Fastest most detailled headphone amp?
May 3, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by riffer
I haven't tried a lot of amps, but I am pretty happy with my Sugden Headmaster.

Sorry, but I don't thing speed and detail is the strong point of tubes. Certainly not my Earmax Pro.

Earmax pro is a VERY tubey amp. The Ear HP4 is not. Though I want to hear an Earmax pro with the RS-1's. It is said to be a match made in tubey warm heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by riffer
I haven't tried a lot of amps, but I am pretty happy with my Sugden Headmaster.

Sorry, but I don't thing speed and detail is the strong point of tubes. Certainly not my Earmax Pro.

The Earmax Pro series of amp are more about musicality and warmth. They lack the dynamic punch, timing, detail of the amps BUT the EMP anniv corrects most of these problems BUT it is very expensive.

I miss all my EMP series. I miss the warmth, musicality. Sure I have great dynamics and other stuff in my other amps. But for sheer warmth and musicality I just miss all my EMP's. Should of never got rid of them
mad.gif

May 4, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
The Earmax Pro series of amp are more about musicality and warmth. They lack the dynamic punch, timing, detail of the amps BUT the EMP anniv corrects most of these problems BUT it is very expensive.

I miss all my EMP series. I miss the warmth, musicality. Sure I have great dynamics and other stuff in my other amps. But for sheer warmth and musicality I just miss all my EMP's. Should of never got rid of them
mad.gif

What was different between the anniversary ed. vs. the others?

May 4, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth

I believe the anniversary simply had more dynamic ounch and kick to it, as for the engineering aspect of it im not quite sure...

usually, simply lowering the capacitance can result in a less warm, more punchy sound, but that is a very big generalization however

May 4, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Well for a start the standard EMP was a musical and very warm amp, but it lacked pace and seemed slow compared to other SS and tube amps. Also Bass was a bit bloated and loose. Didn't have the greatest detail. But this suited me fine when I used it with the 225's. This was my first experience of amp and headphone synergy. I used this combo for quite a while but I wanted more of this combo using grado headphones and tubes as I feel IMO they have a great synergy. So I got another pair of Rs-1's and the EMP anniv. I really like this combo as pace was better, the control of bass was better, detail was slightly better without sacrificing the warmth of the old EMP's. But I got rid of it. I thought at the time it was expensive for what it was and I still do to a certain point. But then I started to buy more expensive amps and headphones and then realised how much I missed the emp anniv. Maybe if I get one again I will be finished with amps. Well besides the blue hawaii
wink.gif

May 4, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #21 of 48
Ok, i want dynamics tho, i love dynamics. Fast and detailled dynamics. Can that Ear HP4 tubey do that? I'm not very convinced... How much does that amp retail for?

May 4, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
Ok, i want dynamics tho, i love dynamics. Fast and detailled dynamics. Can that Ear HP4 tubey do that? I'm not very convinced... How much does that amp retail for?

In spades! Better than any ss amp I have ever heard with the RS-1's period. Um...it's pricey. 3.5k USD I think...cheaper in Europe, maybe around 2.4k USD? so like 2k eur?

May 4, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

In spades! Better than any ss amp I have ever heard with the RS-1's period. Um...it's pricey. 3.5k USD I think...cheaper in Europe, maybe around 2.4k USD? so like 2k eur?

With all due respect I think this would be a unwise choice for morphie. I think something alittle colder and sterile might be in order to suit morpie's taste's. Also his budget requirements might be different. I think an SS amp would benefit morphie more. I just think after having previous converstations with morphie through both PM's and reading his posts that the HP-4 would not suit him, but who knows?

May 4, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #24 of 48
Based on on what SFT tells me, the Dynamight sounds like the perfect amp for you.

My Dynamight will be facing off against ayt999's Supra SDS-XLR, Headroom Blockhead w/ stepped attenuators, and Gilmore balanced Reference very soon (2-4 weeks, maybe?)...perhaps we'll be able to post further information on the topic at that time.

It sounds like you might also like Qualia headphones, by the way.

May 4, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #25 of 48
Found website for the Dynahi builder Sft: http://www.veda-audio.com
Sft and Gsferrari are partners for Veda-Audio. The Dynamight is not listed on the website but perhaps you can pm or email one of them for pricing quotes on a Dynamight, or be satisfied with a Dynahi if budget doesn't allow otherwise.

May 4, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
With all due respect I think this would be a unwise choice for morphie. I think something alittle colder and sterile might be in order to suit morpie's taste's. Also his budget requirements might be different. I think an SS amp would benefit morphie more. I just think after having previous converstations with morphie through both PM's and reading his posts that the HP-4 would not suit him, but who knows?

I think this man here understands my needs. Would you be a cute woman id marry you
wink.gif

Cold and sterile, though it doesnt seem very attractive, is a good way to describe what I want. I just bought a pair of 325i, and once I get it I'm not sure my RS-1s won't end up in the Sales forum... I'm not looking for the best quality or anything, I just want to enjoy my music with an in-your-face, rocking sound. In truth I even miss my old silver 325s when playing Hendrix. Guitars just rocked way more. I can tell the RS-1s are way better in many ways in terms of sound quality, but they can't match the fun of the 325s with Hendrix. (only with hendrix tho, for now.)

May 4, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Though I want to hear an Earmax pro with the RS-1's. It is said to be a match made in tubey warm heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

Couldn't agree more.

I use it with Siltech IC's (give very much detail) and NOS PHILIPS SQ valves (Eindhoven factory) (I also like the "new" EI tubes - don't shoot me!).

I prefer the RS-1/EMP Pro combo much more than the combination with my Prehead.
I agree, the Prehead is more neutral, has more detail and gives a broader image (width - 2D) that suits orchestral music.
But the EMP gives more 3D. I mean : more depth but on a slightly smaller stage and much more air around the notes. The notes float free in polychrome (hmm).
Woodwinds, organ, brass, saxes, vibraphones sound very realistic (all acoustic instruments with harmonic complex tone).... It suits (acoustic) Jazz and chamber music very well (IMHO).

Nietzsche.

May 4, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #29 of 48
Morphie,

I was talking about acoustic music.
Jimi H. sounds (as most electric rock) also VERY good on my Slee SOLO. Upfront and very detailed midrange and very dynamic. A bit unpolite for acoustic music (IMHO).

See Pinkies & Jahn's comments. Jahn seems to like the "bootstrapped" Solo / Grado combination.

Good luck! I guess you will end up with at least 3 amps.

Nietzsche

Users who are viewing this thread

Back