FatFreq Maestro SE - The King of Top of the Line Bass?
Feb 5, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #541 of 633
@w3eonline Actually, the Elysian Diva might be an alternative within the price range. At max bass setting, it is still a subbass monster, although it won't have the same quality of bass (or midbass) as the MSE. However, mids on the Diva are among the best I've heard esp at the price range. In fact, I find the Diva's vocals too close for me, but you might like it. It has good treble too, a little tamer than MSE/GM. A little power hungry too.

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #542 of 633
Thanks for all the description and compares guys. Seems like im more onto MSE wow factor on the low and high but still want a more closer vocal that MSE lack off (since its a V shape). Im also a sibilance and treble sensitive.
Also that MSE requires lots of power to bring out the potential than the mest mkiii or indigo right?

Or Are there any other iem recommendation near the price range?
With EQ i would rate the MSE a little higher but MEST is more generalist i believe. Frankly the vocals are very neat on the MSE too, you just have to crank up the level a bit more to enjoy them if you are into that a lot, and it's particularly the females vocals taking the back seats the most. It's also a matter of preference, like the soundstage, technically the MEST is more spacious but i often find myself prefering the MSE and it can get on occasion some depth out of nowhere on a particular track (very surprising all of a sudden). While it's the normal thing with the MEST, it can get a bit distracting and make you loose focus of the rest.

The Maestro is significantly harder to drive. To give a scale, say the MEST plays loud enough at -20, i need about -10 for a similar level on the MSE, and would be at -25 for the Xenns (an easy to drive tribrid)

I think you need a serious dap at least to drive the MSE. I tried it on my phone with the apple dongle for funsies, it was grainy, bloated, no more bass and of course run out of juice to play loud. Back on the Singxer it's the Demogorgon of bass.
High frequency percussions and their harmonics can indeed be an issue on some tracks if you are sensitive to it. You can tone that down a bit with different eartips though. Still easily fixable with a EQ notch.

Personally the next thing i want to try out is the Canpur, im very curious to see how the bass plays out with only a BA array and if the hype is justified in this regard (hard to believe it's more tactile than the MSE). This is however x2 the price...

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #543 of 633
With EQ i would rate the MSE a little higher but MEST is more generalist i believe. Frankly the vocals are very neat on the MSE too, you just have to crank up the level a bit more to enjoy them if you are into that a lot, and it's particularly the females vocals taking the back seats the most. It's also a matter of preference, like the soundstage, technically the MEST is more spacious but i often find myself prefering the MSE and it can get on occasion some depth out of nowhere on a particular track (very surprising all of a sudden). While it's the normal thing with the MEST, it can get a bit distracting and make you loose focus of the rest.
Somehow i just saw that theres also a recommend on Madoo 512 that possibly can fulfil my need of low ,vocal,high at least on the price range. But on the graph for the low its not wowing as the bravado mkii.

And im a no EQ guy cuz i dont really understand it (might be lazy too). but yeah perhaps i need to learn how to EQ since on the price range its hard to find a no EQ to go sound as what i wanted.

Since theres not much review i can get on madoo 512 and i kinda dislike mmcx. Still searching... Read some of Fir Radon6 but yeah it jump on the price higher.

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #544 of 633
You could just EQ to emphasize vocals if you need to. GM is more convenient if you don't want to learn how to use a PEQ or deal with the lack of venting.

IMO there isn't really a problem with either male or female vocals, it's just the spicy lower treble threatening sibilance sometimes. You can low shelf down 300 and below if the bass really becomes a problem (coming from bravado, I think you'll be fine) and high shelf down from 4.2k if the sizzle becomes too much. Of course you may vary from this, no one really knows what your pinna gain response is here, and it's difficult to judge because no one has measured both the bravado mk2 and the MSE/Mest mk3.

