Fake IE8
Nov 25, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #91 of 148
I can confirm fake IE8s.

I recently purchased genuine IE8s from J&R in New York City for $400. They are amazing.

However, I saw some IE8s on eBay from a person (a person selling them, not a company--and this person had ~300 feedback and 100% feedback). The pictures looked similar to my IE8s, but when I got these (I paid $200 for by the way), they sounded nothing like my genuine IE8s.

The build quality is shockingly similar to the genuine IE8s. I can say this because when I first held them, I thought they were as real as the IE8s I purchased from J&R. Very hard to tell they are fakes unless you have real IE8s by your side for comparison. But the giveaways are:

1) The R/L signs on the real IE8s are angled to fit the contour of the body. The fakes don't have this angled contour, and they are more or less straight "printed" on the body.

2) The fake IE8s have two thicker lines surrounding the S in the Sennheiser logo. The genuine Sennheisers have two very thin lines surrounding the S.

3) The genuine IE8s have this red type of chip or something near the input into the driver (since you can see it through the transparent wiring). The fake IE8s lacked this red chip or whatever it is.

And of course the sound. The bass was muffled, overpronounced. No soundstage whatever. Horrible treble. Basically it sounded like trash.

In addition, the packaging on the genuine IE8s have this pronounced texture on the outside where you can feel the headphones (I forgot what this is called, it's basically like raised so you can "feel" the imprint on the front). The fake IE8 packaging barely has this pronunciation of the texture. Also, the fake IE8 packaging is significantly lighter/faded than the real IE8 packaging.

Do yourself a favor and shell out the retail price for some real IE8s. You will not regret your purchase and won't have to deal with fakes.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #92 of 148
I got my IE8 at a deep discount too - around $230 late last year.. they aren't fake~I got them from this UK website, I think many others did that too
redface.gif
IE8 actually looks so cheap inside... just a dynamic driver, not as complicated as the triple drivers balanced armature.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #93 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidVictory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can confirm fake IE8s.

I recently purchased genuine IE8s from J&R in New York City for $400. They are amazing.

However, I saw some IE8s on eBay from a person (a person selling them, not a company--and this person had ~300 feedback and 100% feedback). The pictures looked similar to my IE8s, but when I got these (I paid $200 for by the way), they sounded nothing like my genuine IE8s.

The build quality is shockingly similar to the genuine IE8s. I can say this because when I first held them, I thought they were as real as the IE8s I purchased from J&R. Very hard to tell they are fakes unless you have real IE8s by your side for comparison. But the giveaways are:

1) The R/L signs on the real IE8s are angled to fit the counter of the body. The fakes don't have this angled contour, and they are more or less straight "printed" on the body.

2) The fake IE8s have two thicker lines surrounding the S in the Sennheiser logo. The genuine Sennheisers have two very thin lines surrounding the S.

3) The genuine IE8s have this red type of chip or something near the input into the driver (since you can see it through the transparent wiring). The fake IE8s lacked this red chip or whatever it is.

And of course the sound. The bass was muffled, overpronounced. No soundstage whatever. Horrible treble. Basically it sounded like trash.

In addition, the packaging on the genuine IE8s have this pronounced texture on the outside where you can feel the headphones (I forgot what this is called, it's basically like raised so you can "feel" the imprint on the front). The fake IE8 packaging barely has this pronunciation of the texture. Also, the fake IE8 packaging is significantly lighter/faded than the real IE8 packaging.

Do yourself a favor and shell out the retail price for some real IE8s. You will not regret your purchase and won't have to deal with fakes.

Are you able to take pictures? I'd like to see, if it's not too much trouble.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #94 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you able to take pictures? I'd like to see, if it's not too much trouble.

Yes, I've taken several pictures of them side by side. I will probably make a thread for it sometime this week, and I'll post some of the pictures in this thread.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #96 of 148
SolidVictory,
Can you burn-in and see how it sounds? Once a while someone posted, although fake, it was worth the price. In your case, does it sound like a $200 earphone? Just curious. And, if that can make you feel better...

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #97 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidVictory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I've taken several pictures of them side by side. I will probably make a thread for it sometime this week, and I'll post some of the pictures in this thread.

PLease upload the pics, i just received an unit from "audio_ access" storefront on amazon by 270$ aprox. I need to comprare with original pics to know if this unit is genuine or not. Thanks!

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #98 of 148
Check the connectors at both ends. They should be translucent and you should be able to see small wires. Also check the y connector. It should be translucent as well with a visible circuit board. From what I have read, the fake ones are not translucent.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #100 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would be great to see the pics for comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

I have created a thread with all of my comparison pictures. You can view it here.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #102 of 148
i got mine for around 11,500 php ($230). definitely legit. i also got it from the link posted here a couple of pages ago. he sells both packaged and unpackaged versions. got the unpackaged ones. i could tell they were legit from the sound alone and how it changed during burn-in(i'd say mine is around 20-30 hrs now). definitely what i expected and more, after reading the entire IE8 appreciation thread hehe.

Solidvictory's post confirms it.

looking at it closely, my unit has all the characteristics of a legit IE8. of course i couldnt confirm the difference with the box because mine didnt come with one LOL.

so i really don't know how the unpackaged versions came to be. maybe they were overstocks or with a little factory defect from china. but definitely, if you wanna go the cheaper route, unpackaged ones are legit. just my 0.02 cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #104 of 148
Hey guys, I was looking at this ebay listing for a pair of IE8's in Australia:

Sennheiser IE8 In-Ear Earphones Brand New In Box - eBay Earphones, Headphones, Earbuds, MP3 Player Accessories, Electronics. (end time 29-Nov-09 19:28:14 AEDST)

Where the bidding is going atm, it looks pretty attractive. I am however worried about the authenticity of the listing. The seller says that he is unable to simply return them to the Apple Store because he has lost the receipt - and he sent me a few other higher resolution pictures, most of them of the box. Now, I was able to use the barcode on the box to call up the Apple store and verify that they did indeed sell these headphones to someone on the 5th November (I'm not even sure they were supposed to tell me that, privacy?). However, at most this tells me that this guy has a real ie8 BOX - for instance he could buy a real pair and swap them out for fakes.

Supposedly, the 'better earphones' he were gifted are Bose earphones - I don't even know what to make of that, since I can't imagine how any Bose earphones would be better than the ie8's. I would expect a scammer to be a bit more cunning?
regular_smile .gif
Then again, he did pay full retail price at the Apple Store, which is basically insane.

If you guys can help me think of ways to confirm the authenticity of these headphones - I've attached the one high resolution picture of the phones themselves that he has sent me. If these are real, and I can win the bid, I'd be very happy.

Otherwise, how hard would it be to get Paypal to recognise that these are non-geunuine if I did indeed end up paying for fakes?

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #105 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting your take, rolz. That gives me peace of mind at least. I'm looking to get a packaged version from the same seller soon, can't wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

ey kababayan! hehehe

trust in sir meiroque. i got my cx500 from him last year. very cool guy.
smily_headphones1.gif

was thinking of getting the packaged one but price difference is too much for me. and i already have lots of extra tips from my cx500 so it was a no brainer for me.

can anybody comment on the sound of the "fake" ones. i'm assuming all the fake ones are boxed since i think it would be pretty hard to sell fakes that are unboxed. they are pretty good fakes though, almost looks the same. win't get past the watchful eye of SolidVictory though heheehe
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back