Fastfood place rant
Apr 11, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #91 of 116
Maybe you never got sick but plenty of people did get sick - the Jack-in-the-Box food poisonings in around 1993 were a result of undercooked burgers with way too much e.coli content. Last year a little girl called Brianna Kriefall died from contaminated meat. It's not the worms (highly doubtful!) I'm worried about but the cow pies.

Here's a great story for you all:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/556884.asp
(That's msnbc, not www.whininghippiesonwelfare.com)

Definitely eat some meat. I like steak as much as anyone, rare, and wine and baked potato and caesar salad with it. Go buy a steak and cook it (eat it raw if it's fresh enough) but don't trust what comes frozen in a cardboard box or comes sliding down a stainless steel chute wrapped in paper. Two more weeks in New York for me, I have to get to a good steakhouse again before I leave.

I don't think Eric Schlosser is any kind of fanatic. He certainly wrote a sensational book and is no doubt rolling in money as a result but it is worth noting that he isn't rolling in lawsuits, as you would expect if he was publishing lies about large powerful corporations like McDonald's. There's definitely some truth there.

Apr 11, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #94 of 116
I don't know if they are available anywhere but Seattle but there is nothing quite as good late on a Saturday night as a Burger from Dick's.

Apr 11, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #95 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I don't know if they are available anywhere but Seattle but there is nothing quite as good late on a Saturday night as a Burger from Dick's.

I know of a Dick's Drive In, in Spokane. It's been there for many years.

Apr 11, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #96 of 116
An attack on fast food is not an attack on meat. in fact, its actually in support of meat. of good meat, not the "cardboard" crap that fast food chains have.

aeberbach, have you gone to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn?

for burgers, i usually go to a smalll business joint. Like Blimpie burger in Ann Arbor, you can see that they use straight up ground beef, and damn, do they make good burgers.

that said, i have been meaning to switch to only free-range beef. the way they raise american grain fed beef is disgusting, not to mention inhumane. I just don't like the idea of eating an animal that was raised eating corn, which in nature would kill it. It's pumped full of chemicals just so it can live on corn.

Apr 11, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #97 of 116
sorry guys, but this in n out love's got to stop. the place is good...but not THAT good. it's beyond overrated now. after eating there...you can smell the food on you, your clothes, even an hour after you leave. don't get my started on the cardboard fries and the puddle of oil left at the bottom of the burgers. my fastfood vote still goes to subway or el pollo loco.

Apr 11, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #98 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by RoninDiesel
you can smell the food on you, your clothes, even an hour after you leave. don't get my started on the cardboard fries and the puddle of oil left at the bottom of the burgers.

That's what makes it so goooooooooood.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #99 of 116
No Peter Luger for me. I don't know how much better than Smith & Wollensky, Strip Joint or Tuscan Grill it could be but it certainly has reputation. I called once last year to try and get in there and the best I could do was three weeks out, I passed. And it's kind of a long way to go and while the reviews say that the steak is memorable the service can be kind of memorably rude. Of course they may just be reviewers when felt they deserved special treatment and didn't get it.

Steak in Australia is different. It's no smaller (well, maybe smaller than Tuscan Grill's 50oz special) but it is much leaner, very little marbling. It generally has a stronger flavor and is often a little tougher depending on cut. Prime Rib is either given some name I'm unaware of or is completely unknown. In Melbourne there are a couple of quality steak houses with NY style meat, the most famous is Vlado's and then comes Grill on the Hill. The thing I really like at home is that a fine porterhouse or rump costs around $4 if you go to a market rather than Safeway or the local butcher.

Apr 11, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #100 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by RoninDiesel
sorry guys, but this in n out love's got to stop. the place is good...but not THAT good. it's beyond overrated now. after eating there...you can smell the food on you, your clothes, even an hour after you leave. don't get my started on the cardboard fries and the puddle of oil left at the bottom of the burgers. my fastfood vote still goes to subway or el pollo loco.

Ever smell a subway hero? 'Nuff said.

Apr 12, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #103 of 116
Any of you in LA ever eat at Mo Better Meaty Meat Burger? Pico and Fairfax if you're interested or feel like flying out for the best burger anywhere. Name says it all. Actually those burgers are too good to be meat. Great place, it's ghetto, barely any parking, service is terrible and slow and rude. I dont' even class in in the same category as the hamburger. It's like the '57 Mouton Rothschild or the Skunk#1 of burgers.

But there will always be a special place in my heart for the 3x5.

Curious, does anyone besides me eat 3x5s or any other non standard In N Out order?

Apr 12, 2003 at 7:34 AM Post #104 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by SFbayArch
ugghhh...shudder...

well, you may be right, but at least with the Mc Fecal Burger you're recycling ~!!

Haha, names of burgers you'll never see McDonald's use. I could help them be honest with a can of spray paint though late at night
wink.gif
I love to help out whenever possible.

BTW, if anyone visits the NW, you'll have to stop by Burgerville, they are the In N Out of the NW.

Apr 12, 2003 at 9:03 AM Post #105 of 116
hmm, burgers.
Fatburger seems very popular in southern california. I think Magic Johnson owns one here and there. Other than that, Fudruckers is pretty good. Not Rud****ers. They have ostrich burgers and a crazy 1lb. burger. Primo stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back