FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #408 of 2,017
Gentleman, for those of you who own the Maestro Mini without the mesh grill on the nozzle opening, I can safely recommend the Azla SednaEarfit Max tips for a viable solution. I ordered the M size (I have small ear canals according to a physician fyi) and they fit great, very comfortable and the sound characteristics of the Minis are largely unchanged. Skull shaking bass is still present, warm mids and vocals are also in for class, with the treble area sounding maybe a touch and I mean, a touch more ‘blunted’? But this might be placebo. Admittedly I had the expectation of the treble being effected due to that small wax-guard, so it could be my mind playing tricks on me. Regardless, definitely a good choice if you’re not into waiting 2 months for mesh grills from AE (if you’re in the US) 👍

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #409 of 2,017
Have been so pleased with the AET07 on my MSE, decided to try out their next gen version(s):

20230219_120037.jpg

Will let my fellow Maestro Tipsters know how it goes!

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #410 of 2,017
Guys for some one who listens to the TH900 (more fun) and TH909 (balanced fun), will the Fatfreq Maestro Mini be able to provide the same sound in a portable form?

I would prefer a thick deep tight punchy yet detailed bass that does not obscures the sound into a bloat and has the mids and treble that sound correct.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #411 of 2,017
Have been so pleased with the AET07 on my MSE, decided to try out their next gen version(s):

Will let my fellow Maestro Tipsters know how it goes!
Interesting … where’s the best place to get a hold of these in your experience? (That is, if you’re in the US.)

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #413 of 2,017
Guys for some one who listens to the TH900 (more fun) and TH909 (balanced fun), will the Fatfreq Maestro Mini be able to provide the same sound in a portable form?

I would prefer a thick deep tight punchy yet detailed bass that does not obscures the sound into a bloat and has the mids and treble that sound correct.
It's always nice to run into a fellow Fostex enjoyer. The 909 in particular doesn't get nearly enough love. I have a 909, 900, 900AE and some others... I don't think it is any coincidence that I also obviously love Fatfreq for IEMs.

I think you would be very happy with the mini's sound!

Interesting … where’s the best place to get a hold of these in your experience? (That is, if you’re in the US.)
MTMaudio is the only source I've found stateside, if anyone knows of others I'd love to find out too.

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #414 of 2,017
It's always nice to run into a fellow Fostex enjoyer. The 909 in particular doesn't get nearly enough love. I have a 909, 900, 900AE and some others... I don't think it is any coincidence that I also obviously love Fatfreq for IEMs.

I think you would be very happy with the mini's sound!

MTMaudio is the only source I've found stateside, if anyone knows of others I'd love to find out too.

Thats actually my rhetoric when I discuss something in the Audiophile world - the 909s don't get the love they actually deserve. Lol ..
909s are seriously an underrated headphone. For me they are like a super charged fun neutralish tuning. 900s are a beast for bass, how much bass - YES!

So coming from a fellow Fostex listener that the FatFreq Mini should serve well is cool to know.
Thanks bud.

I was also looking at the IE600 but some users report it to be rather soft in the bass department contrary to the FQ graphs.

Any other IEMs that you have experience with that sound like the Fostex. Bass quantity and quality with balanced mids and treble.

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #415 of 2,017
Thats actually my rhetoric when I discuss something in the Audiophile world - the 909s don't get the love they actually deserve. Lol ..
909s are seriously an underrated headphone. For me they are like a super charged fun neutralish tuning. 900s are a beast for bass, how much bass - YES!

So coming from a fellow Fostex listener that the FatFreq Mini should serve well is cool to know.
Thanks bud.

I was also looking at the IE600 but some users report it to be rather soft in the bass department contrary to the FQ graphs.

Any other IEMs that you have experience with that sound like the Fostex. Bass quantity and quality with balanced mids and treble.
The 900's are a V tuning whereas the Maestro's are more U, quite flat around 500 Hz. The EE Evo is a very nice take on V tuning and while it doesn't have as much sub bass as the Maestro's, it does have a bit more upper bass warmth that is in line with the Fostex' sound (and still, critically, packs a heck of a punch). Their upper mids are however quite different than Fostex' generally and the treble is certainly less extended than the Biodyna's and Maestro's.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #416 of 2,017

Perhaps you will find more similarity with the TH900 in a veteran IEM: the Xelento.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #417 of 2,017
They are definitely bass head IEMs but they're so well controlled that for some people maybe they'd miss the bigger mid bass from something like Legend X? I personally prefer the Maestro SE bass over any other "bass head" territory IEM I have heard. It's so damn addicting.

IMG_3567.jpg
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm curious to get a listen of the Legend X as I already think MSE has plenty of bass to keep the head going and to think there's one out there with more mid bass? Very curious to hear how it affects the rest of the frequencies especially when one or two people has called the legend X as the bass king over the MSE.

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #418 of 2,017
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm curious to get a listen of the Legend X as I already think MSE has plenty of bass to keep the head going and to think there's one out there with more mid bass? Very curious to hear how it affects the rest of the frequencies especially when one or two people has called the legend X as the bass king over the MSE.
There are many IEMs with more mid-bass than MSE, not only the Legend X (Xelento, Hifiman RE2000, the 3 new FiR, CA Trifecta, VE BIE, most of the EE lineup...)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #420 of 2,017
I'm beginning to see the light!

IMG_2520.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back