Favorite new release of 2002?
Nov 25, 2002 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

zoboomofo

1000+ Head-Fier
I'll vote for Aphex Twin -Drukqs

reasons:
1) The music is, at times, so complex; I still haven't grown bored with it.

2) It's eclectic in pace, style, and instrumentation/programming.

3) Richard James really knows how to milk a good groove when he hears one, and he isn't afraid to let it run long.

4) It's got a sort of spring time vibe that just feels right to me.

5) It sounds damn awesome - better than any other electronica cd I have - especially compared to Thievery Corporation (compression - blechh!).

Nov 25, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 39
Wasn't Druqs from last year? I swear I saw the vinyl issues of it in November or October (might be wrong though).

Tom Waits' Alice is my pick, the album stands on its own as something very unique and, even in light of his body of work, as Waits pushing boundaries. Its interesting to listen to him fall into Lewis Carrol's character and straddle the line between deep dark infatuation and a sense of hope found in the title character. The album sets its own tone and literally takes the listener on a journey, just really damned good ****.

Nov 25, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 39
Mmm... **** (as opposed to mmm ****)! I guess you're right. What a silly bunt. Ok, I'll have to think about this one a bit then. I could have sworn it was new over here in Feb, but the copyright label says otherwise
redface.gif

Ok, I vote for Sigur Ros - (). I know it's not as exciting, but it beats the "Best Of" cds I got
frown.gif
. I dig the quasi-classical sensibilites with the rock sound. It's interesting, and fantastic for sure.

I'm sure this one came out this year even if track 4 appeared in Vanilla Sky (2001)

Nov 25, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 39
This is always a very tough question because mostly I buy older albums remastered or greatest hits etc, but here are my picks:

Opeth - Deliverance
In Flames - Reroute to Remain
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way
Queens of Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Vines - Highly Evolved

Vines really ripped up the MTV music awards with their live performance following the Hives in battle of the bands.

Carlo is correct, Aphex Twin "drukqs" was released 10/2001

Nov 25, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 39
DreamTheater - Six Degrees Of Turbulence was, in the end, dissapointing, Nightwish as well, and Nolan&Wakeman grew more and more boring...but Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music was pretty cool. new stuff from Sigur Ros, Peter Gabriel and Porcupine Tree should be up there too, ut I haven't heard them (yet).

of the new albums I've heard tho, I think Bruce Springsteen - The Rising was most enjoyable.

best re-release award goes to the Peter Gabriel catalogue.

Nov 25, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 39
Buckethead - Electric Tears : while a lot of Buckethead's work is crazy avant-guitar weirdo metal, this one sounds more like the beautiful Colma. The difference between this and Colma is that it's his first completely solo (no bass or drums) cd. I was a little skeptical about this when I bought it, but he actually pulls it off really well. There's even a tribute to Miles Davis (Sketches Of Spain), which I didn't expect someone like Buckethead to do.

Ben Folds - Live : another completely solo cd. I'm not the biggest Ben Folds fan (never seen him live), but the performances are just amazing; I'd rather listen to many of them over the studio recordings. The bonus DVD made me want to buy it more, other artists should take note.

other cds, but I suck at reviewing so I'll just give a small description:
Yagya - The Rhythm Of Snow : beautiful ambient music, Click here for AMG review
DJ Spooky - Optometry : it's a jazz cd, honest! It's actually on Thirsty Ear's Blue Series, which is really great. Click here for AMG review.
and... Les Claypool's Frog Brigade - Purple Onion. Because I love everything he does (fanboy)

I can't just choose one, especially since they're all from different genres. The Buckethead & Yagya are overall the most enjoyable to me.

Nov 25, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 39
stereolab: "abc music"
two discs of minimally produced songs from the lab recorded by the bbc. it gets better every time i listen to it. one of the best sounding semi-live albums i've heard as well.

Nov 26, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
another vote for the new sigur ros, although the flaming lips are a close second, and by the way, not to crap, but darkangel, how is opeth, are they similar to porcupine tree?

Probably not (I have no Porcupine) Opeth seamlessly transitions from very aggressive sometimes brutal metal to beautiful acoustic passages that are skillfully developed. They also use death and clean vocals to progress the song theme/structure. This may be challenging for many newcomers to listen too, but perhaps you will grow to enjoy this music as much as I do.

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 39
It's a tossup between the 'Lips, Kathryn Williams (Old Low Light), Doves and Badly Drawn Boy's "About a Boy" OST..at this point, I'm leaning towards Doves, although Yoshimi's charms have yet to wear off...

- Wasif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back