Fake Beats Lineup: A Social Experiment, IN REVIEW
Aug 22, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #48 of 88
Quote:
Fake Solo HD: $12.

Looks: Not much to say on the positive side. These fakes are pretty bad on the looks front. Quite a few things don't match up with the real ones. 1. The cable is not detachable, and it goes in both sides of the headphones. Also, the cable 2. There is no "beats by dr. dre" logo on the headband itself. 3. There are no monster logos on any part of the headphones. There is only the "b" logo on the backs of the earcups. 4. No 2nd layer of plastic. Look at some real Solos and see for yourself, there are 2 layers of plastic around the headphones, and the ones I have only have 1 layer. 5. The earpads are not plushy or well made at all. Very poor feeling, they allow the headphones to slide around on your ears, which is annoying. Total score, 4/10 just because the main frame is shaped like the real deal and they do fold up.

Sound: I got these out of the box about a week ago from writing this, and I have to say that I was, and still am, impressed. They sound almost EXACTLY the same as the real ones. Very impressed for $12. They sound as good as my Monoprice 8323, which is a weird comparison in itself. But anyway, if I did a blind test with these, I believe they would easily fool a true Beats user into thinking that these are the real deal. Total score, 8/10.

Overall: 6/10. While they might not look legit, they sound legit. And to me, that is what truly matters in any headphones, no matter what the brand may be.

they make solo's that are nearly identical to the real ones, including the cable.

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #51 of 88
Quote:

well Dealextream.com is making a liar out of me, apperently they stopped selling fake beats. Look on e-bay a little bit, you can find them I'm sure.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #52 of 88
This all reminds me of an experiment I saw.

They took an expensive glass of fine wine and put it in a discount 3.99 bottle of wine and it got very bad reviews.

They then took the cheap $3.99 wine and put it in an expensive wine bottle and it got very good reviews.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #53 of 88

They took an expensive glass of fine wine and put it in a discount 3.99 bottle of wine and it got very bad reviews.

They then took the cheap $3.99 wine and put it in an expensive wine bottle and it got very good reviews.

This just continues to show why I LOVE social experiments. Psychology is great. :)

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #56 of 88
Quote:

this is exactly what dr dre is doing 
eek.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #57 of 88
I guess I should never work in marketing, I don't seem to know what the masses like.

All Beats models look like $5 junk to me. They're like the phones that came with a cheap walkman in the '90s, but supersized. They didn't even put the effort into a cool logo. It's just... a "b"

Yet you go on Amazon and read a review of Beyerdynamics/Ultrasones/etc. and it's stuff like "Well they may not elite audiophile gear like Beats, but they get the job done."

I will never be a marketing pro...

Has there ever been an easier $300 electronics product for China to clone, since nobody who buys them even seems to care what they sound like and just wears them as a hat? Maybe the entire thing is a communist conspiracy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back