Ryan

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Run out and buy Morningrise right now.

Ryan

If I do that to the letter, I think i'd get fired for job abandonment
frown.gif

I will do it later when i'm not at work, though. Thanks!

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 73
My Arms, Your Hears.

There are great moments throughout all of their albums, though some have more weak spots than others. But MA,YH is perfection (ignoring the bonus tracks).

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 73
I've never really loved Opeth as albums - which is unusual for me. None of their full albums have been so amazing for me, though it has felt so at times. I don't have a vote to cast right now, but definitely thoroughly enjoy things from every album

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I do that to the letter, I think i'd get fired for job abandonment
frown.gif

I will do it later when i'm not at work, though. Thanks!

It's worth abandoning your job for... hehe j/k. It's my favorite album by them.

Ryan

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 73
If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be either Still Life or Damnation.

IMO the older Opeth albums remind me of older In Flames, and older Dark Tranquillity. They are definitely good albums, in fact every Opeth album is very good imo.

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #11 of 73
If I were to rank all their albums:

Legendary classic:
Blackwater Park
MAYH
Still Life

Great:
Morningrise

Good:
Damnations
Watershed
Orchid

Decent:
Ghost Reveries

Poor:
Deliverance

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #12 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Arms, Your Hearse.

There are great moments throughout all of their albums, though some have more weak spots than others. But MA,YH is perfection (ignoring the bonus tracks).

That has always been the only Opeth album I could listen to straight through without hitting a dull patch. Quite simply, it rocks!

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #13 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Run out and buy Morningrise right now.

I concur, job or no job.

I'd go with
1) Morningrise
2) MAYH
3) Still Life/Orchid

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 73
I've seen Deliverance get some bad beef in several of the recent Opeth threads. What is that all about? The entire album is heavy, which is good. Master's Apprentices I think is one of their best songs... it's got that badass sound with a "pulse" and timing that's just perfect. Deliverance (title track) has a very dark and quotable line (again one of the best amongst recent albums) -- "Tell me how your heart's in need / As I drown you in the sea."

Also, A Fair Judgement has IMHO one of the best Opeth guitar solos. It is also a great mix between their darker and softer/melodic sounds. I think with the other tracks, like Master's Apprentices, this album has a very good "Metal" timing to all of it. When I want to listen to heavier Opeth stuff I usually go for this album.

I think maybe people here dislike it because it doesn't sound so great on headphones. Listen to it on speakers at least once. It sounds fine and good on speakers
biggrin.gif

What say you?

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #15 of 73
My favorite Opeth album is MAYH. Quite simply, it is the greatest metal album ever written to me. From the first piano note on Prologue to the ending guitar outro on Epilogue, it flows very smoothly. The production is a double edged sword, in that it is not the best, but it creates a great atmosphere. I really wonder what it would sound like if someone like Steve Wilson or Steve Hoffman took their time with it.

Sduibek: Deliverance gets some bad press because it is not as solid throughout as albums like MAYH, Still Life, Morningrise, or even BWP (which itself is not 100% solid). It does, however, contain the title track (which is one of their best songs), A Fair Judgement, and By the Pain I See In Others. Through headphones, it is extremely precise; some would say cold. It does not have that kind of organic feel to the pre-BWP albums.

All of their albums are great, and I would say that the only one that I do not listen to regularly is Ghost reveries... by far their weakest album. Watershed is not their best work, but overall much better than GR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back