Fake ATH-ESW-9? (56K warning!)
Jun 13, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #211 of 330
What do you think about those?

y1p3cvjyhscgufcabzezemv.jpg

y1pthnkmxtb44skmrrutgfo.jpg

Can they be legit? Or is it fake? :p

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #212 of 330
They look real, where did you get them ?

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #213 of 330
I didn't yet
smily_headphones1.gif
I have an option to buy them almost for free, so I asked for some real photos, and thats what I got

ED!T

I can even see them on my own eyes before buying, is there any trick to recognize genuine one in a moment I touch them? :p

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #214 of 330
Listen to them.

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #215 of 330
The wood on the cups looks fake...

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #216 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquished /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wood on the cups looks fake...

I dunno, looks pretty real to me (notice the dimples from the wood grain along the outside edges)...but it's tough to be sure from those photos alone. If anything, those pads look suspiciously like pleather to me (vs. the real leather of a genuine set).

Waisetsubunsho, things to look into are (1) the grain of the wood -- if it looks computer-printed, they're definitely fakes, (2) the color of the voice coils inside the headphones (you have to take the pads off to see them) -- last I checked, they should be blue-colored and not copper-colored, (3) the plastic parts of the headphones -- they should be black with small, subtle flecks of gold, (4) whether the pads are leather -- they will look and smell like it, and (5) the "Right" and "Left" labels on the sides of the headband -- the area around the words should be slightly recessed, and the letters themselves should be thin, raised, and finely rendered in gold, not thick and messy-looking. And, as Scott Tarlow said, give them a listen; if the bass is loose, bloated, and washes over poor mids and non-existent highs, they're probably fakes.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #217 of 330
epithetless's post is spot on.

They can look completely authentic, you can't tell from just pictures, unless the picture is of the coils hidden under the pads (which can be removed).

If the coils look like copper then they are probably fakes. So far all the fakes have had copper coils.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo View Post
^^^LOLZ.

In reference to the thread, did anyone remove the pads? Take a peek at the driver, mine has a bluish green color surrounding the inner circle (voice coil). Does anyone have the same?

Please read pages 5 and 6 for my experience and useful information on if they are fake or not.

Of course, the sound is the defining factor.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #218 of 330
What bothers me about my ESW10jpns is the box contents are japanese/english but there is a audiotechnica hong kong sticker on the side of the box below the outer shell on the side. it says No. G010349 does that mean 10,000? I thought only 1500 period?

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #219 of 330
I don't have a card either I have a sticker on the box with model # is that the legit way? no warranty "card" just a sticker

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #222 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by igor_f /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fake times just started.... I'm horrified by direction that our world moves...
Buyers be aware!

Not "just"...but, yeah, it is a shame.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #223 of 330
What do you expect for USD $ 16 ?
I mean, really, for $16 would you really expect the authentic headphones?

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #224 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you expect for USD $ 16 ?
I mean, really, for $16 would you really expect the authentic headphones?

Oh, most certainly not. The shame is that fakes are being made at all -- and then so brazenly sold.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #225 of 330
just got mine from above stated auction. They seem authentic:

Gold Flake - Check
Blue Coil - Check
Cups - Seem to be wooden, complete with dimples around edges
Pads - Look and smell like authentic leather, although one pad has some slightly damaged stitching, as if the pad was pulled.
Sound - Without having heard a pair before all I can say is they sound pretty damn good out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back