Fastest most detailled headphone amp?
May 4, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #31 of 48
you still have a wallet?
eek.gif

sell it and put the money towards a better amp.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #32 of 48
Dynahi SA sounds like a plan, it is also warm though according to the tyrion review of it.
Talisman T-3H springs to mind aswell, and there is actually one of those up in the FS forums now, for $685AUD plus shipping.

May 4, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
.... Though I want to hear an Earmax pro with the RS-1's. It is said to be a match made in tubey warm heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

I had that combo in house a few months ago.

Although I found the RS-1's too bright for my liking, they otherwise did sound very nice with the Earmax Pro.

May 4, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Dynahi SA sounds like a plan, it is also warm though according to the tyrion review of it.
Talisman T-3H springs to mind aswell, and there is actually one of those up in the FS forums now, for $685AUD plus shipping.

I've been having a Talisman T-3H for a couple of weeks with me on loan and while it's certainly a capable amp, I'm not as happy as I was with my previous Corda HA-2 MKI. Also in direct comparison to a HA-2 MKII, the Corda sounds more resolving and has a better soundstage.

morphie, the Dynamight I heard had a very well-developd 3D soundstage but I can't see why this should be seen as a bad thing. As I see it, once given more room, the musical details are not crammed into a tight place anymore but can spread throughout the bigger soundstage so it's easier for the listener to pick them out. And having a layered soundstage with good front to back imaging certainly contributes to this cause.

May 4, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Someone should attempt to define what makes an amp fast and detailed.

A very low distortion amp with a very high slew rate and no ringing?

I would very much like to hear about this also, as I have been a little vague with what these terms actually mean as well.

Perhaps if this doesn't get picked up deep in this thread, we could start a new thread on descriptions of terms like this.

dshea

May 4, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
I think this man here understands my needs. Would you be a cute woman id marry you
wink.gif

Cold and sterile, though it doesnt seem very attractive, is a good way to describe what I want. I just bought a pair of 325i, and once I get it I'm not sure my RS-1s won't end up in the Sales forum... I'm not looking for the best quality or anything, I just want to enjoy my music with an in-your-face, rocking sound. In truth I even miss my old silver 325s when playing Hendrix. Guitars just rocked way more. I can tell the RS-1s are way better in many ways in terms of sound quality, but they can't match the fun of the 325s with Hendrix. (only with hendrix tho, for now.)

Seeming you don't finds the 325's silver harsh or bright as most headfiers do, maybe you need something a little on the bright side? This might work for you, it might not. But I really do think anything that's remotely warm sounding you will not be satisfied. Maybe a used grace 901/902 or a GSP solo+psu1 might be your ticket. Both are detailed and fast. I find these two amps slightly bright for my taste's although they might be fine for you. See if you can audition them. I used those amps with darker or flatter sounding headphones to give them a bit of enerygy like the hd600's and hp-2'. The Gsp solo is the cheaper of the two. Keep a lookout for them in the F/s forums.

May 4, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #38 of 48
my veda-audio dynahi is awesome. i will be posting a review soon. taking my time with comparisons and such.

May 4, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Someone should attempt to define what makes an amp fast and detailed.

A very low distortion amp with a very high slew rate and no ringing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
... Perhaps if this doesn't get picked up deep in this thread, we could start a new thread on descriptions of terms like this.

Good idea! We need a good discussion of amp measurements and their correlation with sonic attributes. Feel free to get a new thread going... or I'll do it when I get some spare time later in the week.

May 5, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
morphie, the Dynamight I heard had a very well-developd 3D soundstage but I can't see why this should be seen as a bad thing. As I see it, once given more room, the musical details are not crammed into a tight place anymore but can spread throughout the bigger soundstage so it's easier for the listener to pick them out. And having a layered soundstage with good front to back imaging certainly contributes to this cause.

What I really like about Grados is the in your face sound. I dont mind wider 2D soundstage at all, like you said every detail can spread and be heard more distinctly. However, 3D is more my problem. I'd like everything to be heard from almost behind the ear up to in between the eyes, while it stays right in front of my face. I find music most enjoyable this way. Sure its quality is probably not as good, but the fun factor is most important for me
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Seeming you don't finds the 325's silver harsh or bright as most headfiers do, maybe you need something a little on the bright side? This might work for you, it might not. But I really do think anything that's remotely warm sounding you will not be satisfied. Maybe a used grace 901/902 or a GSP solo+psu1 might be your ticket. Both are detailed and fast. I find these two amps slightly bright for my taste's although they might be fine for you. See if you can audition them. I used those amps with darker or flatter sounding headphones to give them a bit of enerygy like the hd600's and hp-2'. The Gsp solo is the cheaper of the two. Keep a lookout for them in the F/s forums.

I was already considering a Grace 901/902 when i had my 325s. They were a little expensive so I forgot about them. I liked the built quality for sure. How would they compare to a balanced dynahi?

May 5, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

I was already considering a Grace 901/902 when i had my 325s. They were a little expensive so I forgot about them. I liked the built quality for sure. How would they compare to a balanced dynahi?

I couldn't comment on the dynahi as I have never heard one. But Use to have a grace 901. It's detailed and fast. It was slightly only the bright side for my tastes but it might be better for you. Although people say the headphone section is the weak link I found it adequate for my needs.

Considering it is loadsa of features and is one of the most versatile amps then the price is not that expensive especially if you buy one used. I don't know whether the dynahi would suit you or not as I have no experience of it.

May 5, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Hmm ok. This is what I'll do. I'll audition Talisman and Grace amps, and build myself a balanced maxed out dynahi with stepped attenuators.
biggrin.gif

build me one while your at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back