Favorite new release of 2002?
Dec 5, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #31 of 39
basshead,

i finally got my Phrenology copy today in the mail, with DVD (i cant wait to go home to watch it).

having seen the roots twice in 2002, and owning all their cds, i can say i love this group. but they really surprised me with this album. their evolution is astounding. quite a jump in styles with this album, as mentioned. i like the infusion of soul/funk....really good energy going on.

i head songs 2 (Rock you) and 10 (Water) live, back during the Smokin Grooves tour. i loved the songs then, and couldnt wait for the new album. im most pleased, and there are still another 7 tracks on the cd to listen to!!

my additions to best of 2002:
Jurassic 5 - power in numbers
DJ Shadow - private press

...almost forgot:
NERD
blackalicous
[will insert more later]

also, ill second:
RHCP - btw,
QoftheSA

i need to go buy Tori for my g/f...

tehpressman
thanks for the dj spooky rec!! ill check it out.

Dec 6, 2002 at 9:01 AM Post #32 of 39
Sparta - Wiretap Scars

The softer / quieter but just as rocking side of ATDI. Sparta's got the same intertwining guitar lines that ATDI had but in a new context... it's great.

Check out track 9 "RX Coup"

Dec 6, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #33 of 39
Definitely - Lost in Space - Aimee Mann

But, I did love the comback by Paul Westerberg - Stereo

I think that The Vines and The Strokes were probably the only new rock bands that actually lived up the hype - I'm thinking specifically of The White Stripes and The Hives as the other hype-machines.

Revan

Dec 16, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #39 of 39
I've gotta go with Wynton Marsalis: All Rise. Man-o-man, what an ambitious work. With Wynton Marsalis (Composer), Esa-Pekka Salonen (Conductor), Norman Pearson (Performer), Victor Goines (Performer), Marcus Printup (Performer), Wynton paints shades ala George Gershwin/Vaughan Williams/Aaron Copland, as well as other influences. The scope of this work along with fine performances and superb sound of this two disc set make it my pick for the "best of 2002"

B00006EXIC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back