc.) That reminds me too much of the boring, way-too-drawn-out endings to Mr Bungle songs. They are cool if you're wanting to listen to experimental music, but don't really give me too much musical enjoyment. When listening to Watershed, I tend to listen to Specific tracks rather than the album as a whole. I love Coil, and Heir Apparent. I will frequently play Heir Apparent over again after listening to it. Porcelain Heart, Lotus Eater and Hessian Peel are close behind. I really like the "Progressive" elements of those songs, especially Heir Apparent, but the overly-minimalist/experimental sections of songs really tend to ruin my ability to fully enjoy it if taking the album as a whole. The sections i'm talking about can be compared musically to the end of the last track on Deliverance. They are kinda cool but I never end up playing through that part of the track unless I can't access the Next Track button for some reason or another.

EDIT: Well, I was just listening to all my Opeth albums while I work, sequentially from BWP -> Deliverance -> GR -> Watershed, and I think i'm starting to prefer Watershed over GR. Go figure... looks like i'm being forced to eat some of my words above!
biggrin.gif
With further review/listening, I feel that overall their newest album is more "cohesive" than GR and Deliverance. Which I believe is what scythe was saying? They do seem very much at the top of their game, too, like they were in BWP. Don't get me wrong, I will still always love all of Deliverance and the tracks Baying Of The Hounds & Harlequin Forest, but I think for me Watershed will eventually be the "sit down and listen to the whole thing" album like BWP is. Yummy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #25 of 73
I think Still Life is probably their "best", but I enjoy listening to Morningrise the most, with Orchid close behind. I think all the others are very good, too. It's quite a hard choice.

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

I have to say Still Life. This album has great balance between the "easier" tracks and death-metal tracks.

When I first got into Opeth, it was Damnation only. I hated the growling which is there on all of their other albums. Well after some time I had to check some of their other albums. I started out from the newest and then one by one went for the older albums. It gets rougher and harder when you go to older albums. I still don't like growling but these guys just make so freaking good music that I have to live with the growling. Most of their tracks are masterpieces.

No one likes extreme vocals initially, but one day you realize it is like an opera singer ornamenting vocals for dark evil atmospheric effect. You actually will prefer them to straight vocal techniques eventually and enjoy the contrast when combining the two styles

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Run out and buy Morningrise right now.

Ryan

I came into this thread to suggest Morningrise, thinking I'd be in the minority. Glad to see it's on everyone's list.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hell, I saw it on vinyl at my local record store and HAD to buy it immediately. Black Rose Immortal (sorry, let me just switch tracks on iTunes... there it is!) is probably my favourite Opeth song of all time.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one likes extreme vocals initially, but one day you realize it is like an opera singer ornamenting vocals for dark evil atmospheric effect. You actually will prefer them to straight vocal techniques eventually and enjoy the contrast when combining the two styles

I got used to it, but I don't actually prefer it... unless it's done well.
biggrin.gif
Opeth certainly does it well. So does Arch Enemy, but I suppose having a woman growling gives it a bit of a different tone than normal. Amon Amarth's growling's pretty good, too.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #29 of 73
I agree, well done death vocals sound amazing, i absolutely don't like those unintelligible grunts used in many goregrind bands,but Akerfeldt's growling is probably my favourite one, together with David Vincent
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #30 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

this is actually gorgeous ! thanks.

Bild2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back