FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Feb 11, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #376 of 2,059
Guys, buy this cheap $15 yet excellent cable for your maestro Mini and thank me later.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JV7SK3T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It's pure copper strands running to the (+) terminal of the IEM & Silver-plated copper running to the (-) Negative terminal on each channel. Makes for more visceral BASS and very clear mids and treble. This little cable is actually made of quality wires (4 core only though). Smoked a quality $100 silver plated cable I just bought from Audio64 online store.

Used it on the Monarch and it actually improved the sound lol.

Got this idea from QDC and the way they always use this combination to give their IEMs a clear yet more spherical sound field.

Even tested on my OG Sony Discman model D-838K which has the beloved Burr-Brown DAC (PCM67U) + enough power to run Monarch at just volume 4 out of 10

On the Discman, it's like I'm at the venue.

Side Note: PCM67U combines a conventional thin-film R-2R ladder DAC and an advanced one-bit DAC which helps the DAC attain high resolution, minimal glitches, and low zero-crossing distortion. You can snatch a Discman on eBay with this DAC for $35. models like D-M805, D-808K and D-303 also use this DAC.

You won't believe the sound you get for $35. I feel like Modern DAPs are ripping me off now lol. The limitation is the number of FLAC files you can burn to a CD-R (They don't read CD-RW) but the sound is so wide, open, very analog, and musical. Turn on MEGABASS to turn it into a party.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #377 of 2,059
I've held myself back from buying a Maestro Mini because the graphs I see I'm afraid it is going to be intense in the upper mids area, and I'm quite sensitive in that area...

I only listen to prog and metal, and that ruins the IEM experience for me. I've already had to discard many for that reason.

I don't know if I was wrong with the Mini or not. At the graphic level it is at least what it seems...
I would say you have nothing to worry about. I am sensitive to the 3k region as well and the ample warmth and bass from the Mini balances the sound out nicely. The treble comes off as a touch dark I'd say even. I'd say, buy with confidence.

Agree here - I've been putting the Maestro Mini through its bases, and that section of the graph doesn't really come off as presently during listening.

I think you will be fine long term. As @domq422 said, the bass and overall warmth level out that area of the sound nicely, resulting in a full experience.

Yes, also noting, the treble does come off as a little dark because of the rest of the signature.

The Maestro Mini belong to my top 3 at the moment. With just a bit of EQ in the 4khz and 8khz regions, these are magical sounding. Brain burn-in maybe, but I am not « hearing » the somewhat lack of midbass anymore as I did before. I don’t even EQ this region anymore.

Add a potent and high quality source into the mix and your basshead’s needs are satisfied 🔊

B28C82E4-AA6D-428B-B2E4-E28AFD0BB8ED.jpeg

Yes, definitely needs a high quality and high power source to get the most out of the MSE (and the Mini as well since it does well with more power).

Guys, buy this cheap $15 yet excellent cable for your maestro Mini and thank me later.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JV7SK3T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It's pure copper strands running to the (+) terminal of the IEM & Silver-plated copper running to the (-) Negative terminal on each channel. Makes for more visceral BASS and very clear mids and treble. This little cable is actually made of quality wires (4 core only though). Smoked a quality $100 silver plated cable I just bought from Audio64 online store.

Used it on the Monarch and it actually improved the sound lol.

Got this idea from QDC and the way they always use this combination to give their IEMs a clear yet more spherical sound field.

Even tested on my OG Sony Discman model D-838K which has the beloved Burr-Brown DAC (PCM67U) + enough power to run Monarch at just volume 4 out of 10

On the Discman, it's like I'm at the venue.

Side Note: PCM67U combines a conventional thin-film R-2R ladder DAC and an advanced one-bit DAC which helps the DAC attain high resolution, minimal glitches, and low zero-crossing distortion. You can snatch a Discman on eBay with this DAC for $35. models like D-M805, D-808K and D-303 also use this DAC.

You won't believe the sound you get for $35. I feel like Modern DAPs are ripping me off now lol. The limitation is the number of FLAC files you can burn to a CD-R (They don't read CD-RW) but the sound is so wide, open, very analog, and musical. Turn on MEGABASS to turn it into a party.

Thanks for the rec!

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #378 of 2,059
Agree here - I've been putting the Maestro Mini through its bases, and that section of the graph doesn't really come off as presently during listening.

I think you will be fine long term. As @domq422 said, the bass and overall warmth level out that area of the sound nicely, resulting in a full experience.

