Favorite Classical Composer?
Mar 23, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #46 of 75
For the classical period in its strictest sense, that would be Mozart.

Considering the broader term, it's very hard to choose one. I'd say Beethoven, because he pioneered the path for the works yet to come in the 19th and even the 20th century, bacause his works both seem very accessible to the casual listener yet are still intensely rich and rewarding for the more analytic and/or experienced one.

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #47 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avoiding a preference for contemporary orchestral composers, Hector Berlioz.

Seconded
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #48 of 75
HOLST.

Gotta love The Planets.

Mar 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #52 of 75
Rachmaninov & Tchaikovsky

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #55 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With 2 complete cantata series owned, I think it has to be Bach in a mildly obsessional way.

That's a lot of music. My local library has the complete Hannsler Edition Bachakademie. It's pretty impressive seeing it on the shelves and the biggest proportion of it is the cantatas. Do you have any recomendations. I have the Hannsler 54-57 and 80-82, both of which I really enjoy.

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #56 of 75
Bach has been my hero ever since I first heard a Brandenburg concerto when I was 9. Since then I have collected his recording played in a variety of ways, from classical to jazz, etc. I never get tired of him.

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #58 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerboy47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOLST.

Gotta love The Planets.

Maybe you really mean CLASSICAL composer. In that case, Beethoven.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #59 of 75
Bach as number one for me. He is such a genius. I have many of his works,and I mean same works played by different artists.
And the other composers that I really love are Handel,Vivaldi,Gershwin,Salzedo .(harp music composer and player) and Grandjany(again harp music composer-player). I enjoy Scarlatti and Debussy much too ,beside those composers.
I like Beethoven's and Chopin's some works. I really can't say I like classical and romantic era music.
Don't get me wrong. I try to buy many different composers' cds but it is generally to enrich my musical culture and generally I find myself listening to Baroque music ,Gershwin or harp music

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #60 of 75
Mahler for the greatest composition ever: Why No. 2 of course.

Although I actually think Shostakovich's body of work is greater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back