Fake ATH-ESW-9? (56K warning!)
Dec 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #302 of 330
Bought mine from Adorama Camera for $219. Box looks legit with the exception of the Deutch and Paddock misspellings (only the Spanish section on the back of the box correctly spelled Padauk). My ESW9 has all the 'legit' markers. Blue coils, raised bump where the cables go in, wood grains, the recessed oval area with raised left/right markers, the gold flakes on the black plastic.

They sound phenomenal and the way the legit ESW9's sound is described. Warm signature, slow but deep bass, sweeeeeet mids, and tonally balanced treble.

I want CLEAR pictures depicting the CORRECT spellings on people's so called 'legit' ESW9As.

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #303 of 330
Mine too have all the features you've mentioned.

There has to be someone out there who has their legit box who could read the back of the box, or better yet post a picture.

There are a lot of people in this thread who would find it very useful.

Thank you.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #306 of 330
Hi all.  To Budman021's post: those are fakes as i was the one who was selling them. they did not sound too bad, certainly not as good as the real ones.  I was not certain they were fakes until i recieved some legit ones from beach camera.  I picked them up online from a drop shipper. I have comparison pics for all to see of the boxes and the phones.  i ended up giving the fakes to my dad.  The thing with these is that they have a wood housing like the real ones and the only differences  are those that you would have to actually touch to tell.  All except the gold flaking in the plastic on the real and not in the fake. 

• the headbands look identical in any pic but the fake has an audible squeak when you rub it almost like the one made when you rub a wet dish. it is obviously not lamb leather. The real is softer and has a slight grippy feel to it.
  • Next the right and left sign on the fakes(on right) has a much higher gloss and is part of the piece of plastic at the top of the earcup.  The real(left) left and right sign seems to be attached to that piece of plastic as it has no gold flecks in it.  
  • Another indicator is that the real(left), When you touch the lettering on the earcup, has raised lettering. The fakes(right) have almost identical lettering but it can not be felt as you run your finger over it. 
  • Another tactile difference is the cord. The fakes have a noticeable rubbery feel to them and the real ones have a smooth cord sheathing. The cord splitter for the fakes seem to be made of the same material of the cord, that soft rubbery stuff.  The real cord splitter is noticeably different from the cord material.
  • Under the ear pads the fakes have a white papery material covering the screws to open the earcup and the real has a black felt.  anlso in the pics you can see the bluish coil in the real and the silvery one in the fakes.  
  • There is a resistance when you turn the real's earcups that is not present with the fakes.
  • I took apart the earcup to find that there was indeed real wood in the fakes but i did not brave taking the real ones apart(at least not until I attempt a recable or the foam mod). I might take out the fake drivers and put in some portapro drivers instead to test how they would sound as closed phones.
  • The final difference is in the sound. Sorry to budman021 for saying they sound great but i had nothing to compare them to.  Compared to the real, the fakes sound muffled with muddy bass and recessed highs.  The bass hump is quite large compared to the real ones. Also the clarity is only a little more than half as good.
Just want ted to put out a heads up.

Here are the boxes.
Left= fakes Right= real

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #307 of 330
I would really like someone with a pair known to be real, to check the back and see about the spelling thing, deutch and paddock?
Because i just received a pair from Antonline via amazon, for 230$ and they check out by me. They have the gold flecks, the lettering on the cups, the lamb skin, real wood, the cord, and all the other things. However my case says Paddock and Deutch, so i'm kinda confused?
Personally i think they sound great! But then again, i never had any other "high end" headphones before, so what would i know?

Anyone know something?

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #308 of 330
candc07s post should be turned into a sticky topic since fakes are so common and finding definitive comparisons with the fake and real are not that easy to find or clearly described not only in text but with nice, clear pictures.  :)

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #309 of 330
I just got my pair, real version basing off of candc07's pictures, no point in me posting pics since they're the same.
I can confirm that the back does say Deutch and Paddock.

Quote:
I would really like someone with a pair known to be real, to check the back and see about the spelling thing, deutch and paddock?
Because i just received a pair from Antonline via amazon, for 230$ and they check out by me. They have the gold flecks, the lettering on the cups, the lamb skin, real wood, the cord, and all the other things. However my case says Paddock and Deutch, so i'm kinda confused?
Personally i think they sound great! But then again, i never had any other "high end" headphones before, so what would i know?

Anyone know something?

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #310 of 330
Apr 29, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #311 of 330
Just wondering if anybody has bought esw9's from accessoryjack.com before?

http://www.accessoryjack.com/-strse-1365/Audio-dsh-Technica-ATH-dsh-ESW9-ESW9-Sovereign/Detail.bok

The price is around $220 AUD and shipping is only $15 to me in Australia making it is the best deal I have seen.

With so many fakes I'm just trying to be extra careful.

Any help is appreciated 
smile.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #315 of 330
Heya. I think this link may be of help to anyone who still isn't sure.

http://forum.generationmp3.com/index.php?showtopic=71995

Also, anyone have a pair of fakes they wouldn't mind throwing my way? I'm thinking of trying to put some old ATH-ES7 drivers in an ATH-ESW9 frame.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back