Fake Beats Lineup: A Social Experiment, IN REVIEW
Mar 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #77 of 88
I kind of want to buy these.

I wish there were some way I could make more copies. But, the shell was a fluke, given to me by accident I suppose (I was supposed to get a pair that looked less like the Studios) and finding these XB500 drivers is getting really difficult for the price. I wish I could make you a pair, but if you look around for yourself, you could easily make a pair nearly identical to the ones I've made for less than 100 bucks. These are a nice addition to any bassheads collection. :)

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #79 of 88
I just stumbled on this thread.

When I have listened in the stores I wonder why anybody would spend more than $10 on these.

I realized it's all about fashion.  It's a shame they seller is no longer on ebay.  I would buy a pair to wear on my neck all day.

Haha

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #81 of 88
I just stumbled on this thread.

When I have listened in the stores I wonder why anybody would spend more than $10 on these.

I realized it's all about fashion.  It's a shame they seller is no longer on ebay.  I would buy a pair to wear on my neck all day.

Haha

I totally can relate to the whole wearing them around your neck thing. When I'm out in public, running errands and whatnot, I usually take them along. I still am shocked at how many people stop me and ask about the headphones, and if I'd recommend them. I always say no, and I've modded mine to my personal taste, and that they should look at alternatives for sound. When I have to talk to a cashier or someone in a store, the headphones go into necklace mode. And I have to admit, they do look good, don't get me wrong. But still, that's 300 dollars for a necklace if you buy the real deal.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #83 of 88
So let me get this straight... You buy a pirated version of their headphones, and then you insist on personally advertising for Beats?

Not at all. More like, I wear them around, and when people ask about them, I usually explain that they are fake and I have built essentially my own version of the Studios for much less. The reactions I get from them... Priceless. Also, the guys that actually own a pair of legit studios can't hardly tell by the looks that they are fakes. Then I tell them how much I paid, they go into denial. I love it. Definitely one of the best social experiments I've ever conducted.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #85 of 88
How exactly did you go about putting a different driver in the headphones? How does that work?

Here is my step by step guide.

1. Find a pair of donor housings (beats)

2. Find a pair of driver donor headphones (xb500)

3. Melt contacts of all speakers with soldering iron, leaving the wires as long as they can be, still intact.

4. Glue the new drivers into position (make sure the drivers fit inside the housings completely before going any further... Or to start for that matter. So this part of the step is part of step 1.)

5. Solder wires onto lead/metal contacts to the drivers. Use excess lead solder if necessary.

6. Re-assemble your new headphones. Project completed. :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #86 of 88
One learns a bit about headphone mechanics by spending time in the various Grado mods threads :wink:

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #88 of 88
I want to recreate your project but I'm having problems finding a fake pair.

Time to check those Chinese websites then. ioffer and aliexpress have them all the time. Go there for good deals.

Notice: I do not necessarily suggest these as "go to" sites, however, I have never had any problems with either website. And this, I suggest you check out either of these sites, or look for another.

You will most likely have to wait for a good fake beats deal on sites like eBay for a while. I just got lucky and scored 2 pairs from 2 different sellers in the past month alone.

Best of luck to you, mate! :) -BiggBenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back