Favorite Musical Discovery of the Past Year
Nov 29, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #106 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not too hip on singer songwriters so I can thank head-fi for introducing me to Nina Nastasia. I now own "Dogs" and "The Blackened Air." Both are good enough that I plan to pick up more. Her spare, gothic style really suits me.

Excellent! I'm always happy to hear more people are enjoying her. I think she's incredibly talented and her ability to create a mood and atmosphere are tough to beat.

For me I'd have it say it's been Ulver. Shadows of the Sun is an incredible album... Dark, moody and just challenging enough of a listen to keep me on my toes. And working back, I've really been enjoying Blood Inside as well.

Honerable mentions go to Unter Null. The Failure Epiphany is a great piece of EBM/Terror/Electronica and Epica, whose back catalog I find lacking, but whose latest, The Divine Conspiracy, keeps me coming back for more and reveals something new with each listen.

Dec 9, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #111 of 192
RIVERSIDE (porcupine style.. from Poland)

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #114 of 192
All old stuff I know, but I don't care.................

Van Der Graaf Generator: a PROG band where the virtuoso is the leader singer you say? Hammill is my all time favorite vocalist along with Peter Gabriel.

Love: Arthur Lee's humanity is something unique in the rock pantheon.

BB's Pets Sounds: I've avoided the BBs for a long time, but this is quite a piece of work

Elvis Costello: I grew up in the 80s but managed to avoid him. Was I listening to too much New Order and Husker Du?

Outkast: Thank God I'm able to count one rap group as indispensible

And what was I thinking reading all 12 pages of this thread. Maybe I'll look up The National next...............

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #115 of 192
MUSE - prog rock band

Future Sound of London - Experimental Techno Trance ??

Fates Warning - Heavy Metal band

The Advantage - Nintendo Cover Band

among others these are just some off the top of my head

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #116 of 192
Arvo Part, John Adams, John Cage and a growing appreciation for 20th century classical. Never much cared for it in the past, but something clicked, it made sense and I began to enjoy it. Not sure why, but the same thing happened with Bach, country & western and jazz. I'm not sure what will open up next, but it's always a rush when it happens.

Aside from that, other artists/albums I've enjoyed the heck out of in 2007 are Can (their SACD remasters are terrific), Cracker's new album "Greenland," Dixie Dregs, Dorothy Ashby, Gram Parsons, and Sun Ra.

Also, great thread! I've been taking notes on other stuff to check out. I always love year end wrapups - I always end up finding plenty to listen to in the new year.

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #117 of 192
The entire genre of classical guitar. Ever since I started learning 8 or 9 months ago, I can't get enough!

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #119 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The entire genre of classical guitar. Ever since I started learning 8 or 9 months ago, I can't get enough!

Bearing that in mind...
Carlo Domeniconi ---- Koyuunbaba suite

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #120 of 192
Pure Reason Revolution
The Dear Hunter

and someone mentioned Riverside - I was pissed that Best Buy didn't have their album, but it looks very promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back