Favorite album covers or packaging
Mar 24, 2003 at 8:30 AM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by sapphiremodena
Darn. Turns out I have the regular version of Amnesiac (which I expected) and the regular version of Kid A as well. I looked behind the spindle thing, and there's nothing hidden in the inlay. The booklet must have been something to do with earlier prints, as I just bought my copy about a month ago. Ah whatever, I bought it for the music anyways.
smily_headphones1.gif

The ones with hidden booklet have a black spine. The transparent ones doesn't have them.

Mar 24, 2003 at 1:03 PM Post #33 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by Arzela
The cover art on the remastered issue of ELP's
"Brain Salad Surgery" has
a holographic second image.
You see the original cover normally, but
tilt the cd and it changes to another Giger
painting. Very cool...

That sounds very cool, anything with Geiger artwork is very cool.
Along the same lines, an even more clever concept, take Led Zep 4 open booklet to center graphic of Gandalf on mountain. Hold this perpindicular to mirror and when you see reflection combined with original art the two images together form serpent/monster's head...........that is cool!

The special 30th anniversary 2CD Ziggy Stardust remaster for Bowie has to set new standards for quality/completeness of a classic album reissue. It literally is a little hardbound book with 40+ pages of info and rare photos all done 1st class quality, essential.

Rolling Stones and AC/DC have very nice expanded artwork and enhanced packaging for new remasters.

Now there are plenty of wierd special packaging:
MISFITS - Coffin Box collection
KISS - Guitar Case collection
PIL - Metal Film can
SMASKING PUMPKINS - Aoerplane Flies case
ETC ETC

And many mutli-CD collections career retrospectives can have
great and very elegant packaging with large info booklet.
DEAD CAN DANCE
JOY DIVISION
TOM PETTY
COCTEAU TWINS (single box)

Mar 26, 2003 at 3:13 PM Post #34 of 75
pink floyd - pulse.

that little red LED is still going strong, since the week it was released. it's very dim, but you can see it flashing if the lights are off. i'll replace the batteries at some stage, but i want to see how long they'll last. i'm already impressed.

Mar 26, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #35 of 75
Iron Butterfly In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Rhino deluxe re-issue CD. This has an outer paper box with an oval window that shows the big butterfly and when you move it the butterfly moves. Take the jewel case out and see that it's a picture of the band on stage and they are rockin when you tilt the case. Also a thick booklet is included with lots of old photos and a bio of the band.

I used to have an lp of Sweet-Give us a Wink that had a sliding insert that made the eye wink.

One more that I am impressed with.
Old Mans Child-In Defiance of Existance. This is a digipak but it has a pull out for the cd. You can only pull it out about half way and unfold the half length foldover and there is half of the cd showing. Remove the cd and you see that it was sitting on a cardboard piece that is the same size as the cd and there is booklet underneath. All the colors are dark browns and blacks and greys except of the foldover that holds the cd in place it's two guys in white with vivid red blood and then the cd is red. Quite a contrast to the dark muted colors everywhere else.

Mar 26, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #36 of 75
evil-zen, I 've never seen a kid a with a transparent spine, the original cd I bought has the black spine but no booklet, it is a later issue, the one that has the booklet is from japan and is a first pressing.

Mar 26, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
I've always wanted to get a hold of the copy of

Garbage - Version 2.0 The one that has the dayglo-orange pvc bubble wrapped around the album. It's made of the same material as Shirley Manson's catsuit on the pictures inside.

Damn sexy, and Shirley Manson gives me the horn as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this makes sense. I know Gloco will probably have this
biggrin.gif

DAMN! No i don't! Dustychalk? You reading this? MMMM...MMMM...Shirley in a catsuit...why did she ever go bleach blond...i hate that look. Shirley, wear a skirt...pleaseeeee
very_evil_smiley.gif

Uh...Hi y'all
redface.gif

Mar 27, 2003 at 7:33 AM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
evil-zen, I 've never seen a kid a with a transparent spine, the original cd I bought has the black spine but no booklet, it is a later issue, the one that has the booklet is from japan and is a first pressing.

Ditto: Black spine, no booklet, later print.

Mar 27, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #40 of 75
Some of my favorite CD/LP packaging:

7" single where the sleeve can be folded into the shape of a plane

CD encased in plaster of paris it's about 12" square

LP Pulse Programming which can be made into a little house

3" CD by Venetian Snares which comes with a little viewer shaped like a TV where you can view slides by pressing a button on the top.

several hand printed 7" singles

12" single (can't remember who it's by!) on pink vinyl with a pair of underpants!!

12" Dinosaur Junior single with engraving on one side

I've also got quite a few picture and coloured discs

CD in a little wooden case with a felt mat to protect the CD.The two halves are jointed together by wooden pegs.

Apr 18, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
Yeah, it was at the recent show in Toronto, so look out for it...
I'm not certain what the EP was titled.. maybe it was"Protection"

Oh, was it the Protest EP? I'll look out for it tomorrow night.

Apr 19, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #42 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
I like the quirky covers of The Residents:

yay! I love The Residents! All of their covers are quite fun, and sometimes a bit disturbing (The cover for "Baby Sex" is a prime example of this).

I've always been a fan of the covers Peter Saville designed at Factory records...

"True Faith" by New Order:
new-order-true-faith.jpg

"Getting Away With It" by Electronic:
fac-257.jpg

"Closer" by Joy Division:
facd025_f.jpg

biggrin.gif

Arigato,
Brook

Apr 19, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #43 of 75
how about the REM automatic for the people wooden box issue, I have one, pretty cool, the cd is different from the regular issue in that it's blank yellow, but there are some kind of plastic type pictures inside as well.

Apr 20, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
DAMN! No i don't! Dustychalk? You reading this? MMMM...MMMM...Shirley in a catsuit...why did she ever go bleach blond...i hate that look. Shirley, wear a skirt...pleaseeeee
very_evil_smiley.gif

Uh...Hi y'all
redface.gif

Yes, I was reading this; no, I don't have it (nor have I ever heard of it); PS It's "Dusty" or "Mr. Chalk", not "Dustychalk". Don't make me send you a horse's head.
wink.gif

A couple of my favourites:

anything by Dave McKean or Eric Dinyer
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Afghan Whigs - Gentleman
packaging: anything by 5ive or on Constellation Records
The booklet ones, such as Spock's Beard, O.S.I., Transatlantic, etc. special editions.
Rubinstein reissues. Quote:

Originally posted by lethoso
dimmu borgir - spiritual black dimension
the sins of thy beloved - lake of sorrow

both very nice album covers imo
smily_headphones1.gif

You just like anything with boobies. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Do a search on "Breast Brigade" and "Napalm Records".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back