FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Mar 22, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #468 of 1,960
Ok. I just ordered the mini (the se wasn't the best fit)

Here's some info on the mini mk2 from fatfrequency.

🙂

Attachments

• 35C20F4B-73A0-41D4-A281-E9B1FC5E4623.jpeg
    35C20F4B-73A0-41D4-A281-E9B1FC5E4623.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #469 of 1,960
Ok. I just ordered the mini (the se wasn't the best fit)

Here's some info on the mini mk2 from fatfrequency.

🙂
now the question is whether that "different price point" is more or less than the current one...

my bets are on it being cheaper, since most of the hype is on their maestro series and not on their other iems

Mar 22, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #470 of 1,960
Impressions done for Grand Maestro yesterday! Ben and Ivan were wonderful.

33538DF8-44AF-4192-BA4C-F66C60D58ABB.jpeg

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #471 of 1,960
Mar 24, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #472 of 1,960
On the market for the MMmk2, as long as they keep 80% of the OG’s DNA (from my very own subjective perspective) and don’t lose their « soul » along the road. A tad more midbass would be welcome, but hey, let’s see and hear what the future brings😎

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #473 of 1,960
Tested Grand Maestros today. Worried about the fitting of universal, but decided to get a pair anyways.
It is nicely balanced with the switch bringing the mids forward. If turned off, there is a significant dip in the mids. Some might like it, some don't.
Great service by team and looking forward to receive the Grands soon.

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #474 of 1,960
Tried the mini v2 today. I should note that I was told that what I was listening to is not the final product. They seemed pretty interested to hear what I thought and they are still working on the final tuning. It seems to be a response to those who felt that the bass shelf on the v1 was a little too narrow and that a bit of boost to the midbass was desirable.

They definitely succeeded in that aspect, but while I am one of those who felt a bit more midbass in the v1 would have been nice, I do feel that they overcorrected a bit too much in the prototype. To illustrate, I'll refer to a couple of my favourite bass test tracks.

Drezo - Night​

In this track, the bass mainly consists of individual beats. For this song, the v2 is a lot of fun and comes across as a lot more punchy compared to the v1.

Reso Holograms​

In this track, at around minute 3 ,the bass consists of a lot of rumble and sutained sub bass notes and sweeps. This is where I feel the v2 prototype falls a little short. The sustained notes become overblown and the bass texture gets lost.

I just want to reiterate again that these are floor impressions of a prototype and they were very keen to gather feedback, so please don't get discouraged by my impressions above if you were looking forward to the v2. Personally, I'm going to wait until they announce that they've finalized the tuning and then I'll go audition it again to decide on whether to get it. If they can get it to that sweet spot between the v1 and current prototype, it could very well ending up being my dream bass iem.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #475 of 1,960
Tried the mini v2 today. I should note that I was told that what I was listening to is not the final product. They seemed pretty interested to hear what I thought and they are still working on the final tuning. It seems to be a response to those who felt that the bass shelf on the v1 was a little too narrow and that a bit of boost to the midbass was desirable.

They definitely succeeded in that aspect, but while I am one of those who felt a bit more midbass in the v1 would have been nice, I do feel that they overcorrected a bit too much in the prototype. To illustrate, I'll refer to a couple of my favourite bass test tracks.

Drezo - Night​

In this track, the bass mainly consists of individual beats. For this song, the v2 is a lot of fun and comes across as a lot more punchy compared to the v1.

Reso Holograms​

In this track, at around minute 3 ,the bass consists of a lot of rumble and sutained sub bass notes and sweeps. This is where I feel the v2 prototype falls a little short. The sustained notes become overblown and the bass texture gets lost.

I just want to reiterate again that these are floor impressions of a prototype and they were very keen to gather feedback, so please don't get discouraged by my impressions above if you were looking forward to the v2. Personally, I'm going to wait until they announce that they've finalized the tuning and then I'll go audition it again to decide on whether to get it. If they can get it to that sweet spot between the v1 and current prototype, it could very well ending up being my dream bass iem.

It's great they are listening to feedback and making a slightly different offering compared to V1. More midbass is nice but imo also turns it into a dedicated basshead IEM whereas the V1 had imo worked well as an all rounder due to the sub bass focus not bleeding into the mids

Mar 25, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #476 of 1,960
Nice early info from Canjam SG. Ian Fann did a nice comprehensive tour of the show that started with an interview with Aaron from Fatfreq (starts at 3:54, should link direct):

Apparently there is no Mini 2, instead they will have the 'Scarlet Mini' which will coexist with the Maestro. It has 'more punch and less rumble' in the bass tonality compared to the Maestro Mini.

I like the Mini already, so it's probably good they aren't doing away with it so quickly - Interested to learn more about the Scarlet as things ramp up!

Mar 25, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #477 of 1,960
@Sebastien Chiu

Maestro mini v2 is scarlet mini? or i misunderstood xd
Mini v2 should have more rumble than mini 1 from what i saw on graph?

Mar 25, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #479 of 1,960

Users who are viewing this thread

Back