Faces of Death: Did curiousity get the better of you?
Mar 23, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #17 of 38
Is it on DVD nowadays?
I saw it on videotape and I want my 2.99 and ninety minutes back.
but then I didn't rent it, my brother did, he's more gullible than I am.
it all evens out in the end.

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know about these days, but in the past I believe parts of Hong Kong (and likely other parts of Asia, however I've not looked into it) did serve that. I've not seen such a clip, but it was brought up in a discussion of some of the weirder things that people eat.

That clip is mentioned in wikipedia:
Monkey brain (cuisine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the article as well as what I read about on the net before, monkey brain cuisine is an urban legend.

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #19 of 38
I saw one of the Faces of Death at a party where the parents were out of town and they took the VCR but left a betamax. Some guys thought it would be funny to see if they could rent anything on beta, and Faces of Death was it.

It wasn't for me, real or fake, not my thing.

But I do like Muppet Faces of Death.

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by xzjia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That clip is mentioned in wikipedia:
Monkey brain (cuisine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the article as well as what I read about on the net before, monkey brain cuisine is an urban legend.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate watching that crap.

X2

Totally over the top for me as it's a mix-up of real and staged events. Absolutely disgusting tv.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #23 of 38
Looked into it a bit, 7:20am..need to sleep, also need to force myself to fix my sleeping schedule =/

From the little I found, I would conclude that I'm wrong about the monkey brain being served live. Seems anecdotal stories pass on quite strong. Did not find any solid proof to support the idea of the live monkey brain being served. Any support found seems to have also been anecdotal. While it may have happened for various reasons in specific cases, in no way have I come across anything to substantiate the "cuisine" aspect that I previously was in the belief of.

I am a bit curious as to the resources available to whomever is related to that maxent article. Quote:

Monkey brains off the menu in central Africa. Reuters, January 2002. Monkey brains aren't even mentioned in this article: it is just a shamelessly sensationalistic title. I also can't find the original source, so it may be just made up anyhow.

I used the Expanded Academic ASAP database and found the article by only searching the title. Quick and easy citation generated by the databse.
Quote:

Lawson, Antoine. "Monkey brains off the menu in central Africa. (News)." Clinical Infectious Diseases 34.4 (Feb 15, 2002): i(1). Expanded Academic ASAP. Gale. UC Irvine. 23 Mar. 2008
<http://find.galegroup.com/itx/start.do?prodId=EAIM>.

The comments about the monkey brains not being mentioned in the article itself, is correct. The section is maybe 10 sentences long as most. It talks about bushmeat being banned because of Ebola virus contamination.
The source being "Clinical Infection Diseases" (quite reputable, info about the source here)

The only references/occurences I did find about monkey brain being consumed, were in scenarios where it was either considered a health remedy or "possibly" consumed only for the basic raw need of survival, in which case anything edible could/will be used as such (and this would most likely be the case for the article mentioned above).

Normally I wouldn't look into it, but since learning about 'herd behavior/cognitive biases/and the like' in a class that combined various aspects of economics, sociology, and psychology this event seemed like a real life example of how I'd fallen into herd behavior. The short gist of this would be 'A' telling information to 'B', 'B' in turn telling it to 'C', and 'C' passing it back to 'A'. Upon hearing the same information from 'C', 'A' now has a strengthened belief in the same information. I was thinking I'd be able to better avoid such things with what I'd learned from that class.
redface.gif

I thank you for pointing this out to me, was quite fun.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those movies blur fantasy / reality and anyone who watches them has problems.

Mitch

X2
I have watched my Father, Grandmother, and two good friends take threre last breath. Nothing entertaining about it.

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 38
Maybe I'm weird..But I can't watch any animal cruelty at all.. With humans it's a little easier.. & if you think people are sick for watching death on DVD, I guess DR's are very sick & twisted, since they see it all the time in ER.. I'm sure they relish in it..
cool.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'm weird..But I can't watch any animal cruelty at all.. With humans it's a little easier.. & if you think people are sick for watching death on DVD, I guess DR's are very sick & twisted, since they see it all the time in ER.. I'm sure they relish in it..
cool.gif

Did I mention I wasn't the only one who left the party?

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool.gif

same

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw a number of them when I was quite a bit younger. Disturbing to say the least. The worst I can remember was a particular scene where a suicide (jumper) was captured on film and, for whatever reason, they chose to place a soundtrack with it that started with a "1, a 2, a 1-2-3-4" synched to the jump, and was followed by some jazz-bop tune. Something about the goofy presentation really put me off and stuck with me, despite being completely devoid of any real graphic content. The makers of those "films" are sick.

For me, the absolute top wasn't even involving a human being. It was filmed at a restaurant that served live monkey, brain only. Anyone who's seen it knows what I'm talking about and I won't go into detail here. I started contemplating vegetarianism that very day (still am, haven't bit the bullet).

The monkey bothered me very much as well and I will say that I understand the curiosity people have for these movies, but I willl say that if you are riding the fence then please dont watch them. The scenes of the electric chair made me realize the chair is barbaric and just plain wrong, I beleive in the death penalty but not like that, just makes us monsters too.

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #30 of 38
Ive seen a few clips. Did not enjoy it. It makes death into entertainment, and there is nothing entertaining about death. I think the people who produce these films release these films for all the wrong reasons, which makes it all the more disturbing. I will do whatever it takes to avoid watching anything further of this type for the rest of my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back