FatFreq Maestro SE - The King of Top of the Line Bass?
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #511 of 635
I last heard the Variations 1.5 years ago, so memory is vague. But funnily enough, I didn't particularly liked it either. I would say that I'm midbass sensitive in the sense that i am sensitive not just to too much of it (overly boomy music makes me anxious), but also sensitive to too little of it (too little makes the bass punch lack meat). I think that for me, my acceptable midbass range is much narrower than most people. It has to be within a perfect range, not too little and not too much. And I would say MMK2 is within that range, albeit on the lower end, while Variations has too much dip (it glides well but ends lower than the lower mids, which is a no-no for me). MSE is a little over that range, while GM is tastefully on the higher end of that range (from memory). I think it's also because the GM's subbass elevation is so high that is masks the midbass and balances it. The Diva's max-bass setting shelf is actually closer to my bass preference, but unfortunately the Diva's bass quality is just not refined. The Elysian X's bass glide is another example of my preference!

I think if you go to HBB's squiglink and compare GM, Elysian X, and MMK3, you'll see that the bass glide shape of the GM and Elysian X is similar, but the GM's is elevated in a balanced way from midbass all the way to subbass. By contrast, the MMK3 doesn't follow that shape. It's subbass is roughly similar to Elysian X, but midbass gets abit too much, ruining the ratio. The odd one out for me would be the Z1R. I think its bass presentation is spectacular, despite looking more midbass focused. Yet I hear the subbass extend all the way. Graphs probably don't tell everything.
I see what you're talking about. I'm dropping the response around the 200Hz mark by 2dB on the MSE to bring out the mids in the mix, so I get that.

I hear you on FR graphs not showing the whole picture. The MSE has become so addicting to me due to the great infrasonic rumbling it generates, FR graphs just don't show that. Unlike some more zealous graph readers out in the interwebs, I'll reserve judgement on IEMs that graph weird until I get ears on it, sometimes there's more to the story.
Yeah the universal for MSE/GM fits me like a custom, but when buying my GM i wanted to customize my faceplates with my signature on it, so figured why not just go full CIEM since my signature on the faceplate is gonna tank the resale value anyways. Also, I found GM's 8khz a little sharp (like MSE's), so I think CIEM's slightly deeper fit will hopefully smoothen the treble just enough for me.
Yeah, that 8k peak is intentional (I think?), but I still dropped that cause top hats and cymbal hits were threatening to ring unpleasantly.

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #512 of 635
I see what you're talking about. I'm dropping the response around the 200Hz mark by 2dB on the MSE to bring out the mids in the mix, so I get that.

I hear you on FR graphs not showing the whole picture. The MSE has become so addicting to me due to the great infrasonic rumbling it generates, FR graphs just don't show that. Unlike some more zealous graph readers out in the interwebs, I'll reserve judgement on IEMs that graph weird until I get ears on it, sometimes there's more to the story.

Yeah, that 8k peak is intentional (I think?), but I still dropped that cause top hats and cymbal hits were threatening to ring unpleasantly.
Yeah, I notice that when I play around with EQ (especially for TWS for gym), I tend to crank my bass up at between ~30-90hz ish, not much more than that. I usually leave stuff above 120hz untouched or even reduced a little (depending on default bass profile). And I usually even dip the ~250hz a little since most TWS have notorious bass-bleed. So if we're talking about fun bass preference, I definitely prefer an aggresive subbass to midbass glide. MSE's bass is just a tad too much for me overall. GM is at the higher end of that perfect range.

On the topic of bass. Try to compare the graphs of the bass volume drop and the change in bass glide shape between the various GM modules with vocal off and on. Whenever FF releases their Superpower module (with apparently bigger bass shelf than MSE), I'm looking forward to trying that *with vocal switch on* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I suspect it'll end up being somewhere in the middle of the Black module vocal on/off shelves, and if it does, that will hit my perfect bass profile)

I read somewhere the 8k peak is intentional to balance out the subbass (which is a design choice i agree with). Yeah it's a little too much but apparently those who have the GM/MSE in custom form don't have that 8k peak anymore.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #513 of 635
Yeah, I notice that when I play around with EQ (especially for TWS for gym), I tend to crank my bass up at between ~30-90hz ish, not much more than that. I usually leave stuff above 120hz untouched or even reduced a little (depending on default bass profile). And I usually even dip the ~250hz a little. So if we're talking about fun bass preference, I definitely prefer an aggresive subbass to midbass glide. MSE's bass is just a tad too much for me overall. GM is at the higher end of that perfect range.

