Favorite album covers or packaging
Mar 21, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #16 of 75
I also like radiohead's "Amnesiac" special packaging, the red booklet, very cool, especially that library card looks so real (at least the penciling does).

Mar 21, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #18 of 75
I like the quirky covers of The Residents:
meettherz.jpg

duckstab.jpg
(for 'Duck-Stab')
3rnr.jpg
(for 'The Third Reich 'N' Roll')

Those guys just drip with creativity so much it ain't funny and is then funny again.

Mar 21, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #19 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I also like radiohead's "Amnesiac" special packaging, the red booklet, very cool, especially that library card looks so real (at least the penciling does).

Did I miss something? Is this for a special edition or the regular edition?

... As for Kid A, I bought my regular version for $10.79 canadian; I would've bought the special edition but it was about $36 or $37 bucks. Oh well.

I also remember OK Computer to have a cool booklet, but I can't remember since someone stole my copy (everything except for the disc, which was in my cd wallet) about 5 years ago. All I remember was the album cover, and something about a lost child. At the time, I didn't even like the album, except for 'Paranoid Android' and 'Karma Police'. Oh how time has changed that! It's now in my top five albums.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 10:59 AM Post #20 of 75
Favorite Artwork/Packaging for digital is Louis Armstrong's The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings: really cool design work and just damn classy.

Favorite Analog pakaging are the early Kinks rekordings with the krazy writing on the bak kover.

(And pretty much any gatefold cover.)

sapphire,

The red book is the special edition of Amnesiac. I really dig OK Computer's artwork as well, lots of freaky stuff in there. Your edition of Kid A should have a hidden booklet behind the plastic spindle hole, pop out that plastic thing if you see a bit of red through the slots in the spindle deal (in case you didn't know already). I've seen a couple of friends' copies without it but I don't know whats up with that.

Mar 21, 2003 at 11:35 AM Post #22 of 75
I've always wanted to get a hold of the copy of

Garbage - Version 2.0 The one that has the dayglo-orange pvc bubble wrapped around the album. It's made of the same material as Shirley Manson's catsuit on the pictures inside.

Damn sexy, and Shirley Manson gives me the horn as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this makes sense. I know Gloco will probably have this
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #23 of 75
Darn. Turns out I have the regular version of Amnesiac (which I expected) and the regular version of Kid A as well. I looked behind the spindle thing, and there's nothing hidden in the inlay. The booklet must have been something to do with earlier prints, as I just bought my copy about a month ago. Ah whatever, I bought it for the music anyways.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #25 of 75
Ah, I just thought of one more:

Peace Orchestra - Peace Orchestra: Uses a real band-aid with the name of the band/artist printed on it on the front of the jewel case.

Mar 23, 2003 at 12:00 AM Post #26 of 75
The cover art on the remastered issue of ELP's
"Brain Salad Surgery" has
a holographic second image.
You see the original cover normally, but
tilt the cd and it changes to another Giger
painting. Very cool...

Mar 23, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #27 of 75
Oh, I loved King Crimson's graphic on "Three of a Perfect Pair", as well as
labelleng the album sides "left side" and "right side".

And don't forget Led Zeppelin III.

I would pay quite a bit of money
to buy the mini lp cp package ( I
love those mini LP's).

Mar 23, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #28 of 75
Venetian Snares' A Giant Alien Force More Violent and Sick Than Anything You Can Imagine is my favorite. 3" CD in a little box with a miniature slide-show viewer.

Mar 23, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #29 of 75
That sounds cool Jon! I want to get that just for the novelty (ok, for the music too). I've noticed that 3" CDs are WAY more popular in Japan, but they're pretty much non-existant here. I had always thought they would be the format for singles...

The packaging for Plasticman's Consumed is pretty slick, it really fits with the music.

My brother picked up an EP by The Dears that was one of those stamped steel case, only 500 copies (signed, available at the live shows).

I like it when they use funky materials, but paper/cardboard annoys me - it always looks ragged or dog-eared after a while, and doesn't protect the CD from being crushed by my fat arse.
smily_headphones1.gif

Though, I understand the environmental motivation to use paper in the packaging, but I really doubt that plastic jewelcases have a very big environmental footprint.

Mar 23, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #30 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
My brother picked up an EP by The Dears that was one of those stamped steel case, only 500 copies (signed, available at the live shows).

Wow, that sounds awesome. Do you happen to know if they'll be available at their upcoming shows? They're opening for a concert I'll be going to in April. What was the name of the EP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back