Favorite canalphone of the moment
Dec 18, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #301 of 414
Good thing my nose is always stuffed.

ALL E2 FOAMS HAVE BEEN SENT OUT BY THE WAY!

Dec 18, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #302 of 414
Stock tips just weren't cutting it for me. At first I tried some of the Koss Plug tips. They were hard to get on, but looked nice once everything was set. After I couldn't find two of the cone shaped ones, I had to settle for their ginormous big brothers. Both the polygonal and cylindrical sets seemed to expand far to fast for me to even put them in my ear, so I gave up. Then, I found a set of some unused earplugs. Here's a shot of one next the stock JVC's.

P1010884.jpg

They felt great just in my ear, and they took a while to expand so I thought they'd be pretty good for the application. I did some poking, prodding, grinding and cutting, and here's the final product.

P1010887.jpg

P1010888.jpg

A little messy on the inside, and I might just try to make a second batch a bit more "professionally," but they feel great as they are! I'd say they cut down the bass a bit, as well as the highs, so overall they sound a bit more muffled that the stock tips, but honestly, they just feel so much better I think I'll stick with them until I find a better alternative. Hopefully this won't be too long, but I can definitely deal seeing as they are still a large upgrade from my last set of portable cans. (Jury's still out on which I like more when compared to my modded Koss Plugs. Those were really something special to me...)

Well, enjoy. Can't wait to see some other original mods!

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #303 of 414
I just wanted to update my impressions of the FX33s now that I got my E2 tips in. E2 tips are really what you need to make the FX33s live up to the hype. They cure the bloated bass and open up the highs, really making these headphone nice and balanced. E2 foamies are my absolute favorites with the FX33. They open up the highs the most, giving them sparkle that reminds me of my KSC75s, and taming the boomy bass. They are also the most comfortable tips IMO and provide the most isolation. The soft flex sleeves are my second favorite, they are a bit more bloated than the foamies, but less bloated than the Mallow tips, and provide less treble sparkle than the foamies but more than the mallows, kind of a compromise between Mallows and foamies in sound. They are relatively comfortable too, and provide better isolation than the Mallows. They're kind of nice when listening to hiphop, electronica or whenever you might want more bass than the foamies. I haven't tried the clear flex sleeves much because I find them too uncomfortable, but they are similar to the soft flex sleeves in sound.

At this point, I'm fairly certain I will not be going back to the Mallow tips with the FX33. They handicap the sound IMO and do not even fit my ears properly. At first, I thought the whole KSC75 analogy was either hyperbole or just relating to their performance relative to their price. But after listening to them with the foamies for some time, I can see where the KSC75 analogy comes from. Granted they do not provide the level of detail the KSC75 does, but they do provide nice bass, mids and sparkle in the treble like the KSC75s. Really, you haven't heard the FX33s until you've heard them with E2 foamies.

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #305 of 414
E2=E2C=E2G

They're all the same, and use all the same tips, I just call them E2 because its easier.

I really have to thank DJGeorgeT for starting the thread (I doubt I'd ever have given them a chance otherwise) and posting the instructions on using E2 tips on the FX33. I had to take some tweezers and very carefully (as not to puncture or damage the paper filter) remove the PVC tubes. However, the E2 tips didn't need to be stretched to fit afterwards, they squeezed on fine as they are. Almost as if it were meant to be.
biggrin.gif

The FX33 stock merely pleased me, FX33 with E2 foamies impresses me. I just had to go back to listening to my SR225 and KSC75 to make sure these aren't THAT good. Yeah, they don't have the detail, frequency range, etc that the SR225 and KSC75 have, of course. But they are incredibly enjoyable now. I'll put it like this, if you like KSC75s, you'll like FX33s with E2 foamies. I really feel they're that good.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #306 of 414
Whoo hoo, just picked up a pair and tested them out...

First thing I noticed = obviously the BASS! Coming from a K501 user, these things are stark contrast, providing for a fun, brainshaking listen! The only tips I have with me right now are my E4 foamies, so I'll try it with those. Are the holes for the E2 tips wider or something, because I don't even think my E4 foamies will fit without some serious sodomizing. The isolation with the stock tips are actually much better than I expected, so that's a plus.

Dec 19, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #308 of 414
Got these at Best Buy to try them out since I've never used in-ear types. Sounds pretty good for the price. Doesn't isolate all of the sound, but that doesn't bother me since I need to hear my surroundings somewhat. It feels comfy on my right ear but the not the left. I guess it's cuz of the bud/foam or something. Anybody know what size these stock buds might be? Small, medium, large? So, I'll have a better knowlegde of what to look for in the future. It seems like I'll be getting a $100 phones soon.

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #309 of 414
For some reason these sound awful with my LD2+. Otherwise I like them. Not the most comfy but they don't fall out every 2 seconds like my Sharp's do. Bass is way too prominent but I think for an earbud that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sound is in your face with makes them quite groovy and enjoyable. Anyway I'm definitely happy with them for the money. They easily compete with headphones up to $50 but no more

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #310 of 414
Anybody know of any B&M places that I could find some different E2 tips (primarily the foamies)? I think I remember someone mentioning Guitar Center having them, but I can't seem to find that post any more. Any help is appreciated!

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #311 of 414
Dec 19, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #312 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoo hoo, just picked up a pair and tested them out...

First thing I noticed = obviously the BASS! Coming from a K501 user, these things are stark contrast, providing for a fun, brainshaking listen! The only tips I have with me right now are my E4 foamies, so I'll try it with those. Are the holes for the E2 tips wider or something, because I don't even think my E4 foamies will fit without some serious sodomizing. The isolation with the stock tips are actually much better than I expected, so that's a plus.

lol, brainwashing works for me

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #313 of 414
Dec 19, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #314 of 414
Dec 19, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #315 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea how much the various E2 tips are at Guitar Center? We have a local one here about 10 minutes away and I'd rather not have to order online, pay shipping, and wait for them to arrive.

I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon--I'm planning on going there sometime tomorrow morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back