Fake ATH-ESW-9? (56K warning!)
Mar 27, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #76 of 330
Hello, yes I did buy the esw10jpn from the same auctioner that you got it from. From what I can tell, these seem legit, but then again I haven't been able to compare them to anything... But from what I've been reading, mine don't have any 'fake' characterisitcs...

1. 2 pouches, both very soft plain black cloth with audio-technica tag on the side of the big one. The large one is with pull-string, while the smaller one has velcro on the inside but leaves about an inch for the cable to go through. (The only thing else in the box other than the cans was a 2-page instructions sheet)
2. Left and Right writings on the cans are in gold not the white/silver crap
3. The box has the licensed warranty tag, the same one (the one on the right) shown from the link on Carlsan's post. However, I don't have the blue licensed security tag on the left. Only the right one with No. G009642 on the top right of mine.
4. Oh and most importantly, they do sound quite nice. On that note, if these are fake... then.. I guess I deserve to have gotten fakes if thought they sounded real.... >.<

One thing though.. my box wasn't shrink-wrapped... It was in a clear plastic bag, then covered in bubblewrap, but the original box wasn't shrink-wrapped... not that big of a deal breaker but I've seen some official pics online of them being shrinkwrapped... hmm plus he didn't bother to put in another box, and thus the original box got slightly bent.. oh well the headphones are perfectly undamaged.

I'll try to compare mine with the posted pics from the other post, but from what I can see these are pretty legit. If you guys would like, I can take some pictures and post them. Let me know

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #77 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These appear to be fakes.
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 Dynamic Headphone Headset - eBay (item 370175682717 end time Apr-18-09 03:46:50 PDT)

The packaging is corrugated and the printing on the front is wrong.
The currgated packaging is the biggest and easiest let-off that these are fakes.
Audio Technica boxes are made of ultra thick cardstock.

If someone could give me a link to a set of fake ESW9's for $50, I would like to buy a pair as foster phones.

I think that the era of getting deals on these headphones on ebay is over.

Sorry guys, I think that you are stuck paying $275 and above.

What makes you think that these are fake? They look just like the other legit boxes I've seen. Then again, I haven't really scrutinized them...

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #79 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^LOLZ.
wink_face.gif

In reference to the thread, did anyone remove the pads? Take a peek at the driver, mine has a bluish green color surrounding the inner circle (voice coil). Does anyone have the same?

My coil is copper
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #80 of 330
Take a close look at the wood ingrains Carlsan, the headphones I ordered from the same ebay seller that you did and the "wooden" cups had wood ingrains that were printed on in full pixelated glory.

I also took the ear pads off and unscrewed the 4 screws to remove the drivers. The cups from the inside were a beige colored plastic.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #82 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Oh ****, so they were fakes?

Did you ask for a refund?

I believe they are fakes. I did email and asked for a refund, not sure what will happen but since it is ebay, does not look good.

1. Documentation is not complete. There seems to be a warranty card but it does not include the serial number of the headphones. it is in Chinese but it does not appear to have an address to send it to like one would expect.
2. Inner coil of the speaker, seen through the holes in the plastic after you take the ear pad off, is copper, not the blueish color that is mentioned on page 2 or so of this thread.
3. The phone cable does indeed seem rubbery.
4. After playing these phones for four or more hours, the sound is not good. I would describe it as muddy and lacking any real detail. Like the sound of low end headsets.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #83 of 330
For anyone interested in buying this from a retailer instead of gambling with ebay sellers, both Amazon (through Beach Camera) and Buy.com are selling it for around $225 with free shipping and possibly no tax.
Beach Camera is also selling it directly on their site for the same price.

Best price for the real deal.

Edit:
For the record, the ebay seller gave me a full refund and told me to keep the fakes. He was very apologetic and said that he was misinformed by his contacts in China.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #85 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit:
For the record, the ebay seller gave me a full refund and told me to keep the fakes. He was very apologetic and said that he was misinformed by his contacts in China.
regular_smile .gif

That is pretty nice of him. I just hope mine aren't fake...

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #86 of 330
^ Your ESW10's won't be, and neither will mine. I highly doubt there would be any fakes circulating around. Besides, our seller is really nice, I have exchanged a lot of emails with them and well, since they're in Hong Kong, if something goes wrong, I do have contacts that can get in touch with them there.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #87 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is in Chinese but it does not appear to have an address to send it to like one would expect.

Well, that's a dead giveaway
smile_phones.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #88 of 330
Can I get some help verifying these.
A guy locally wants to sell them at a good price.

The warranty card and writing on back is in Japanese.

Can any one help me determine if these are fake.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #89 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by galupo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I get some help verifying these.
A guy locally wants to sell them at a good price.

The warranty card and writing on back is in Japanese.

Can any one help me determine if these are fake.

The best way to verify is to lift one of the ear pads, carefully and slowly, off of the headphone. Underneath you should be able to see the coils within the driver. You want to see a blueish color coil. Fake versions of this headphone use cheap copper coils.

I mentioned this several post above in my list of what to look for with the fakes:

Quote:

2. Inner coil of the speaker, seen through the holes in the plastic after you take the ear pad off, is copper, not the blueish color that is mentioned on page 2 or so of this thread.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #90 of 330
What is the best way to remove the pads from this one.
Going to meet the seller tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back