FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Dec 6, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #166 of 2,059
Good question @Ace Bee For me it’s clearly a BA midrange, until proven otherwise. Serial’s midrange is more lush, fuller and better textured. The MM have slightly recessed mids and eventhough they are well separated from the lows, there is nothing « special » about them. It’s quite a performance to tune a set like this, where the subbass pounds so hard and clear, without overshadowing the rest of the frequencies. Still, the MM are no allrounders by any means and it’s a kind of a niche product. Overall, I prefer the Serial over the MM, but the FatFreq’s effort fulfills one important target: giving the bassheads what they truly want with an appropriate management of the mids and highs. It’s a set that will find its (wide) audience, I guess.

Oh yeah, a FiiO K7 should do well, no problem.

By saying that the stock cable is unusable, I wanted to say in an exaggerated way, that it definitely doesn’t meet today’s standard in terms of comfort and design. It does its job soundwise, but nowadays there are too many options to replace such a thing that it just cannot be ignored.
Thank you. Not going for it then! This was indeed needed.

Dec 6, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #168 of 2,059
Does the Fatfreq maestro se have a filter to protect from earwax or is the drivers exposed like the mini?
From now on, I think all FF models will have a grill

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #173 of 2,059
SE and Grand also now ship with an improved cable, I will share impressions once they send it out for my Grand, but it has to be an improvement...

They already do a great job with feedback.

I couldn’t even find the Grand on their website but that was outside of my price point for a totally blind buy.

I hope we get more info on that one soon as well.

Dec 7, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #178 of 2,059
Post #95 of 173 In case folks missed it. I'd be happy to share more if there are any questions regarding the Grand Maestro.

Would definitely be great to get more impressions out there!

Thanks so much for sharing that. Hopefully, we'll get more reviews on them soon too. Nice read!

There’s a Maestro SE thread and this general one. Wouldn’t it be better to keep it all under this thread?
More the merrier as far as I'm concerned, but if the Mods or others want to merge 'em I'd have no problem with it.

I'm with Bret on this one - we're transitioning this thread to a more general "brand-related discussion" thread so there's a place for that, and then we will have product threads for each individual one that's relevant to the audiophile community.

Can anyone compare the MM to the UM Mext or the Thor Mjolnir mk2? I EQ'd the Mext to the MM and it does sound pretty good. But how does the MM detail and soundstage compare to the Mext?

Being a lover of the MEST MK II I'm curious as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back