Fashion Tips + Update + BREAKING NEWS = Solved
Jun 16, 2008 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Chuwy

Head-Fier
So, I bought a pair of SR80s the other day and I am loving them like I would love a pillow that is always on the cool side. You know, how it gets hot after a while on one side and if you flip it over it's always nice and chilly? Yeah, that's what I mean, and that's how good the sound is on these things. BUT I DIGRESS!

It has come to my attention that due to several aspects of these headphones, I am now on the Most Wanted list of the Fashionista Police for wearing them. Yes, I'm pretty sure I've actually seen them hanging around my house with their holstered bottles of hairspray and little bottles of emergency lip gloss. Fictional figments of my imagination aside, simply put, I don't look good in these.

1. The headband presses down on my hair, and since my hair stands up a bit, it creates a rift which looks kinda like the reverse faults you studied about in geography classes. For all you people who failed to pay attention in class,

345-004.gif

2. The wire is too long. I bought this pair not just cause it was the best at the pricepoint (IMO, at least), but because it could be driven just fine by my ipod. But with my ipod in my pocket, I've still got wire hanging down to my ankles, and I'm not exactly the shortest kid on the block, either.

3. C'mon, it's a Grado. We all know John probably traded his aesthetic taste to the devil for the miraculous sound of these cans.

Don't get me wrong, I actually kinda like it's retro look, but regardless, I still look pretty odd in these. I hope I'm accurate in the assumption that you guys have encountered similar problems before (otherwise I'd seem like quite the fool), and might be able to offer me some advice on how to make myself not look so out of place.

Or, you could provide a valid argument to convince me that all outside appearance is completely meaningless and invalid. That would be helpful too.

EDIT: Wow, that picture looks really out of place.
biggrin.gif

UPDATE!
Alright, this is ridiculous, the moment I finally decide that this whole "look" thing really doesn't matter, I lose the only other thing I care about: The SOUND.

At exactly 3:42 into Coldplay's What If, I hear crackling, after double checking on my computer speakers, I'm sure it's from my cans.

After about an hour of mourning/headbanging (without the phones on of course), I've decided to take them to the shop tmrw.

I got them for around 110. (It's Taiwan, so everything's a bit more expensive.)

Should I just fix these, or should I get something else? I just bought these two days ago and this happens. Is Grado build quality something I should be concerned about?

Breaking News!
Alright, so, in a lot of songs I in Coldplays X&Y all have these artifacts, weird sounds, but so far it's only in my right earpad. Now, I was sure it was my headphone's problem until I tried listening to the same music segments with a PX200 and a pair of ****ty sony buds - I heard the same artifacts. What surprises me is that the whole album is encoded in 320kbps! I never hear artifacts in my other songs (not even ones at 128kbps). So now I'm at a crossroads between who to pin the problem on.

Any ideas?

Solved! Crappy Encoding Job.

Now, back to the original problem. The wires are proving to be a bit cumbersome and inconvenient, due to their bulk and length. Any tips?

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 43
First, you cannot see the headphones while you are wearing them. Therefore, their looks are totally irrelevant.

Anyone who does not accept your headphones is not a real friend. Real friends accept you for who you are.

Headphone head is just something you learn to live with. It's OK, really.

You can cut and reterminate the wire. Please stop by the DIY Forum if you need help or advice.

Finally, we do not question Mr. Grado's styling preferences. Just be thankful for the sound.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 43
I wear my 325i grados in public
huge gold cans which scream mug me and make me look like a complete goon!!
at times like this I just think......
Let them worry about us!! lol
I'm listening to what i want on cans i like and think people look more ridiculous wearing ipod buds anyway lol

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 43
If u r so look conscious then get Bose.

The Real fashion is the ability to carry yourself even if all u r wearing is just an underwear. lol @ myself

the Retro look of Grados itself is a fashion statement about your personality & thats what u need to show off instead of hiding.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 43
You could just wear customs, most people will just think you're either a) wearing hearing aids or b) some kind of a rockstar or something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Me, you'd still see me strutting up and down everywhere wearing my hideously beautiful phones, enjoying my beautiful tunes.

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 43
I don't get why you would worry about your looks while wearing cans at home.. as Uncle Erik said, you can't see urself while wearing headphones anyway so why bother? Do you have a mirror in front of you while wearing ur cans?
biggrin.gif

If you do wear the SR-80 in public, get IEM's or buds or other low-profile designs.. I DO get why you would be concerned about the look of grados in public..

If you're one of those people that just cannot have your hair messed up, get something that doesn't have a headband.. again, IEMs or buds, or clip-ons..

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 43
Or look uneasy onvn lol

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 43
Or you could get these, and have all of your problems solved. That's what I did.

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 43
You guys joking? I think Grado's are so much better than any of the other headphones here.
At least, I prefer it over the 'toilet seats on your head' of the k701, or 'hamburger buns on the ear' of the d2000's...

I have ruffled black hair, so I think the sr60/80/225's blend in well.

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 43
Oh, and is it the bowl-pads only that people think are uncomfortable?

I've never tried the bowls, but the sr60's are just as comfortable as the d1000's, d2000's, dt880s i've tried. imho..

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and is it the bowl-pads only that people think are uncomfortable?

I've never tried the bowls, but the sr60's are just as comfortable as the d1000's, d2000's, dt880s i've tried. imho..

The bowls on my Alessies are actually really soft and cushion-y. Although personally I found the stock comfies to be even more comfortable and secure, the bowls are preferable SQ-wise. I think it's the clamp, at the top of the ears, that usually gets people. The headbands are supposed to be bent to personal fit, which usually alleviates the clamping issues.

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #15 of 43
Nothing wrong with the K701 toilet seat cans lol
actaully like look of them and sound is amazing!
just thinking here..... grado325i.....k701 ....... do I buy headphones for the strange looks they will bring me walking down the street??
these two are often described as ugly or garish or toilet seats(new one on me).
NO
I buy them because i like the way they sound and really don't care what something looks like as long as it sounds good!!
'Phones are like old battered shoes.....you dont care what they look like if they are what you are comfortable with(for comfort read - sound good)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back