They are also quite hungry. My V60 needs to be in aux mode to be powered adequately. 94dB sensitivity is pretty brutal.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #545 of 633
Personally the next thing i want to try out is the Canpur, im very curious to see how the bass plays out with only a BA array and if the hype is justified in this regard (hard to believe it's more tactile than the MSE). This is however x2 the price...
I'm interested in the 622B because of the BC drivers, BA bass' biggest weakness is the lack of infrasonic extension. In the QDC V14, the bass is amongst the most precise implementations of low end I've ever heard (neck to neck with electrostatics for precision), but compared to the MSE, when EQed to be the same, it extends only down to 10Hz when the MSE generates air movement all the way down to 4Hz using a tone generator. The experience is... more clinical, for lack of a better term.

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #546 of 633
Somehow i just saw that theres also a recommend on Madoo 512 that possibly can fulfil my need of low ,vocal,high at least on the price range. But on the graph for the low its not wowing as the bravado mkii.

And im a no EQ guy cuz i dont really understand it (might be lazy too). but yeah perhaps i need to learn how to EQ since on the price range its hard to find a no EQ to go sound as what i wanted.

Since theres not much review i can get on madoo 512 and i kinda dislike mmcx. Still searching... Read some of Fir Radon6 but yeah it jump on the price higher.

There's the GM but personally i would rather make an EQ or even several presets, pressing a button on desktop depending on the mood, than hitting constantly a switch on the shell or swapping modules for the bass response, plus the fact you ll never get exactly what you want. That's why i didn't go with the GM, but i can see the appeal too.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #547 of 633
I highly suggest you spend the effort to learn your way around a PEQ, especially if you are going to be dropping 2 grand on IEMs, not to mention a source capable of driving them.

If you do all your homework, you may drop accidentally on an IEM that matches your preferences perfectly, but the chances of that happening are infinitesimal given how subjective the process of tuning an IEM is. You could go on an eternal quest to find The One True IEM or whatever and end up dropping significant money down a hole without ever finding it.

Learning how to EQ is not simple, but it's a tiny drop in the bucket (couple of bucks to get a decent software PEQ) to get the power to fine tune an IEM to fit you just right. If you were playing around in the entry level or whatever I wouldn't be pushing this hard, but you are talking about dropping a not insignificant amount of money here.

If you want to get started learning how to use EQ, plenty of members here can help you out. I want to help you get what you want and enjoy what you have, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #548 of 633
I managed to demo it at Zeppelin the other day, and my thoughts on it were lukewarm.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good set. The mids were natural and vocals sound smooth, treble extension was nice without ever being sibilant in all my tracks and the bass is good all around. However, the signature was a bit too safe for my liking, and overall the Canpur sounded like something I could find in other IEMs for way cheaper.

Compared to the Grand Maestro, it just doesn't have that wow factor for me, and for its price that's worse for me (4.9k SGD for universal last I checked on Zeppelin's website).

Maybe I need more time for the Canpur to truly grow on me, but as of now, first impressions were not the greatest considering how HBB was hyping it up.

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #549 of 633
Of course, I still recommend anyone to demo it if you have the chance to formulate your opinions here. I'm very interested to hear what you guys think of it and how it compares to GM or MSE even. Plus, there are still tips, cable and source pairings to consider as well that could drastically alter your experience with the Canpur 622B.

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #550 of 633
I highly suggest you spend the effort to learn your way around a PEQ, especially if you are going to be dropping 2 grand on IEMs, not to mention a source capable of driving them.

If you do all your homework, you may drop accidentally on an IEM that matches your preferences perfectly, but the chances of that happening are infinitesimal given how subjective the process of tuning an IEM is. You could go on an eternal quest to find The One True IEM or whatever and end up dropping significant money down a hole without ever finding it.

Learning how to EQ is not simple, but it's a tiny drop in the bucket (couple of bucks to get a decent software PEQ) to get the power to fine tune an IEM to fit you just right. If you were playing around in the entry level or whatever I wouldn't be pushing this hard, but you are talking about dropping a not insignificant amount of money here.

