Fake Sennheiser HD 448?
Apr 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fpsdoug46

New Head-Fier
Ok, so a year ago, I purchased the Sennheiser HD 448 online from sebago traders for around $70, which was cheaper than the $99 that amazon was selling it for. I've used that pair since last August to just this month without issue. However, I always felt that they had cheap build quality and the noise reduction wasn't as good as I though it would be, though I didn't do anything because I thought that thats how the headphones were supposed to be (i never tried them in a store or anything). Recently, they broke, the sound became muffled and I sent it back to Sennheiser under warranty. Instead of a repaired product, today I received a factory refurbished HD 448. The first difference I noticed was the feel of the headphones. They felt sturdier than my old Sennheisers ever did and the noise reduction was WAY better. I also noticed a few subtle differences with the actual build, the metal band that goes across the earcups is lined and is not perfectly clear like the old ones. The ear cushions also feel very different and are more comfortable now. Another thing I noticed is with these, there is a circular pad to prevent the earcups from touching the headphone when moving the earcups back and forth. 
So were my old Sennheiser HD 448s fake? I really can't tell and for some strange reason want to know if they were. After all, I've listened to them avidly and had used them for nearly a year. Or could it be like a new, updated model? 

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 10
Have you heard any sonic differences between the two?

I would think that Sennheiser's repair department would notice a fake of their own headphone.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 10
If it was a fake Sennheiser would definitely have noticed and refused to service it. I owned a pair of real 448's that were bought from an authorized dealer and their build quality really wasn't as good as my other cans. I don't think you can accuse them of being fake based on that.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Considering I sent them a broken pair of headphones for repair, do you think its strange how quickly they sent me back a refurbished one? It could have easily been fixed. My theory is it could have been fake, but they didn't bother fixing, them but they wanted to find the people who sent me the fake ones. The sound is different, I can't say which is better though this has a more "full" sound. that could also just be my imagination. I do have a pic of my old sennheisers, I'll upload that and a pic of the new one's here. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 10
It is difficult to say, as your photos are not having very good quality, but you might have some interesting discovery here. I don't have any knowledge of fake HD 448's, but some of the claims i read do make me think. As my HD 448s are light but very well built, good quality plastics and superb sound isolation.

Poor lighting and slightly different angle makes it difficult to judge, but taking these into consideration and if my eyes don't fool me, while they appear identical, they might not be. The original ones are matte black, yet in the first photo they reflect some light back, more so than the second pair (this could be due to different angle though). Another slight difference, one that makes me wonder is the Sennheiser logo and its chromed plate. On the first pair it looks way too shiny, mirror like. You can see a sharp reflection of the cable in it. No matter how much i tried, i cannot see a similar reflection in my pair. And that's because the chromed plate its not as shiny and reflecting, its surface looks like polished metal (same as you see in the second photo). Also if you notice, on that chromed ring, the paint seems to be of a higher quality (smaller granulation) on the second pair than on the one you suspect to be a fake.

Right now i am not able to tell you if it is indeed a fake, or some manufacturing differences caused by different lots or factories. I have them for like 2 years now, and i don't think they change them, as i believe they were discontinued and replaced with the HD 449.

This is how mine looks.

May 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Ok, so a year ago, I purchased the Sennheiser HD 448 online from sebago traders for around $70, which was cheaper than the $99 that amazon was selling it for. I've used that pair since last August to just this month without issue. However, I always felt that they had cheap build quality and the noise reduction wasn't as good as I though it would be, though I didn't do anything because I thought that thats how the headphones were supposed to be (i never tried them in a store or anything). Recently, they broke, the sound became muffled and I sent it back to Sennheiser under warranty. Instead of a repaired product, today I received a factory refurbished HD 448. The first difference I noticed was the feel of the headphones. They felt sturdier than my old Sennheisers ever did and the noise reduction was WAY better. I also noticed a few subtle differences with the actual build, the metal band that goes across the earcups is lined and is not perfectly clear like the old ones. The ear cushions also feel very different and are more comfortable now. Another thing I noticed is with these, there is a circular pad to prevent the earcups from touching the headphone when moving the earcups back and forth. 
So were my old Sennheiser HD 448s fake? I really can't tell and for some strange reason want to know if they were. After all, I've listened to them avidly and had used them for nearly a year. Or could it be like a new, updated model?

Well im not sure if they were fake but sennheiser doesnt make the HD 448 anymore .... so yes you have the updated model the HD 449 , Sennheiser listened to the customers and made the HD 449 better than its predecessor 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back