Favorite Guitar Album?
Apr 18, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 72
My latest CD has some really good guitar work on it.
The Essential Chet Atkins
Amazon.com: The Essential Chet Atkins: Chet Atkins: Music
And anything by Bruce Cockburn.

B
k701smile.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sync /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't seem to stop listening to Galaxie 500's On Fire and it got me thinking...What are some of your favorite albums for guitar? Any kind of guitar is fine...acoustic, spanish, your homemade 3 string...

If you mention "On Fire," Luna's "Penthouse" comes immediately to mind. As for other guitar albums in the indie vein, Television's "Marquee Moon" and Pavement's "Slanted & Enchanted."

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #21 of 72
Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom. Man that guy can play.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #24 of 72
There are a lot of great albums featuring guitar work that are frequently overlooked on Head-Fi:

Roy Buchanan - Guitar on Fire: The Atlantic Sessions

39356f.jpg

John Fahey - The Great Santa Barbara Oil Slick

38497f.jpg

Bill Frisell - Gone, Just Like a Train

39739f.jpg

Buddy Guy - Buddy Guy Live: The Real Deal

13158f.jpg

Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

68815f.jpg

Gary Moore - The Power of the Blues

4363f.jpg

Sonny Sharrock - Guitar

44057f.jpg

The Smokin' Joe Kubek Band - Texas Cadillac

13183f.jpg

While I don't particularly care for the singing of Bnois King, Joe Kubek is one helluva guitarist.

Jimmy Thackery - Guitar

5338f.jpg

Frank Zappa - Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar

3986f.jpg

--Jerome

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #25 of 72
What, no Hendrix?!? How's that even possible? Anyway, it's awesome to see Sonny Sharrock namechecked. That cat's playing was out of this world…I even dig his skewed pop record, Highlife, keyboards and all.

To stick with the less obvious:

James Blood Ulmer - Odyssey

Derek Bailey - Drop Me Off At 96th

Marc Ribot - Don't Blame Me or Saints (FYI: He's been on Tom Waits records for decades, and was on that Robert Plant/Alison Krauss thing from last year.)

Ornette Coleman - Body Meta (Two fine guitarists on this record, Bern Nix and Charlie Ellerbe)

John McLaughlin - Devotion

Of course, my absolute favorite guitar disc was already mentioned:

Television - Marquee Moon

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:

James Blood Ulmer - Odyssey

44190f.jpg

Great album! I was going to mention Tales of Captain Black but thought it was probably a little too avant garde for this crowd.

44303f.jpg

--Jerome

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

What, no Hendrix?!? How's that even possible? Anyway, it's awesome to see Sonny Sharrock namechecked. That cat's playing was out of this world…I even dig his skewed pop record, Highlife, keyboards and all.

I took "guitar albums" to mean instrumental guitar albums, otherwise would gladly list Hendrix along with many others I omitted.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did forget to mention Martin Taylor, Sketches - A tribute to Tatum :

41dWrfEY2-L._SS400_.jpg

Stochelo Rosenberg, of the Rosenberg Trio is also another amazing guitarists in the gypsy/manouche jazz idiom who's playing is mind blowing.

51NBXX6AJDL._SS500_.jpg

Jerome, feel free to make more avantgarde or other recommendations, for me these threads are all about discovering new music one wouldn't otherwise become aware of.

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

I guess I was thinking rock for some reason, but I'm glad the rest of you are thinking outside of that box. On Hendrix, I'm the rare bird that prefers Axis to Electric Ladyland, so I'll mention that one.

As for Sharrock, I like Highlife, Guitar, even Ask the Ages, although I'm more of a Seize the Rainbow type myself, not that I can articulate why. I'm not sure there's a clear winner with Sharrock.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #30 of 72
Outside of the indie rock world, the following spring to mind:

Pat Metheny & Ornette Coleman - Song X
Loketo - Extra Ball (starring Diblo Dibala)
Super Rail Band - Mansa (starring Djelimady Tounkara)
Lou Reed - Blue Mask (starring Robert Quine)
Robert Cray - Strong Persuader
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (starring Eddie Hazel)

And back in the indie rock world, how could I have named Marquee Moon and Slanted & Enchanged, and left off:
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back