Fake Senheiser IE800?
Jan 28, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #241 of 454
Yes, that's a reasonable conclusion: the set which you heard had the characteristics you described.

Other people have heard other fakes showing other characteristics.

And if someone describes a dollar note fake as poor and easy to recognize, that doesn't mean all dollar note fakes are poor and easy to recognize...
I guess you'd have to hear the real ones. You can tell they're an $800 earbud and should be able to tell what isn't.

I think people start to lose their minds and throw away all objectivity when they think they got a bargain.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #242 of 454
Jan 28, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #243 of 454

As you most probably know there is somebody quite credible who has done that comparison and came to a different conclusion than you do:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/700604/fake-senheiser-ie800/135#post_12559063

As nice as it is that you may link someone to someone with experience with one particular experience with the fakes, there are a ton of people saying that theirs didn't sound like it was worth more than 40$

Im sure someone out there is able to get quite close to the real things but others might not.

All in all, the price I paid for my real ones were well worth it.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #244 of 454
Jan 28, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #245 of 454
I do. But I still think people naturally put blinders on when they get a bargain. Extolling the virtues of something inexpensive while trivilaizing the benefits of something expensive is a thing that happens a lot.

No objections against that. That may be also part of psycho-acoustics.

But in this context the other way around happens as well: People shell out $800, close their eyes and believe, that this must have been an exclusive entrance card into an exclusive sound paradise.

I remember well some 10 years ago having purchased a Mercedes SL AMG with 500 HP and 200mph. But in hindsight and trying to be truthful I have to say: this didn't make me a good driver. Not at all...

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #247 of 454
I'll sub this thread with a post.

I have the real ones and gave the fakes away to a Nephew of mine.

They were as you see here very close in cosmetics.

But one thing a Headphone/Earphone has to do for me, is that when I start listening, I have to say WOW!

The real IE800's do that.

The fakes were awesome for the $40 or whatever it was.

But I never said WOW.

The Bass is tighter a more dimensional than the clones.  The mids are liquid smooth with Voice on the real ones.

The real ones do treble well but not bright to me.

The real ones require a bit of juice to drive.  My phone has to be cranked to run them(infamous Note 7)

The fakes were good $40 earphones, real good.  No WOW effect though where I just sat an analyzed the Mids, highs and lows.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #248 of 454
  I'll sub this thread with a post.

I have the real ones and gave the fakes away to a Nephew of mine.

They were as you see here very close in cosmetics.

But one thing a Headphone/Earphone has to do for me, is that when I start listening, I have to say WOW!

The real IE800's do that.

The fakes were awesome for the $40 or whatever it was.

But I never said WOW.

The Bass is tighter a more dimensional than the clones.  The mids are liquid smooth with Voice on the real ones.

The real ones do treble well but not bright to me.

The real ones require a bit of juice to drive.  My phone has to be cranked to run them(infamous Note 7)

The fakes were good $40 earphones, real good.  No WOW effect though where I just sat an analyzed the Mids, highs and lows.

If you listen to hotel california and are not saying to yourself 'WOW' you definitely have a fake pair lol

I heard some of the oldies and I cant get over how great these sound. Not so great for my day to day EDM music. Been changing my musical preferences lately due to the way my headphones present the music.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #249 of 454

If you listen to hotel california and are not saying to yourself 'WOW' you definitely have a fake pair lol

I heard some of the oldies and I cant get over how great these sound. Not so great for my day to day EDM music. Been changing my musical preferences lately due to the way my headphones present the music.

Funny you say that!

One of the Albums I intentionally listened to at first with them was The Eagles - When Hell Freezes Over - Hotel California of course

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #250 of 454
The separation and clarity with the guitar and drums in the beginning is like bliss. No special DAP or AMP.

Straight driven off spotify from my MacBook pro. Such amazing sound. Cant get over how good some songs are.

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #251 of 454
Hi all,

I am new here, but I have been reading forum since a couple of years. 
I have bought a new IE800 from Sennheiser UK but this thread is about fake ones, thats why I would like to share issue about IE800 box.
I bought fake ones on Amazon (for about 450£). I returned them of course. I have got some photos but cannot upload it now. 
The cover box inside was white while the original is black. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #252 of 454
  The separation and clarity with the guitar and drums in the beginning is like bliss. No special DAP or AMP.

Straight driven off spotify from my MacBook pro. Such amazing sound. Cant get over how good some songs are.

It's amazing how spoiled we've got.

I bought Hell Freezes over on DVD when it came out circa 1999.

I had a 480P Monitor and shortly thereafter got an HDTV around 2001.

That video quality I thought then was great.

But now that I am watching 4K and 1080P, the video does not hold up well especially on 75" TV's.

But the sound on that DVD does in spades.   Never fully appreciated Timothy Schmidt untill I watched that DVD on an HD screen through ML Monoliths w/Velodyne sub

It really shines on the IE800s.  I suspect it sounds great on the the clones as well!

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #253 of 454
Yes. The fakes had GIANT bass, like unbelievable, about nothing from 300Hz to 5kHz, and then laptop speaker treble response. They were more sensitive than the real ones too.

There's no way the sound could be mistaken for the real thing. The resolution wasn't there. That is, unless you equate bass quantity with overall quality. In that case, holy smokes.

I am also very curious to know what you owned previously as well.

Sorry for the late response, but i own
JVC XX
KZ ED 9 & 10
Monster Turbine pro
Rock Zircon
Dunu Titan
AKG Y2OU
MEE M6

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #254 of 454
Yes. The fakes had GIANT bass, like unbelievable, about nothing from 300Hz to 5kHz, and then laptop speaker treble response. They were more sensitive than the real ones too.

There's no way the sound could be mistaken for the real thing. The resolution wasn't there. That is, unless you equate bass quantity with overall quality. In that case, holy smokes.

I am also very curious to know what you owned previously as well.

No "giant" bass. I used them out the box and literally my mouth dropped. Better than anything I owned. Mind you I don't have the loot to drop $600+ on Iem's. But it was a listening experience I yet to have had since. I hope to one day buy the real deals, or something comparable( cheaper ) to the real deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back