Fake ATH-ESW-9? (56K warning!)
Apr 1, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #91 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by galupo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the best way to remove the pads from this one.
Going to meet the seller tonight.

They come off easy enough. You can pull carefully along the edge of where the material goes under the hard part that is keeping it in place. I found that by grabbing along the stitching (closer to the headphone housing) it was fairly easy. Just work your way around, carefully pulling material free. The material that the pads are made of does stretch some but could be torn if you try it to quick or are impatient. To put back in place just repeat the process, pushing it back in place and stretching some if you need to.

Hope this helps.

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #92 of 330
Let us know what happened. thanks

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #93 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best way to verify is to lift one of the ear pads, carefully and slowly, off of the headphone. Underneath you should be able to see the coils within the driver. You want to see a blueish color coil. Fake versions of this headphone use cheap copper coils.

Quote:

2. Inner coil of the speaker, seen through the holes in the plastic after you take the ear pad off, is copper, not the blueish color that is mentioned on page 2 or so of this thread.

Er... so which is it?

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #94 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by GooWiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er... so which is it?

Copper - FAKE
Bluish coil - real deal (mentioned on page two or three of this thread)

This has since been verified by me as well, got a fake, in the process of being refunded, on ebay - had the copper inner coil.
Bought an authentic one from authorized seller, had the bluish coil.

Hope this helps.
happy_face1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #96 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ That only applies to the ESW9's right?

GooWiz, did you take apart your ESW10's? lol

ESW9's but I can assume that it may apply for the ESW10's.

Have to wait until somebody lands a fake and ask them to take off the pad. My assumption is that the copper is a cheaper component.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #97 of 330
I will let you guys know tomorrow.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #98 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ That only applies to the ESW9's right?

GooWiz, did you take apart your ESW10's? lol

I kinda tried to take the pad off gently, it didn't really budge so I wussed out and stopped lol. But if I look in by shining light, they look copper... But these look like the REAL DEAL. I mean the wood can't be fake, unless... the fakes use real laquered wood...
But then again, aren't the ESW10 driver's completely remade from the ESW9?

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #99 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My assumption is that the copper is a cheaper component.

Just curious, why would copper necessarily mean a cheaper component? I may be wrong, but there are high quality copper coils...

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #101 of 330
Quote:

Just curious, why would copper necessarily mean a cheaper component? I may be wrong, but there are high quality copper coils...

Just an assumption on my part. Since the fakes, both the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread, and the one I got from ebay had copper.
I'm not sure what the bluish coil is, maybe that is sometime of high quality copper material - that is not copper tinted?

Of course, when the pirates figure out that the coils are the giveaways they will figure out a way to make the coils look bluish in color!
frown.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #102 of 330
Apr 3, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #103 of 330
Quote:

I kinda tried to take the pad off gently, it didn't really budge so I wussed out and stopped lol. But if I look in by shining light, they look copper... But these look like the REAL DEAL. I mean the wood can't be fake, unless... the fakes use real laquered wood...
But then again, aren't the ESW10 driver's completely remade from the ESW9?

If unsure, find another ESW10 owner and ask to compare. If they are the same than likely not fakes. If different than one could be a fake...

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #104 of 330
Apr 3, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #105 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These appear to be fakes.
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 Dynamic Headphone Headset - eBay (item 370175682717 end time Apr-18-09 03:46:50 PDT)

The packaging is corrugated and the printing on the front is wrong.
The currgated packaging is the biggest and easiest let-off that these are fakes.
Audio Technica boxes are made of ultra thick cardstock.

If someone could give me a link to a set of fake ESW9's for $50, I would like to buy a pair as foster phones.

I think that the era of getting deals on these headphones on ebay is over.

Sorry guys, I think that you are stuck paying $275 and above.

that pic looks absolutely spot on, they aren't fakes, at least, thats a pic of a legit box and the headphones look legit too, albeit no real detail other than the bump on the metal frame where the cable enters the cups. Even has the three little patches at the bottom of the box that are slightly scored to ease the bending of the edge of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back