FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Dec 27, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,561 of 1,998
Anyone compared Grand Maestro to Ultimate Melody Multiverse ??

Would be interested to learn of your thoughts
I’m bad with throwing impressions and benchmarking, but one least noticeable aspect is the soundstage. GM features a toggle to adjust vocal proximity, which is unique. The multiverse mentor feels more spacious, with distinct layers of details. Overall, both are on the summit fi level, and that's the main takeaway from my experience with both.

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpeg
    IMG_1415.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 27, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,562 of 1,998
Anyone compared Grand Maestro to Ultimate Melody Multiverse ??

Would be interested to learn of your thoughts
I heard both at the same show. I can't recommend the Mentor Multiverse in 2023. As someone who has owned the Mentor V1, V2 and V3 (yes this is a 10-year-old model/series), I thought the Mentor Multiverse inherited the Mentor's signature sound (kudos to UM) along with its biggest shortcoming: a distinctive boxy-ness in the uppermids. At its asking price in 2023, I don't think it is acceptable.

I also wouldn't recommend getting the Grand Maestro before auditioning at least one model from the Maestro series or the Scarlett. UM is still your familiar hifi IEM sound, whereas the Maestro series is in the historically heavy bass territory.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #1,563 of 1,998
Has anyone tried double flange tips with the Scarlet? Double flanges (SpinFit CP240) are usually my go-to tips for IEMs since they tone down the treble which I'm super sensitive to, and boost the bass as well. I'm part of the "Deeper insertion = Less treble + More bass" group.
I tried the CP240 with the Scarlets. I didn't really like the pairing too much. Felt a little bloaty to me. Felt it killed the soundstage and any sense of air. More bass quantity but not as defined. I think its hard to be sensitive to the treble on the Scarlets because if you have the volume up that loud to the point treble is causing you problems then you are definitely going to be having problems with the bass. I learnt with the Scarlets that sensitivity swings both ways. Bass fatigue is real. Treble sensitivity to me is like 'uhh make it stop now', where as bass fatigue is like 'urgh, this is becoming a mission to listen to, i think i'd rather stop' after like 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #1,565 of 1,998
I’m bad with throwing impressions and benchmarking, but one least noticeable aspect is the soundstage. GM features a toggle to adjust vocal proximity, which is unique. The multiverse mentor feels more spacious, with distinct layers of details. Overall, both are on the summit fi level, and that's the main takeaway from my experience with both.

Thanks very much!

Yes, they aren't the most comfortable of the tips i tried, but they do seem to sound the best. I will give it some more time and experimentation.
What tips are you using?

They didn't work for me as well. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #1,567 of 1,998
I heard both at the same show. I can't recommend the Mentor Multiverse in 2023. As someone who has owned the Mentor V1, V2 and V3 (yes this is a 10-year-old model/series), I thought the Mentor Multiverse inherited the Mentor's signature sound (kudos to UM) along with its biggest shortcoming: a distinctive boxy-ness in the uppermids. At its asking price in 2023, I don't think it is acceptable.

I also wouldn't recommend getting the Grand Maestro before auditioning at least one model from the Maestro series or the Scarlett. UM is still your familiar hifi IEM sound, whereas the Maestro series is in the historically heavy bass territory.

This is great feedback. Yes, the UM house sound is very different than the Fatfreq house sound.

That's why we always recommend trying in person or on a tour if you can, but we also understand how hard it is for people to secure demos.

Have yet to receive my scarlets, but I'm using the tri clarion tips with my Maestro Mini currently. They seem to work fine enough for me.

Need to pick up these myself, on the to try list.

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #1,569 of 1,998
2 Months passed and damn im in love with SCARLET even MORE :) i hope my GF will not be jealous about "scarlet" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Maybe its placebo by they got better day by day, the bass and quality of this is JOKE at this price <3 <3 <3

It's still 31 dec 15:37 here but HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone !! let 2024 be better than 2023 :)

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #1,571 of 1,998
Quick question, has FatFreq being able to resolve their delays on the manufacturing side??.

They have not answered any emails on my orders for the past 14 days ?.

Understand if they are still behind, but communicating is key with customers.
I reached out to cancel my order a couple of days ago for my Scarlet and they replied immediately saying that it was in the final stages of production and that they wouldn't be able to. They said that I should expect them to arrive in 1-2 weeks. I pre-ordered at the beginning of October for reference.

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #1,572 of 1,998
I reached out to cancel my order a couple of days ago for my Scarlet and they replied immediately saying that it was in the final stages of production and that they wouldn't be able to. They said that I should expect them to arrive in 1-2 weeks. I pre-ordered at the beginning of October for reference.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I want to keep waiting in particular when they go silent. I understand if they are trying to not compromise quality but not communicating is not the right approach.

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #1,573 of 1,998
Quick question, has FatFreq being able to resolve their delays on the manufacturing side??.

They have not answered any emails on my orders for the past 14 days ?.

Understand if they are still behind, but communicating is key with customers.

When did you order? I’ll check in for you.

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #1,574 of 1,998
At the beginning of december I asked them about mine, they told me currently in production and expected to be end of december or "latest" beginning of january. I've ordered it on 5th october.

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #1,575 of 1,998
When did you order? I’ll check in for you.
In November, however it is very easy for them to have someone just contact all orders and provide a status. If you do it the old way you can outsource at cents on the $ , which is the easiest nowadays. I know they are a small shop hence the suggestion. Will not cancel as I still want to experience their product and support a new business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back