Favorite Kung fu movies
Jun 20, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #16 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
Suposedly Chuck Norris was a real fighter back in the mid to late 60s

Edit: It seems like he was the world champ in karate several times during the 60's

Jun 20, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #17 of 78
ok, here is my list :

Drunken Master II
Five Element Ninjas (Super Ninjas)
Iron Monkey (the newer one)
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Swordman 2
Last Hurrah for Chivalry
Super Cop
Yojimbo
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Duel to the Death
Enter the Dragon
Fist of Fury
Story of Ricky
Kid with the Golden Arm
Kung Fu Cult Master
The Legend of Zu
Ninja: The Final Duel
Five Deadly Vemons
Fist of the Northstar (Anime)
Ninja Scroll (Anime)
The Storm Riders
The Tai Chi Master
Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain
Ran
Seven Samurai

Jun 20, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #18 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS
I just cannot believe that no one has yet mentioned Five Fingers of Death . The movie came out in something like 1972, and was the very first kung fu release in the US. This was the movie that started the kung fu craze. I was 17 at the time, and I just *loved* that film. I was browsing amazon, and it is available on DVD.

Five Fingers of Death @ amazon

Yeah, I was just going to say, "The Five Deadly Fingers of Death". Also anything with Bruce Lee. After that, the Bruce Li movies aren't too bad. But I draw the line at those Brewce Leigh, Broose Lea, and other ripoffs!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #20 of 78
Jun 20, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #22 of 78
Quote:

I just cannot believe that no one has yet mentioned Five Fingers of Death . The movie came out in something like 1972, and was the very first kung fu release in the US. This was the movie that started the kung fu craze. I was 17 at the time, and I just *loved* that film. I was browsing amazon, and it is available on DVD.

You sir are a true connoisseur of kung fu cinema - and you beat me to the, er...punch.

Also gotta add (and don't hate me for this) Bloodsport. Van Damme is OK in it but the rest of the kumite fighters rock. It was the first movie I ever saw with Muay Thai fighting.

Kung fu movies changed my life. I kickbox now because of all that Bruce Lee cinema I was exposed to in childhood.

Jun 20, 2003 at 1:28 PM Post #24 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Why don't you have these movies on DVD?

Oh I will.
very_evil_smiley.gif
rs1smile.gif
<----cool new smilies!

On the top of my to check out list.

THE DUEL.

same makers as Storm riders.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #26 of 78
Quote:

RacerX said...

Also gotta add (and don't hate me for this) Bloodsport. Van Damme is OK in it but the rest of the kumite fighters rock. It was the first movie I ever saw with Muay Thai fighting.

I love that movie as well. Though, I don't consider it a kung-fu movie, more an action movie that happens to feature various martial arts. For kung-fu, I'm all about Drunken Master and Drunken Master 2.

Jun 20, 2003 at 5:01 PM Post #27 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Oh I will.
very_evil_smiley.gif
rs1smile.gif
<----cool new smilies!

On the top of my to check out list.

THE DUEL.

same makers as Storm riders.
biggrin.gif

from a review :

"Following in the footsteps of The Storm Riders (1998) and A Man Called Hero (1999), Andrew Lau ends this “trilogy” with The Duel. Wong Jing’s influence on this picture is painfully present though in the form of bad humor! This is especially apparent during the first half of the film while the viewer is still being introduced to the various characters. But the cast is great and the visuals too, so if you enjoy either Wong Jing or Andrew Lau productions it should be right up your alley."

great kung-fu sites :

http://www.kungfucinema.com

http://www.kfccinema.com/

http://www.shaolin.com

Jun 20, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #28 of 78
Wow, no one's mentioned The Story of Ricky or Drunken Wu Tang. Shocking! They could probably be considered the pinnacles of their genre, which would be the low-budget, poorly acted, completely over the top "martial arts" movie genre. Entertaining though. The clip of the Watermelon Monster from Drunken Wu Tang brings back some memories.

But neither of them can measure up to the cinematic perfection that is Challenge the Ninja. I think one scene can sum up the movie: Mark the Ninja (the "hero") is enjoying a walk in the park one sunny day. All of the sudden he witnesses an evil ninja (you know he's a ninja because he wears a head band that says "ninja") stealing a purse from an innocent old lady. Wasting no time, he quickly heads over to a conveniently placed bush, using his fast-forwarded, shuffle step ninja run, to ambush the evil-doer. As the evil ninja runs past, Mark throws a stick at his feet to trip him. As the stick hits the ground, it turns into Mark the Ninja (in full cammo ninja garb), who, of course threw the stick in the first place. The then fight, with Mark dispatching the evil ninja and then going on his merry way, apparently forgetting to return the purse. Maybe he needed some gas money. Bear in mind that this doesn't even get into Red Devil, Silver Fox, Billy the Guzman, or the incredible dog attack scene. Highly, highly recommended, if you can find it. Drinking helps.The Story of Ricky Drunken Wu Tang

Jun 20, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #29 of 78
i used to watch martial arts movies 24/7. i have a prediliction for jet li and jackie chan, and i own nearly all their movies in one format or another (mostly cheap vcd's from chinatown). i guess i'm also biased against the old school 70's styled kung fu movies, but practically all my favorites are from the 90's or 80's.

fist of legend - great remake of bruce lee's fist of fury. jet li is one badass mofo, and this is why yuen woo ping is one of the best choreographers around.

once a upon a time in china series - in particular the first and second movies. i'm not too fond of the ones where jet li did not star in. a movie about the legendary wong fei hung. great fighting, humour, romance, and historical references galore. i laughed, i cried, i tried to do the no shadow kick. what more could you want?

enter the dragon - bruce lee. nuff said.

fists of fury (some times fists of fury and chinese connection have the names switched) - bruce lee in a "you killed my master, now you must die" movie. just about ever martial arts star has done a remake of this movie, and there's a reason for it. (stay away from jackie chan's version. it's one of the most horrible movies ever.)

drunken master 2 - jackie chan as wong fei hung. his movies never really have a good plot, but he's got some of the greatest action scenes. what i like about jackie chan is that he always uses wires tastefully. you never see him fly around, but he uses wires in ways that look very realistic. with that said, this movie has some of his best wire work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back