If you want to get started learning how to use EQ, plenty of members here can help you out. I want to help you get what you want and enjoy what you have, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Yeah and in my opinion, EQ actually makes more sense on very high end iem, because chances are the general technicalities are gonna be on point to begin with, so you are not doing very complicated things and just adjusting the last bits to your liking. Trying to EQ cheap and poorly designed sets is pointless, it's not gonna fix the fundamental accoustic deficiencies and time domain related issues. You can only go so far as what the driver(s) are capable.

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #551 of 633
Of course, I still recommend anyone to demo it if you have the chance to formulate your opinions here. I'm very interested to hear what you guys think of it and how it compares to GM or MSE even. Plus, there are still tips, cable and source pairings to consider as well that could drastically alter your experience with the Canpur 622B.
The only reason I could think of HBB putting the 622B above the GM or MSE is the bone conduction drivers, I'm mostly curious if the BC drivers there are doing something magical others haven't done already. I already get some vibration from the MSE's bass, so those BCs got to be something special.

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #552 of 633
I managed to demo it at Zeppelin the other day, and my thoughts on it were lukewarm.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good set. The mids were natural and vocals sound smooth, treble extension was nice without ever being sibilant in all my tracks and the bass is good all around. However, the signature was a bit too safe for my liking, and overall the Canpur sounded like something I could find in other IEMs for way cheaper.

Compared to the Grand Maestro, it just doesn't have that wow factor for me, and for its price that's worse for me (4.9k SGD for universal last I checked on Zeppelin's website).

Maybe I need more time for the Canpur to truly grow on me, but as of now, first impressions were not the greatest considering how HBB was hyping it up.

Interesting. Compared to the Maestro, how did you perceive the canpur in the bass? As far as quantity, quality and meshing with the rest.

Also are vocals more forward, what about the perception of soundstage? (sorry lots of questions about this set, i was that close to take a blind dip the other day...)

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #553 of 633
Interesting. Compared to the Maestro, how did you perceive the canpur in the bass? As far as quantity, quality and meshing with the rest.

Also are vocals more forward, what about the perception of soundstage? (sorry lots of questions about this set, i was that close to take a blind dip the other day...)
In terms of bass, Canpur's is definitely on the tamer, leaning more towards sub-bass. The mid bass has sufficient slam when needed, but you're definitely not gonna get GM levels of bass here. I would say the quality of the bass is there but not the quantity like the GM.

Vocals are natural and quite smooth, though they tend to take a backstage a bit sort of like the GM with the vocal switch off. Soundstage to me is on par with GM, though due to the tuning sounding quite neutral, the Canpur sounds slightly more open than the GM, though this was based of my memory of demoing the GM the day before I tried the Canpur.

Hope this helps :)

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #554 of 633
The only reason I could think of HBB putting the 622B above the GM or MSE is the bone conduction drivers, I'm mostly curious if the BC drivers there are doing something magical others haven't done already. I already get some vibration from the MSE's bass, so those BCs got to be something special.
I thought the bass on the Canpur would be more visceral than the GM with those bone-conduction drivers, but the bass turned out to be more tamed than I expected, and definitely nowhere near Maestro levels of bass. The sub bass doesn't rumble much, and the mid-bass isn't as dynamic as I wanted it to be. There could be a number of factors to why my experience was so, hopefully you'll have a better experience with the Canpur than me in the future.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #555 of 633
I thought the bass on the Canpur would be more visceral than the GM with those bone-conduction drivers, but the bass turned out to be more tamed than I expected, and definitely nowhere near Maestro levels of bass. The sub bass doesn't rumble much, and the mid-bass isn't as dynamic as I wanted it to be. There could be a number of factors to why my experience was so, hopefully you'll have a better experience with the Canpur than me in the future.
Neither the BC or BA drivers in the Canpur move anywhere near the amount of air that the single dynamic driver in MSE or GM can. As good as some of the best BA bass can be, it'll never have the physical, visceral drive of good dynamic driver bass, and in my opinion, great bass must have that physical element to it. Simple physics I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back