Favorite Headphone Moments in Songs
May 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #31 of 39
All the guitar moments by John Frusciante in Red Hot Chili peppers,
as in
Tear 2:17 - 2:30 (By The Way)
Strip My Mind -  First few seconds
basically, a lot of songs by RHCP where John plays the guitar.

May 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #33 of 39
Slash's soloing from November Rain, amazing stuff. I still remember watching the music video when I was little, now it's even more amazing when you listen to it on a good headphone setup

May 13, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #35 of 39
Ok, here's a couple that I will describe as best I can.

Kissing Families by Silversun Pickups off the Pikul album. At the 3:22 mark, Joe Lester, the band's keyboardist, plays a short, pulsing synth solo which ends abruptly as a cello, played by Tanya Haden (actor Jack Black's wife) begins at the 3:31 mark. I think the stark contrast of those two sounds, new vs old, is pretty cool.

Albert Collin's "If Trouble Was Money" off the album, "Collins Mix: The Best Of" is a 9:21 slice of Blues heaven. Collins begins the first part of the song in his usual "ice picking" style, using mainly quick, short notes in his licks. Suddenly, at the 4:00 mark, another guitar joins the fray, playing these loooong notes and then ripping thru the licks. The mystery guitarist is the late Gary Moore, former lead guitarist for Thin Lizzy and recent converted bluesman. Again, the contrast in styles just blows me away.

YMMV 
smile.gif

May 13, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian loves music /img/forum/go_quote.gif

let me add, 4:54 into Sigur ros' vaka (off the () album). Headphones make it even more intimate...this song is pure beauty. It gives me shivers everytime listening to it and a lot of the time makes my eyes watery

Actually, my favorite moment from that record is Staralfur at the 03:15 mark, when the drums come rippling in after the sound has dropped out.

Another one that springs to mind is the second side of Thick as a Brick, at about the three-minute mark.  There's a skittery drum solo, then some tympani come banging out of the far right and left channels.  I'd never really noticed the spacing so much through speakers, but through headphones, it's quite jarring at first.  In a good way.

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #39 of 39
In no particular order:

Propeller Seeds by Imogen Heap (lots of cool effects and things throughout the song that are subtle, but really wonderful, along with her lovely voice)

Kodamas from the Princess Mononoke soundtrack

Dreams 3 from the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack (short track, but awesome panning)

Cannonball by Damien Rice (beautiful guitar work and voice)

The rest of these are electronic:

Basshead by Bassnectar (just an awesome dubstep track with a great buildup and heavy drop with really nice cutting and periods of silence)

Gutter by Vinnie Maniscalco (very nice instrument separation, this is a great definition of trap)

Memo by Roto (Great intro drums and build to the drop)

Bombaclaad Star by Liquid Stranger (Awesome track.  Great slow build to the depth of the track) WAV download here: https://soundcloud.com/interchill/liquid-stranger-bombaclaad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back