FatFreq Grand Maestro
Oct 20, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #76 of 257
Interesting that they changed.
My customs are being built this week, and FatFreq confirmed they will have all the upgraded features and goodies. 👍🏽
What did you purchase ur GM? I'm reading some people have delays of 3.5 months. That's crazyyyy

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #77 of 257
An update about the new metal module.

I tried the new metal module with the early GM unit and it doesnt fit. I find out that the O ring is slimmer so it enter the module hole loosely. Of course this make the bass gone by a lot.

So the next step for me is to replace the O ring from old module to the new metal one and now it fit, but there is another issue. While the bass is now back, like the resin modul, the upper mid and treble doesnt sound the same and everything from mid to treble sound leaner. I think this happen because the design of the module change like the metal mesh is now recessed and isnt really compatible with the old GM.

See picture below.
Sorry to hear the new modules are causing issues :frowning2: I just tested out the new metal black modules sent out on my (very early, one of if not the first) GMs... I see what you mean that the new modules go in much easier, but provided they are fully inserted I do not notice a shift in bass. I just tested having metal in R and resin in L and then swapped so R had resin and L had metal and didn't notice any difference bass or otherwise. I didn't swap any O rings.

It might be worth reaching out to FATfreq support if they are audibly changing the sound there...

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #78 of 257
What did you purchase ur GM? I'm reading some people have delays of 3.5 months. That's crazyyyy
I’m pushing 5 months.
Ordered June 4th from MusicTeck. Then shipping of impressions etc.
Pretty sure the upgrades to the universal were at least part of the delay.
I’d rather wait and have the most current, than have updates announced 2 weeks after I got mine.
I waited just over 2 months for my A18T so long lead times are common.
But this has been unusual.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #79 of 257
I’m pushing 5 months.
Ordered June 4th from MusicTeck. Then shipping of impressions etc.
Pretty sure the upgrades to the universal were at least part of the delay.
I’d rather wait and have the most current, than have updates announced 2 weeks after I got mine.
I waited just over 2 months for my A18T so long lead times are common.
But this has been unusual.
5 months? That's insane. Hopefully when I order mine I don't have to wait longer than 3 months. I think that's my personal max. I also already have my ear mold STL files so that should shorten the process a little.

Oct 20, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #80 of 257
Sorry to hear the new modules are causing issues :frowning2: I just tested out the new metal black modules sent out on my (very early, one of if not the first) GMs... I see what you mean that the new modules go in much easier, but provided they are fully inserted I do not notice a shift in bass. I just tested having metal in R and resin in L and then swapped so R had resin and L had metal and didn't notice any difference bass or otherwise. I didn't swap any O rings.

It might be worth reaching out to FATfreq support if they are audibly changing the sound there...
I Manage to fix the bass by changing the O ring to bigger size so it seal properly. But do you hear difference in the upper mid and treble? When i A and B ing the resin and metal modul it sound different.

Oct 20, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #81 of 257
I Manage to fix the bass by changing the O ring to bigger size so it seal properly. But do you hear difference in the upper mid and treble? When i A and B ing the resin and metal modul it sound different.
Look at the bright side! Now you have 8 tuning options!

Oct 20, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #82 of 257
Look at the bright side! Now you have 8 tuning options!
Hahaha i did think about it. Im not complaining i just want Fatfreq to grow because this module issue might impact those who want to buy it because they lose the old one or something.

Oct 20, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #83 of 257
Hahaha i did think about it. Im not complaining i just want Fatfreq to grow because this module issue might impact those who want to buy it because they lose the old one or something.
Completely agree. Just having a little fun. I would be a little irritated myself.

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #85 of 257
Just purchased these and am completely blown away. Can anyone recommend a good portable dac/amp for them? Was considering the FiiO ka5 but not sure if that is the best combination?
Get any portable dac/amp that can provide sufficient power to the Grand Maestro. My Hiby FC4 was already enough to power it, so the Fiio KA5 should do the job just fine.

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #86 of 257
Just purchased these and am completely blown away. Can anyone recommend a good portable dac/amp for them? Was considering the FiiO ka5 but not sure if that is the best combination?
I liked GM best on a highly resolving source, for me that was Astell & Kern Kann Max.
But that’s a dap.
AK has a dongle DAC, but can’t confirm from experience how well it would pair.

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #87 of 257
MUB1

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #89 of 257
No experience with KA5.
I own the BTR7.
It has a warm signature, and enough power to drive the GM. (May need high gain)
Has a battery so won’t drain your device.
And a switch to allow charging/powering from device if you have the need.
BT connection is pretty good sound if connected to an android device and able to connect at higher codecs (LDAC, etc).
BT Connected to iDevices at AAC it sacrifices a lot of detail and clarity.

I ordered an IFi Hip DAC 3 yesterday, don’t have it so can’t speak from experience, but you may be interested to take a look at it.
One thing off the get go, it’s larger than most dongle style DAC/amps, so that’s a consideration if portability is important.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #90 of 257
No experience with KA5.
I own the BTR7.
It has a warm signature, and enough power to drive the GM. (May need high gain)
Has a battery so won’t drain your device.
And a switch to allow charging/powering from device if you have the need.
BT connection is pretty good sound if connected to an android device and able to connect at higher codecs (LDAC, etc).
BT Connected to iDevices at AAC it sacrifices a lot of detail and clarity.

I ordered an IFi Hip DAC 3 yesterday, don’t have it so can’t speak from experience, but you may be interested to take a look at it.
One thing off the get go, it’s larger than most dongle style DAC/amps, so that’s a consideration if portability is important.
Ah I see, I have an iPhone so the btr7 on BT may be a no go, curious as to how the MU1 compares too….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back