Yes, also noting, the treble does come off as a little dark because of the rest of the signature.
It's good to ear the first.
But it's not good to ear the second... I love treble.

Feb 12, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #379 of 2,059
It's good to ear the first.
But it's not good to ear the second... I love treble.
The one thing about the Mini I will say is that the treble extension is very nice. Details come across clearly but naturally. For my particular HRTF I’d even say these have the most natural playback for just strictly details. Sure the Timeless and the Monarch’s come across as being “more resolving” but the sacrifice is that the details are more pushed in your face. The Minis have a signature, for me, where the entire signature can breath more and I’m not ever having to lower the volume due to harshness in the upper mids and treble area.

The only fatigue anyone will ever experience with the Maestro line up could be with the bass. I don’t ever experience fatigue with bass but I’ve read others have. So of course, the age old saying, your miles may vary.

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #380 of 2,059
The only fatigue anyone will ever experience with the Maestro line up could be with the bass.
That combined with pressure buildup in the ear. Its actually my biggest complaint about the mini. I get kind of a suction effect and if I cant get them seated just it right causes some mild discomfort almost immediately.

Havent had a ton of eartime with them lately, maybe tomorrow they will be my goto. As much as I love that huge bass, I do actually kind of wish they were a tad warmer, which feels like a very odd thing to say about such a bassy IEM. Might try some eq on my mojo 2. Also really wish they had included the mesh screen from the beginning...

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #381 of 2,059
The Maestro Mini belong to my top 3 at the moment. With just a bit of EQ in the 4khz and 8khz regions, these are magical sounding. Brain burn-in maybe, but I am not « hearing » the somewhat lack of midbass anymore as I did before. I don’t even EQ this region anymore.

Add a potent and high quality source into the mix and your basshead’s needs are satisfied 🔊

B28C82E4-AA6D-428B-B2E4-E28AFD0BB8ED.jpeg
very pretty. which are your other top two ?

Feb 13, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #382 of 2,059
Feb 13, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #383 of 2,059
That combined with pressure buildup in the ear. Its actually my biggest complaint about the mini. I get kind of a suction effect and if I cant get them seated just it right causes some mild discomfort almost immediately.

Havent had a ton of eartime with them lately, maybe tomorrow they will be my goto. As much as I love that huge bass, I do actually kind of wish they were a tad warmer, which feels like a very odd thing to say about such a bassy IEM. Might try some eq on my mojo 2. Also really wish they had included the mesh screen from the beginning...
I agree. I was so focused on describing the sound I had forgotten to mention the unfortunate pressure build up with the minis. It’s worse with some tips and not as jarring with others but it is always there.

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #386 of 2,059
Nice picks. Any comparison of fat mini with z1r and e5000 ?
I can give you some quick comparisons of the mini with those two. Though I havent owned my z1r in a long time, so itll be mostly from memory. I would say the Z1R is still all around better (to my preferences). Its bass probably hits harder and has more midbass than the mini. Similarly mildly V shaped beyond that, though the treble on the Z1R is probably a bit richer and has a hard to define quality to it likely due to using a DD tweeter. The mini sounds a little more etched, and overall has less weight behind the sound on the whole. The Z1R however is MUCH bigger and MUCH heavier. It was painful for me to use, which was the only reason I got rid of them.

The E5000 is completely different though. Treble on the E5000 is much smoother and likely a bit more rolled off. The E5000 also is much much warmer and has a lot more midbass emphasis, but loses out quite a bit on subbass compared to the mini. The mini is almost like a lean sound with subbass emphasis, whereas the E5000 is just lush and warm and smooth throughout.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #387 of 2,059
Nice picks. Any comparison of fat mini with z1r and e5000 ?
Z1R remains the « best » set for me from a pure sound perspective, but the 3 others sets are more « fun » to listen to. The E5000 is a bit darkish, but properly driven, it pounds hard with Electronics and has full mids that I like with vocals. Still, the E5000 cannot compete with the FatFreq MM.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #388 of 2,059
Just received back today after having a refit done. I sent them my custom Mentor’s to use as a blueprint for refit. The refit is excellent, time to enjoy these now :)

A338FC53-5725-46B6-84A3-BBB09252EAFF.jpeg

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #389 of 2,059
Unis incoming. Can't wait to hear for myself what the hype is about!

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #390 of 2,059
Hey folks,

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce @CartrKellr - you may see some answers to questions from him sometimes when I can't attend to something.
He'll be supporting me for FatFreq & PluSound-related topics.

I'll let Carter do an intro for himself when he sees this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back