On the topic of bass. Try to compare the graphs of the bass volume drop and the change in bass glide shape between the various GM modules with vocal off and on. Whenever FF releases their Superpower module (with apparently bigger bass shelf than MSE), I'm looking forward to trying that *with vocal switch on* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I suspect it'll end up being somewhere in the middle of the Black module vocal on/off shelves, and if it does, that will hit my perfect bass profile)

I read somewhere the 8k peak is intentional to balance out the subbass (which is a design choice i agree with). Yeah it's a little too much but apparently those who have the GM/MSE in custom form don't have that 8k peak anymore.
The GM's blue 1 and 2 are reminiscent of the diffuse field target response, and I got a beyerdynamic vibe to the tuning which would work well with classical and jazz. I haven't heard of that superpower module before, that sounds wild lol. Maybe they're planning on a scarlet like bass shelf?

Well, seems like there's more reason to get custom sooner.

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #514 of 635
The GM's blue 1 and 2 are reminiscent of the diffuse field target response, and I got a beyerdynamic vibe to the tuning which would work well with classical and jazz. I haven't heard of that superpower module before, that sounds wild lol. Maybe they're planning on a scarlet like bass shelf?
I emailed FF a couple months ago about their "ultra bass module" (which they are now calling the Superpower module, and I already paid for it as an add-on despite not having my GM yet 😄).

Screenshot_20240118-160244~2.jpg

Here was what they told me:
Screenshot_20230825-1708423.jpg

Clearly, 2023 went by and they haven't released it yet. Obviously due to backlog. I'm sure they'll release it this year....hopefully. But yes it's in the works. And if u check their GM product page, you will see 4 module colours. We already have 2 (black and blue) but there's still gold and pink. I think they're leaning towards gold being the superpower module (hopefully, cuz pink colour and "superpower" doesn't sound like they go together, sorry). And I think Pink will be a "SuperControl module", but don't quote FF on that, that's just me speculating.

Probably a bass shelf like the Scarlet! Maybe the Scarlet came to fruition while doing R&D for the Superpower modules. Who knows?

Once the Superpower module is released, I don't see any reason for anyone to get the MSE other than if they're tight on budget. But then IMO just save up more lol. The GM's versatility will only increase with the other 2 modules.

Well, seems like there's more reason to get custom sooner.
Yup! 😄

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #521 of 635
Did you compared GM and Loki head to head?
No, where I live I can only try "chifi" if I buy them or a friend buys them ....and I only have two friends into this stuff..or two friends in general:))))
I was very lucky to win the Loki in a giveaway ...been thinking of what to do since: keep, buy, trade.
Now I am thinking I would only trade with something very similar in price, so it would be fair and easy....and I am very courius about the GM... that's all.

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #522 of 635
No, where I live I can only try "chifi" if I buy them or a friend buys them ....and I only have two friends into this stuff..or two friends in general:))))
I was very lucky to win the Loki in a giveaway ...been thinking of what to do since: keep, buy, trade.
Now I am thinking I would only trade with something very similar in price, so it would be fair and easy....and I am very courius about the GM... that's all.
Wow! Congrat! HBB? 😁
From what I've heard from friends who have GM, they are not as lively as Loki.

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #524 of 635
Wow! Congrat! HBB? 😁
From what I've heard from friends who have GM, they are not as lively as Loki.
Yes HBB ....as I said was very lucky, if you have been following him, because of a few guys being assholes and complaining about import taxes, he is moving giving away $500+ stuff to patron... anyway, this is not important.
Funny thing is that I had orded M MKIII just two days before he posted the video with my win. I also kept the Monarchs:))).....1000, maybe 1500 with a stretch was the most I would spend.

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #525 of 635
@ewacchau
Ok, if you are unsatisfied with the technical performance of the mids and treble of the Mini and it's impacting your enjoyment, the MSE/GM are endgame level. I haven't heard them choke on anything in my library yet (modern & classic metal, house, D&B, orchestral soundtracks, classical, jazz, etc).

Is it worth it? You have to decide how much you want the subbass extension combined with the technical chops and whether the FR matches your target curve closely enough. If your gain region peaks at 3kHz, these do a good job, otherwise they will be shouty (if you peak at 2kHz for instance).

There are some more extreme bass IEMs out there (brahmastra anyone? Lol), but these have great balance across the spectrum, not much out there that has good tonality + slam like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back