Fastest most detailled headphone amp?
May 3, 2005 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

morphie

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey peeps,

I'd like some thougts on which headphone amp is in your opinion the fastest/most detailled. I've noticed that the Headroom Home's headphone out smoothes things out a bit, compared to the DAC-1's headphone out. I'd like to buy another amp (preferably preamp as well) to do some A/Bing with the Home amp. No $$$ limit, for home use altho if you think a portable amp can do what I want feel free to post your opinion.

Thanks to all of you who reply
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 48
One more thing to add, soundstage isn't what i'm looking for at all. I like hearing the sound being as close to my ear as possible with headphones. My speaker rig does the job if I want good soundstage
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 48
my vote would be a dynahi. Its super fast and very transparent. It simply get out of the way and let you hear your source. If all your looking for is speed and detail then i dont think your going to be disappointed with a dynahi. A balanced one!

May 3, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastside504
my vote would be a dynahi. Its super fast and very transparent. It simply get out of the way and let you hear your source. If all your looking for is speed and detail then i dont think your going to be disappointed with a dynahi. A balanced one!

Sounds like what im looking for alright. Thanks for the insight, I'll be visiting gsferarri's website very soon i think
wink.gif

May 3, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 48
ill throw in the HeadCode in as a recommendation, has all the benefits of a balanced amp without any of the drawbacks, flawless speed, attack and transparency.

May 3, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 48
So far, Kurt's balanced Dynamight made by sft has been the fastest and most detailed headphone amp I've ever heard. Expensive but really good.
If you can wait a month or so, there should be some impressions on the Dynamight vs. Headcode (tri-mono version) as well.
Further, I've read that Headroom will be replacing their existing amps by some new ones so maybe they'll also come out with a new high end amp Blockhead- or Max-style.
The Prehead MKII is an excellent choice as well but I thought the balanced Dynamight was more detailed. You have to consider the price difference though.

May 3, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 48
SS:
Headamp Gilmore Reference
Meier Audio Prehead

Tube:
Ear HP4

Hybrid:
Melos Reference Gold with carlo mods

Since you use RS-1's, I strongly STRONGLY recommend the Ear.

May 3, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
Sorry, but can u explain to me how a tube amp is fast and detailled, rather than smooth?

The HP-4 sounds like a very smooth solid state amplifer. It is fast and detailed and also smooth...

May 3, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Any website for the balanced dynamight?

As far as I know, the Dynamight is a design by Kevin Gilmore who doesn't build the amps himself but has to approve of the people wanting to build these amps under his name. Sft apparently is one of the builders but I'm not sure what his homepage is.
If I'm not mistaken, a 'Dynamight' is practically a balanced 'Dynahi'. Just like the PPA, there are different versions of the Dynahi depending on the quality and quantity of parts used. So just because one Dynahi sounds better than some other amp doesn't imply that all Dynahis will sound better than some other amp.
The price range goes from $700-1000 for a basic configuration Dynahi up to $2000 or more (no fixed upper limit) for a maxed out Dynamight (balanced Dynahi). Even though the Dynamight I heard sounded better than the Prehead MKII, it's not necessarily implied that a basic Dynahi would do so as well.

May 3, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 48
I haven't tried a lot of amps, but I am pretty happy with my Sugden Headmaster.

Sorry, but I don't thing speed and detail is the strong point of tubes. Certainly not my Earmax Pro.

May 3, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Sorry, but can u explain to me how a tube amp is fast and detailled, rather than smooth?

gpalmer explained it well. It is what it is. Tubes are not inherently smooth perse and well...Tim de Paravicini designs tubes and ss to sound the same. He builds with tubes because tube amps sell better these days. Notice his new phono supreme is tube? The reason is because although his 324 is receiving glowing reviews all over the place...folks wanted tubes, so he built yet another phono just for them.

Oh...the Ear is balanced and single ended, has two low z outputs, two high z outputs and has a mute button for one's power amp
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back