Favorite Guitar Album?
Apr 21, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buckethead - Population Override
Buckethead - Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot.

Well, I could go on about big B. Love that dude.

+1

There's way too many great albums done by him to list them all.

I'll say Thanatopsis - 'Axiology' would have to be one of the best Buckethead albums imho, similar to Population Override but even more solid if that's possible.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One album that's really grabbed me lately is 'Art Metal' by Mattias Eklundh and Jonas Hellborg. Absolutely fascinating stuff!

Agreed, excellent album. I don't think I have heard a Hellborg album that wasn't absolutely fascinating though (that said so far I only have albums post Abstract Logic; but I have most of them.)

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Colombiafrica - The Mystic Orchestra - Voodoo Love Inna Champeta-Land

It's got Diblo, and Dally Kimoko, Sékou Diabaté, Nyboma and Rigo Star. I saw Rigo in LA once. Like most African shows, it started at 1am and went until dawn.

How did I miss this post? Anyway, I'm quite familiar with this disc…"Diamond Fingers" Diabate in Colombia with Rigo Star and Diblo Dibala? I'm there. Too bad it was a one-off thing, though. If they'd sunk deeper into this synthesis, no telling what they'd come up with.

How 'bout veteran Congolese guitarist gone to Cuba to gig with a Cuban contemporary?

Papa Noel & Papi Oviedo - Bana Congo (Sometimes I wish Noel would let the real singers sing, but the string work here is stellar.)

As for straight-up Cuban, try:

Eliades Ochoa - Tribute to the Cuarteto Patria

Septeto Nacíonal Ignacio Piñeiro - Soneros de Cuba

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did I miss this post? Anyway, I'm quite familiar with this disc…"Diamond Fingers" Diabate in Colombia with Rigo Star and Diblo Dibala? I'm there. Too bad it was a one-off thing, though. If they'd sunk deeper into this synthesis, no telling what they'd come up with.

How 'bout veteran Congolese guitarist gone to Cuba to gig with a Cuban contemporary?

Papa Noel & Papi Oviedo - Bana Congo (Sometimes I wish Noel would let the real singers sing, but the string work here is stellar.)

As for straight-up Cuban, try:

Eliades Ochoa - Tribute to the Cuarteto Patria

Septeto Nacíonal Ignacio Piñeiro - Soneros de Cuba

I realize I cheated a little calling Colombiafrica a South American album, but I guess it kind of is. As for the Cuban albums you mention, you got me on those (I'm kind of weak on the Cuban). I will keep an ear out for them.

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #51 of 72
Vai - Passion and Warfare
Vai - Alien Love Secrets
Satriani - Surfing with the Alien
Satriani - The Extremist
Eric Johnson - Tones
Eric Johnson - Ah via Musicom
Shawn Land / Jonas Hellborg - Time is the Enemy
Dave Sharman - 1990
Greg Koch - The Grip
Larry Carlton / Steve Lukather - No Substitutions
MVP - Centrifugal Funk (Lane, Garsed, Gambale)
and a few others....

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #52 of 72
This self-titled album from Johnny Hiland is great:

39374f.jpg

--Jerome

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, please...let's not turn this into a name dropping contest. The OP asked for albums. I like to use these threads to check out albums as well. I always have time to take a look at an album, but I don't have time to check out several dozen artists. I'm just sayin'.

good point.. I can think of a whole bunch of great guitar albums, but one in particular that I can't stop playing is..

TJ Kirk - Talking Only Makes It Worse.. unfortunately, this isn't a well known group.. but it's an amazing lineup of guitarists... I think it's Charlie Hunter, Will Bernard, and another virtuoso I can't remember the name of.. it's a live album where they just play covers of tunes by Thelonius Monk, James Brown, and Rahsaan Roland Kirk. If you like stuff that grooves.. or stuff that is funky and jazzy at the same time, I guarantee you will love this album. If you're already a fan of Charlie Hunter, you definitely got to hear this. Check out the reviews on Amazon if you're curious.. there are only a couple, but they sum up the music better than I can. So funky it's ridiculous...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buckethead- Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot, Albino Slug, Colma, Crime Slunk Scene, Population Override
Joe Satriani- Surfing With the Alien (Or, if we can drop comp albums, The Electric Joe Satriani. His absolute best work.)
Eric Clapton- Unplugged
Wes Montgomery- The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

A few of my absolute favorites.

EDIT: As far as the greatest living guitarist, Buckethead absolutely gets my vote.

X2 my man!

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

There's way too many great albums done by him to list them all.

I'll say Thanatopsis - 'Axiology' would have to be one of the best Buckethead albums imho, similar to Population Override but even more solid if that's possible.

Great, great CD!

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #59 of 72
Jimi Hendrix- Band of Gypsys

Django Reinhardt - Best Collection

Derek & the Dominoes - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back