Favorite Musical Discovery of the Past Year
Nov 25, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #166 of 192
Actually, I'd like to add one more recent discovery.

Amadou and Mariam - Welcome to Mali(Courtesy of Jools Holland's Later...)

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #167 of 192
Hungry Lucy, Ladytron, Children of Bodom

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #169 of 192
NiL - French progressive band. Awesome.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #171 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really like maria taylor - somewhat recent - and that led me to her former band azure ray, which is just as good.

If you haven't checked it out already, Orenda Fink (the other half of Azure Ray) also has a solo album out, Invisible Ones that I think is stronger than both Maria Taylor discs.

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #172 of 192
My Dying Bride
Dimmu Borgir
Iced Earth

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #174 of 192
Joanna Newsom. Heard some warbling music playing in a coffee shop and it turned out to be The Milk Eyed Mender. Was intrigued enough to buy the album and it's really good.

To the other extreme, caught Lamb of God when they toured in the UK earlier this year and their latest album Sacrement is a stunning. have since worked my way back through their catalogue.

Not much of an unknown, but Modern Guilt by Beck is the first of anything of his I've listened to (apart from Loser which was how long ago now?). Going to raid my gf's CDs to hear more of his work.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #175 of 192
Nightwish,tarja era.
Never even knew they existed and i got hold of most of the albums.
I do like dark passion play and annette is really gorgeous but she just hasn't got the power in her voice that tarja had.

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #177 of 192
Pirate metal! Folk metal. Wow!
Groups like Alehouse and Finntroll and Falkenbach and others. Lots of fun.

I also reacquanted myself with Hawkwind for a bit of Space metal. Very cool.
I remember listening to Hawkwind back in the early 1970's on the only FM station we had in Regina, Saskachewan. I was thinking about different genres of heavy metal and decided to get a Hawkwind album (Captain Beyond). An excellent album.

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #178 of 192
Various bands, but all of which are roughly along the same lines:

Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, System 7, The Orb and Mirror System ... still look for new bands in this area if people have suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back