Favorite Musical Discovery of the Past Year
Nov 2, 2007 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 192

SuperNothing

500+ Head-Fier
So this thread is just for everyone to list their favorite musical discovery of the past year. I figure it is November already so enough of the year has gone by for this to work. Your favorite discovery can be a song, a band, a composer or anything as long as you heard it for the first time this year. It doesn't even have to have been released this year.

For me my favorite discovery was the band One Cool Guy.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 192
The Bedlam Bards. I picked up their CD "On The Drift" because the entire CD was a tribute to Firefly. Glorious Music.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 192
Completely new to me, the title goes (hands down, might I add) to Battles and their current release "Mirrored". I do believe I owe Redshifter a big, wet THANK YOU for that one.

Otherwise, I discovered I love The Shins. Don't know how I managed to avoid them for so long, but there's no going back. They're wonderful.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 192
Spoon and The National, I know they have both been around awhile but they are new to me.

Also Re-Discovered my love for Vinyl. Finally got around to buying myself a new turntable ( Project debut 3 ) and I can't get enough.

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spoon and The National, I know they have both been around awhile but they are new to me.

Also Re-Discovered my love for Vinyl. Finally got around to buying myself a new turntable ( Project debut 3 ) and I can't get enough.

You and me both, brother. I guess the TT was from 2006 though, technically. Picked it up on New Years' Eve... and it was the Debut III, piano black.
blink.gif
Had been about 7 years since my old inherited table went kaput. Would be great to find Battles on vinyl!

We are the same, you and I.
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely new to me, the title goes (hands down, might I add) to Battles and their current release "Mirrored". I do believe I owe Redshifter a big, wet THANK YOU for that one.

Otherwise, I discovered I love The Shins. Don't know how I managed to avoid them for so long, but there's no going back. They're wonderful.

Funnily enough, these are the two that I came here to say.

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozstrike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funnily enough, these are the two that I came here to say.

Haha! Tell me you've recently acquired a Pro-Ject turntable.
icon10.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 192
Ryuichi Sakamoto. i feel like every few years a japanese musician will come outof left field and knock me off my feet.

Also the album Open Season. its a remix of Feist tracks from Let it Die. i've listened to it maybe 100 times since august.

oh, and glendale:
Battles!! definately. and listen to this. its pretty funny. just last week i went to a local record store and flipped out and bought way more vinyl than i could really afford. Mirrored was one of the albums. now here's the funny thing: i dont own a turntable yet. and JUST FIVE MINUTES AGO i emailed sumiko asking if they can ship me a debut III.
eek.gif
what is going on here?!

lol
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 192
Hahaha! It's a phenomenon I tells ya! A bona-fide phenomenon! Great to hear that it is indeed available on vinyl - consider it my next wax purchase.

Just the same, the Debut is a really decent deck at its pricepoint, although I'm still itching to buy a new cart to replace the way-too-sibilant (IMO) stock Ortofon.

Also, as an aside, full credit for the Battles turn-on is in fact due to AMAN, not Redshifter as mentioned earlier. I believe he got a whole bunch of us Head-Fi geeks hooked onto it.

What's that guy Redshifter good for anyway?
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are the same, you and I.
wink.gif

If we are the same I better get a copy of battles and see what I am missing.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 192
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Battles - Mirrored (I'd feel left out if I didn't mention this
wink.gif
)
The National - Boxer
M.I.A. - Kala
...and countless others.

And pre-2007 stuff that I only discovered this year:

Pixies - Doolittle & Surfer Rosa (you'd think I'd have heard this a long time ago)
Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom (have had El Oso for the longest time though)
Joy Division - Closer

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 192
Cecilia Bartoli - Opera Proibita: My first coloratura soprano and hopefully not my last. I don't care if she's the Kylie of the Opera world, I find this CD amazing.

Doves: I wasn't sure I really liked the music. It seemed a bit mumbly and dark. Repeated listening changed my mind. Very melodic tunes.

Elbow: More laid back, slightly drunken, older brother of Doves.

The Field Mice - For Keeps: Bittersweet, jangly pop reminiscent of The Sundays yet slightly darker, deeper and more varied.

The Sixteen - Ikon: Quite deserving of the uber-choir title. An awesome display of power and finesse.

My appreciation of my collection has been greatly helped this year by my acquisition of some pretty decent gear. It got to the point where I was almost playing ABBA - Greatest Hits on loop.

Yay for Head-Fi
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back