favorite Opeth album?
Feb 23, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #61 of 73
I think i'm going to buy Orchid and Deliverance,then i'll miss only Still life which is super rare on vinyl and the last two albums...are they worth a listen ? I have listened to something off youtube and they don't represent a great change in style, same formula but the mellow parts are starting to sound too poppy, the vocals especially...what's more is that i'm not intentioned to give RR a single penny...i still cant' get why has a band like Opeth felt the need to sign for such a bad label...

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #62 of 73
EDIT: sorry for double post,the site has messed up...

i'll fill in the gap with something interesting
biggrin.gif
Am i the only one who thinks Mike is a comedy genious ? This one is only a minor example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGbSP...eature=related

"I wanna hear a 27/39 with some black...headbanging wallgrinding"

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #63 of 73
IMO, Ghost Reveries is a good album. Fairly complex, a few different styles, and probably a little experiment from the previous stuff. It's also got Baying of the Hounds, which is probably the heaviest song they've done since April Ethereal/Amen Corner.

Also imo, Watershed is utter mellotron wannabe-prog-rock-pop trash and not worth your time. Others will, of course, disagree.

But I think Still Life is considerably better than either and should be higher on the priorities (than GR and Ws, I mean. Orchid should be purchased post haste).

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i'm going to buy Orchid and Deliverance,then i'll miss only Still life which is super rare on vinyl and the last two albums...are they worth a listen ? I have listened to something off youtube and they don't represent a great change in style, same formula but the mellow parts are starting to sound too poppy, the vocals especially...what's more is that i'm not intentioned to give RR a single penny...i still cant' get why has a band like Opeth felt the need to sign for such a bad label...

Your top priority should be to get Still Life, even if you have to rob/beg/pirate/sell your body it's still a must have. Orchid is not bad but I am not sure if it's worth being brought; parts of it is good but parts of it isn't. The same could be said about Ghost Reveries; it started off with 2 great songs but became very disappointing after that. But I do like Watershed, it's a nice change in style. Not as good as their previous effort but as a whole more consistently good than Orchid or Ghost Reveries.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #65 of 73
I have bought Orchid and Deliverance, for what i have heared on youtube i'm going to like Orchid, raw production, different growling vocals than the newer albums, i liked the vocal style more until MAYH...in addition to that it is pressed on transparent purple vinyl, how could i skip that ?
biggrin.gif
Deliverance instead is one of the koch reamsters on black 180g, i have BWP and it sounds great...Still Life is extremely rare, it pops out probably once a year on ebay and sometimes goes for 100$+...but i might find it for less sooner or later...

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #67 of 73
Yes, on vinyl...Deliverance, Damnation and Blackwater Park have been recently reissued by Koch records and easy to find...the first three are available on Back on Black records...for Still Life you have to find an used original press... on Peaceville

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #68 of 73
Does the vinyl Still Life still have the channel drop outs during "The Moor" like the CDs (original & remaster)?

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #70 of 73
I don't think the dropouts are on the Still Life special edition 5.1 mix. I haven't checked carefully, but I remember someone remarking about them being fixed (during the discussion about how it sounded much better, also).

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #71 of 73
Wow, I didn't know who Opeth were, and was definitely surprised. I was expecting vocals similar to Chevelle's frontman. While I like the heavy guitars, bass and percussion, the vocals throw me off too much. When he croons in the ballads with just a normal voice, I likes! Then that gutteral where I can't understand anything spewing out of his mouth, the fascination ends.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #72 of 73
I know, many listeners only like the "acoustic" side of Opeth ( have you listened to Damnation ? i'ts a pure progressive rock album )...but they are a death metal band for the 90% of their musical output...obviously it's a melodic and progressive kind of death, they're not Nile but still too heavy for someone who doesn't appreciate the genre...

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #73 of 73
I like them all: maybe Orchid is still a bit less stunning, but all of Opeth's albums are very good.

Personally, I love "Ghost reveries" probably because it was the first album I heard from this band and it came as a complete surprise. I also like "Damnation" a lot, although it certainly isn't typical of their style. And say what you want, but "Watershed" is a masterpiece too. Of course all the other ones are masterpieces, so their "best" it's just a matter of mood...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back